Author Topic: This doesn\'t look so good....  (Read 3317 times)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
This doesn\'t look so good....
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:15 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7874937.stm

Looks like FSX might be the last of the simulators :[

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:15 pm »
Better make good use of it then! (re-installing FSX as we "speak")

FSX sales have been under budget from its launch, and now that finally the hardware you need to get it running smootly is becomming more commonplace, they pull the plug!!! Stupid! Grrrr!
I for one believe that the stick will be picked up by someone else than MS. There just are too many enthousiasts with good programming skills out there. Not to mention the ACES team themselves, of cause. It wouldn't be the first time that employers take over the "remains"of their company...

Let's not panic yet. The current grim times will fade away before we all look upon FSX as being ancient like that picture of the 1982 version in the article. I had that version, by the way; I kept flying into that one building Chicago was made of...

Anyway, I'm sure we'll still have years of fun to go before we have to decide to switch to X-plane...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:23 am »
FSX is still good for some other 4 or 5 years by my calculations. Look at things now... I consider myself middle class, and my computer still is running FS2004 cos of the costs that FSX would bring hardware wise to me are unaffordable right now...
Even more now that we are in this crisis with our budgets cut short... investing in a new graphic card is kind of not the biggest priority.

By 2010 I reckon most of us can get cheap enough hardware that can handle FSX, the software developers will finally make FSX versions for addons we need and are currently buggy/under development (just out the top of my head I'll name FSPassengers...) and then we'll enjoy FSX's golden age =)
Untill then who knows what will happen to these developers, I wish them all the best cos they brought us some great products (albeit very ambitious). Maybe after this crisis is over they can be rehired. Maybe they'll do what the chaps in the "Championship manager" franchise did, which was, go on their own and make an even better game and call it "Football manager"...

The community is strong. Flight simulator will live forever :D