Author Topic: Picasso in the sky  (Read 2953 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Picasso in the sky
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »
Tried to see if what I had done so far would solve the GFX issue I had last Croissière Noire flight. Did that by flying leg 4 GAGO-DNSO off line (with IVaP running, but not connected, as it may be part of the problem). Now I didn't get my GFX problem, but I did suffer my first ever engine failure!

Here's some pictures:
Half way through, at 25000 ft, engine #2 produced smoke, and had to be shut down. Descending in a spiral pattern, because I was over an airfield with a nice long runway already. Picture #1 is on the downwind leg:

You can still see the spiral pattern near the sun if you look closely (hence the Picasso).

Turning to base, I disengaged the autopilot. I had already swithed off autorudder, so here I am trying to compensate a-symmetrical thust with my keyboard rudder:

"Tower, I can never get a clean approach if you don't stop moving the aerodrome around!"

I did manage to land, and ON the runway, even. Probably with a PP penalty for excessive G-forces, but who cares! We did not crash!

Notice the cross- and tailwind component? I probably should have gone for rwy 27 i.o rwy 09.

Well, after a bit of cumbersome taxiing: runway vacated!
Quick, get a safe place, kill the remaining engine, and let the firedepartment worry about the follow-up.

Phewww...
I'll probably be having nightmares tonight.

And the best news is: I will go fly leg 4 of C.N. within the given timeframe, cause my GFX problem did not re-occur.

See yáll up there!
Eric-Jan
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
Picasso in the sky
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:44:09 pm »
haha, great pictures mate! I also almost crashed when was landing on GAGO ... but made it nicely ;)