Author Topic: Kaspersky Anti-virus help needed!  (Read 6079 times)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Kaspersky Anti-virus help needed!
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:07:58 pm »
Hi all,

I'm not the smartest at technical stuff, but this has confused me.

Whenever I search something into google, if I click on any result, it comes up with a different website which looks typically "adware-like". I just bought Kaspersky 2009 complete edition as it was reccommended to me by my computer technician and I made it do a full system scan. It came up with loads of corrupted files, but I cannot click the "disinfect all" button.

How do I get rid of these files?

EHM-2288 Glenn

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm working as a computer technican, and often this can only be solved by doing a reinstall/recovery of Windows

This is because some of your system files can be infected, and the only way/easiest way to solve this is to take a complete reinstall

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »
Oh dear.

Well, I'm going to call my Computer technician tomorrow, so hopefully he can shed some light into this. I'll tell you all what happens:[

EHM-2288 Glenn

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:55:25 pm »
As I told you, hopefully I'm wrong about this. But that's the only thing I can figure out, with the reason you wrote here. When you can't delete or touch those files, it's almost every time because they are in use. When you enable a virus scan, you are not using many other programs at the same time.

The only thing I can figure out is to google for the antivirus program called: "Avast". Free of charge. Avast starts a scanning before windows starts up, and delete/repair broken files, before windows take those files in use. Maybe that can be a solution, if not, maybe your Virus program can be set-up to take a virus scan, before Windows starts. But hopefully the system files are ok, so that you don't need to take full recovery of your computer.

I'm looking forward to listen to the solution of this problem.

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:54:31 pm »
That's a shame because I had Avast installed and the reason I switched to Kaspersky is because it didn't work in detecting the virus :]

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:42:33 am »
Hi Matt,

Normally it's "malware", not a virus.

A Malware is just a piece of software script that interacts with your system when you do something specifically (on that case to open websites).

Anti-virus don't catch those. So, you should have a specific malware cleaner for that malware script.

Offline EHM-2310 Mark

• Starting engines
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:56 am »
Yeah, sounds like malware to me. Have a look at these 3 programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy (www.spybot.com)
Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.com)
Threatfire (www.threatfire.com)

One of them should clean up your PC.. and they're free for non-commercial use too :-)

Cheers

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:16:05 pm »
Well, I called Dave, the computer guy ;D

He said I had a very "tricky" form of Malware on my computer, and after battling with it for 2 hours, he managed to get rid of it. It was scary as he'd uninstall Kaspersky and say "Matt, the computer is unprotected and in your hands while I install this anti-virus". I felt like I was in the Chernobyl control room!

Thanks for your help guys! ;D

EHM-2288 Glenn

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:07 pm »
Great. My worst case scenario didn't get reality. Great :)

Hopefully he got rid of everything, so you don't get the same problem at a later stage.

But I hope it turns out great for your computer. Nice job of your computer guy Dave. :)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 10:07:38 pm »
Hi Matt !

Just red your problem and I think it is funny. I got into the same situation in the office - you probably visited a nasty page, aren't you ;D - and if I remember well, the Kaspersky was used that time, and that could kill the bastard invader with an easy quick scan. Maybe these bugwares became smarter and smarter. ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 05:25:01 pm »
If you guys want to know, it actually came from Yahoo (no, I wasn't searching for nasty pages ;D).

Dave (he's like a prophet to me now) said there is a lot of malware on search engines, so it is best to regularly check your computer for viruses and whatnot. Although these things rarely ever happen, when they do happen, they happen bad :o