Author Topic: Crosswind landing  (Read 3850 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Crosswind landing
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:01 pm »
Hi mates,

after some very unsuccessfull crosswind landing with 747 I thought I will raise this question: how do you perform the crosswind landing ?

Let's see real world: Probably many of you have seen videos where the plane is landing 2-5 degrees "off-course". The plane touches ground on the centerline with the main gears (nose is sideways toward wind), and the pilot suddenly steps the plane sidewards and correct the missalignement with the centerline. This is probably done by rudders...

I tried it many times but no success on some planes. If you try to correct the missalignement by banking, the wind will blast you off the runway, just like the unlucky Lufthansa pilot tried it before the wingtip touched the runway surface. But using the rudder is impossible on models where the main gears have a turning part too (B747, B777 for instance):

As you can see, the turning wheel turns together with rudder, and so (I assume) it will drive the plane off the runway. I cant perform much better with these aircraft.

What is your technic to do that ? Maybe turn the plane with differential brakes ? In reality it is easy because for cornering the plane there is another device, but in FS it is linked with rudder pedals...

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

EHM-1671 Ben

Crosswind landing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:58:11 pm »
Hi Robert,

Originally posted by EHM-1001 Robert
Let's see real world: Probably many of you have seen videos where the plane is landing 2-5 degrees "off-course". The plane touches ground on the centerline with the main gears (nose is sideways toward wind), and the pilot suddenly steps the plane sidewards and correct the missalignement with the centerline. This is probably done by rudders...

When I'm in this situation I fly the approach to compensate for the wind (as shown in your diagram), and shortly before I touch down I re-align the nose with the centerline - done properly, my main gear will touch down just after I have centered the nose. The timing can be difficult, and I am still working to master it ;)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Crosswind landing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:45:51 am »
Yes, but that is hard. I mean if you apply rudder to be aligned with the centerline but release it at touchdown, the wind will turn you "back" to the wrong angle.

I am going to try it with PMDG-747, maybe that model is better in handling the problem...

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Crosswind landing
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:32 am »
Wow ! The PMDG 747 is marvellous !

I could easily land her in 25kts crosswind ! I used the rudders after touchdown and the plane turned aligned as I wanted.

I could not do it with the brand new POSKY model either. Although it did not drove me off the runway (the rear main gears do not corner above a certain speed) but the new "True feel" dynamics makes this plane so heavy that I could not turn it aligned, only after the nosegear touchdown too, but then I was too far from the centerline.

I think the problem I showed originally is simply a weakness of the MelJet B747. :[

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Crosswind landing
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »
With the ordinary EHM B747, I find it quite fun to do the Crosswind landings. I wouldn't say the physics of the plane are the best but when you get it right, you know what I mean ;D

but PMDG is always superior of course ;)

anything