Author Topic: VFR approach  (Read 5344 times)

Offline EHM-2434 Chris

• Preflight checks
VFR approach
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »
Hello everybody. My name is Chris and I am from Croatia, Zagreb (LDZA).

I would be grateful if someone have some tips in regards to VFR approach. I have never landed using VFR approach because I don't know how to line up with the runway or how to estimate needed speed and descent. Is there any detailed description how to use VFR approach for landing?

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
VFR approach
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21:17 pm »
Hey Chris, welcome to Euroharmony.

Firstly, to get lined up I tend to use my GPS and also I find somewhere in my cockpit that if I get it lined up with the centre line I am dead on with the runway so I just line up this part of the cockpit with the runway and I am lined up.

Regarding speed and descent, try and go as slow as you can but above stall speed and I always try to aim for 1 red on the PAPI lights as when I put my throttles to idle the plane sinks quiet quickly and you will find that you will land early if you stick to the two reds. Descent wise, that can only be decided by you. This is the beauty with VFR, you fly the aircraft, no autopilot taking you down to the runway, if you want to fly 2000ft then nose dive over the threshold, you can, although I don't reccomend this :8

Just take it easy, don't go crazy with the joystick, make small slow movements and you will be fine!

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
VFR approach
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:23:03 am »
Hi Chris.
 Welcome to EuroHarmony. With regard to your approach speeds, if you go to the following web site you can download and print out checklists for quite a few aircraft, I have done this and I have found them to be pretty accurate http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp . The only suggestion I can make regarding lining up your approach with the runway is, when you are roughly lined up you look at the far end of the runway and not the touchdown end, then when you are close to the touchdown point switch your view to that point.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-2168 Vaz

• Gear up
VFR approach
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »
Chris
try this here, and tell me if it hellped.
Cheers
José Vaz

Offline EHM-2434 Chris

• Preflight checks
VFR approach
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:31:30 am »
Thank you, I will try this and report what happened. :)