Author Topic: Favorite Real World Aiport  (Read 5280 times)

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
Favorite Real World Aiport
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to find out what your favourite real world airport is and why? I'll start...

Favourite Airport: Keflavik International Airport
Reason: architecture, design & size

Will be interested to see all your opinions. ;)

Regards,

Brian
Brian McGloughlin /  EHM-1980

EHM-1671 Ben

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:56:11 pm »
Ooooh, tough question.... I have many ;D

My favorite retreat is Jackson Hole, WY, USA (KJAC) because it has such fantastic scenery, especially in winter. It's only a small airport but I can still land my 757 there :)

EHM-2288 Glenn

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:57:34 pm »
I have two favourite airports, when it comes to weather conditions, and the surroundings around the airport. The first one is Trondheim, Vaernes. ENVA. If you get the approach route which comes from the east, you have to slide down the hills sorrunding the airport. And everybody knows that when you fly low over various terrains, like high mountains, there will surely be some turbulence, and local wind directions. Very fun and difficult approach.

The other one is also in Norway, this is Tromso Langnes airport. ENTC. Here you will have a approach route over the sea, with some mountains coming straight up from the sea at both sides of the aircraft's approach route. It looks like a vally, but with water as ground material, and not rock solid ground.

Also northern parts of Norway is vell known, because of difficult weather, specially in the winter season.

Enjoy a flight in Norway, and maybe the Scandinavian Tour will be your next mission?

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:04:41 pm »
Hi,

My favorite airport is one that already closed: Kai Tak (VHHH). Terrific approach, on a too much populated city.

Offline EHM-2222 Cheuk

• Ready for take-off
    • Torzer's weblog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:35:01 am »
My favourite airport is none other than Chek Lap Kok Intl, Hong Kong, VHHH! (HK's new airport) I love their viewing mall!!! ;D And I agree with Bruno, the terrific approach to Kai Tak Runway 13!

EHM-1821 Javier

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 06:32:33 am »
I love my local airport ;D

Singapore Changi International WSSS!

Construction started in June 1975, opened in 1981 and only fully completed by 1989, it's an old airport! About half of the current airport(that was completed in 1989) is built on reclaimed land and swamp! Its so old, in fact, its the first aviation hub anywhere in asia! Yet, its still fighting with younger airports in Asia like the Hong Kong!

It's one of the world's most-awarded airports (280 awards from 1987-2007 ;D), home to the world's most-awarded airline ;D
It's also the first airport to handle an in-service A380 ;D

What i like most about the airport is the iconic control tower, those huge SIA Hangars (3 wide-bodies side-by-side! with no columns!) and lastly, its my home airport ;D

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:31:02 am »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies to this topic. I was very interested to hear about your favourite airports! There are so many great airports in the world that I absolutely love but narrowing it down to one was very hard so i appreciate your answers!

Javier you certainly love your airport dont you! :] Excellent...

Kind Regards,

Brian

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:23:15 pm »
I am going to sound nuts when I say this.

I can't remember it's name, but it's ICAO code is LKPR and it's Prague's airport. It has some brilliant terminal architecture and a d**n good Sushi bar.
I had to stay at that airport for 7 hours, and I wasn't bored one second!

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
I've been there also Matt.... Its called Ruzyne as far as I know and I totally agree with you in regards to its architecture..... impressive!! I didnt try out that Sushi bar mind you !! ;D

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:14:34 am »
I also like the Tokyo Intl RJTT Airport too, made overland ... impressive.