Author Topic: Formula 1 is now ugly...  (Read 3628 times)

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Formula 1 is now ugly...
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:52 am »
I dont know how many of you follow this sport, but taken we're all interested in airplanes, and we have a F1 PP event, I guess some of you are.

I just wanna rant about how awful these new regulation cars look. Not meaning any offense but they do look like american indy racers now and thats just wrong.

I hate the new cars. I dont know if they go faster or slower but they're the worst looking F1 cars ever.
The 50s had the daring and the rawness of pure speed and recklessness. The 60s had the innovation, with ailerons and spoilers coming into town. The 70s and 80s brought more innovation, the monocoques, the ground effect cars, tons of grip and reaching the limits of the human body. The 90s brought us the safety, being the last death in the sport in 94, the F1 genius, Senna.
And so far the 2000s had brought us the engeneering, with the power restrictions and the grip restrictions on grooved tyres, the designers had to squeeze all the potential of the aerodynamics.
It saddens me that the end of this decade will go with these abominations with their huge front spoiler and tiny rear one.

I leave you with these two images...

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Formula 1 is now ugly...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:27:21 am »
I agree! Ugly!

That rear spoiler in no way "belongs" to the rest of the vehicle. It looks like a dog with three legs!
As a mechanical engineer myself, I do like an engineering challenge to meet ever increasing demands under more stringent rules. But this has flipped to the visually unacceptable stage!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Formula 1 is now ugly...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:37:33 pm »
I think it is better to get rid off last years crazy manga-style winglets and spoilers... a real sportcar should not look like that! I prefer the cleaner design, although I agree the rear wing looks very bad...

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Formula 1 is now ugly...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 07:17:52 pm »
I agree Robert that the winglets flaps and stuff might have gone a bit overboard last season, but Formula 1 was all about who had the better ideas to pull ahead... when the engines are limited and the tires are grooved... everything is restricted...
I think its taking a wrong turn. They say they wanna cut down costs but they come up with the new KERS is extremely expensive to develop, dangerous, and frankly I dont think it'll be any good. And variable aerodynamic settings, like if the pilots needed yet more buttons on their steering wheel...

Still this is about the looks of the cars... I miss the early 2000s to be honest =)

I reckon the FIA will get so many complaints and criticism... these rules wont last for next season. Here's to hoping