Author Topic: Fleet Aircaft  (Read 7822 times)

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:16:48 pm »
I exclusively fly with fsx now, and payware aircraft.

The airline fsx fleet is somewhat wanting atm and I understand we've been through a bunch of fleet managers recently.

I would love to see the addition of 727 (captain sim?) perhaps CARGO

Main query. Are the following allowable substitutions on the GA aircraft used for tours?

Caranedo PA28RT 201 Arrow IV
for the
PA-28R-201 Arrow III

Caranedo C172N Skyhawk II
for the
Cessna 172SP

I'm happy to make liveries for if it's allowable and if I purchase one.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »
Hello Alexander,

First of all, welcome to EuroHarmony ! The problem with FSX is not that we had too many Fleet Managers, but the fact, that many of the currently available FS2004 models simply not work with FSX. In detail or in whole. We cannot maintain simply the whole fleet with FSX just because it exists. More and more models are updated by the model and panel creators for FSX but it takes time... also to work these changes into the airline fleet. ;)

Unfortunately fleet changes are always sensible topics because we have already quite wide variety of models which are hard to maintain. Not to mention the 727 would fit instead into the Museum fleet. BTW the Captainsim rendition is a beautiful one and I know some fellow pilots who already fallen love with it ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:28:28 pm »
hehe, should be welcome back - I've been a member since 2006 :P

I know what you mean about the fleet being a sensitive topic, and I understand the difficulties in maintaining aircraft plus timetables etc, but some of the freeware models in the fleet are (or at least have been) horrendous.

My pro pilot crash (several years ago) was due to the nosewheel dissapearing into the ground on landing - perhaps some could be replaced rather than straight new additions. That would keep the number of planes down.

Or another option would be to lock aircraft to fs versions, so to fly Aircraft X, you need fs2002/2004. For Aircraft Y, you need FSX. That again would keep maintainance down.

I also appreciate that I'm in a minority flying fsx.

I'm sure that a 727 addition is unlikely, just thought I'd throw it out there - I don't know why, I just love that aircraft.

They are still in service btw, just not for passenger on the major airlines, and mostly for cargo.

Anyway, what about the GA substitutions? They are close to the specified.

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »
I think these are some good ideas to think about. Lets hear some officials ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:06 pm »
Alexander,

Those are good questions you raise and Robert has kindly answered some of them already ;)

At the moment we have lost a few people from our Management Team so unfortunately projects like updating the whole Fleet to FSX cannot be completed in the immediate future. However, we intend to update each section of the Fleet as time and personnel allow.

As a consequence, Bruno said in a post a little while ago that if no suitable EHM plane exists then a pilot is allowed to use an alternative version as long as it is close to the EHM version. So to reply directly to your original question, yes you may use those two alternative aircraft because the current VFA fleet planes do not work in FSX ;)

This is not to say that any pilot can use any plane they want instead of the EHM fleet :) But we realise it would be very limiting to those using FSX if they could only fly a small selection of our planes and routes because of the difficulty that Robert has explained in getting a fully FSX compatible fleet.

If you do use a different plane, please add these details to your Pirep Comments so we can keep track of this.

As to your other suggestions, we are always happy to see pilots actively showing an interest in the future of EHM and we will consider your ideas when we look at how to update the Fleet in the future.  If you do paint an EHM livery for your payware aircraft for your own use, then please send pictures to one of the MT members - it might become an official repaint ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:12:52 am »
I have the same issues, being an FSX-only pilot.
I am just a beginner, so up to now I only flew the SU-80, B1900D, and recently I am trying to master the F1 ATR.
All of these are FSX-able, if not FSX specific (ATR). So, up 'till now no problem.

The thing is, however: I only fly ProPilot, and flogger starts to warn in bold red lines that the selected plane / route is not the same as locked previously if that is the case. I never actually flew a flight after that warning, but I could imagine that flogger would end up with an error message, and not filing the pirep. If that is true, then alternative aircraft are not possible in combination with PP.
That would seriously limit my VFA options.

I could try to convert some VFA aircraft for use with FSX if that would be of help. Perhaps fleetmanager Evan Kirou would be able to answer that?
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:26:15 pm »
Do you have the livery for the flight 1 atr Eric-Jan?

I had difficulty getting the 2004 livery on fsx version, so I remade a master template for use with text-o-matic. I can supply you with this if you have difficulty.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:38 pm »
Thanks! That would be nice!

I got the EHM livery working, I think with the usual tinkering of the aircraft.cfg. But I would like to put a design of my own on her some day. A layered template would be very helpful then.

I'l U2U U my email adress, so we can be in contact about this.

Thanks again!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »
Hi Eric-Jan,

It's probably a little late to say this but you should not be afraid of that message. It's unfortunately a bit of software which is slightly updated. Let me explain:

When the FlightLogger 3.0 was written, the rule was that an aircraft may be used only for flights of the VERY SAME class (like the AT72 for class 3 flights only).

This rule was later relaxed. Currently it is allowed to use an aircraft for any flight requiring the same category of aircraft. Categories are propeller (classes 1-3), jets (classes 4-5) and "really big stuff" (class 7). Of course, this applies within the same division.

The ProPilot software on server side has been updated. Th available flights that you see while locking take into account this category criteria. For instance, after having selected an AT72 the server shows all class 1-3 flights originating where your AT72 is located.

The message displayed by the FlightLogger is only a warning and has no blocking (or otherwise harmful) effects. The message itself says nothing about the locked flight, but only that the selected flight and aircraft do not match (perfectly).

Personally I did numerous ProPilot flights with that warning showing and nothing bad ever occurred. As long as your locked flight is properly recognized by the Flight Logger, there is nothing to be afraid of (except crashes of all kinds, network disconnection and the such ;D )

Hope this helps

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
Thanks, Andrei, for the reassurance.
In fact I flew LPPT-LPFR yesterday with the ATR. I got that message, but flew anyway. Simply because it is a small hop, and I wanted to try to learn the FMS and stuff like that. I had no problems with flight logger (I did have problems with my internet connection, but that was right after I filed the report [phew]). And the Landing Lights rule bit me in the behind when I was climbing towards FL100, and I thought "Oops, still have my LL on. Quickly, turn them off!" followed by "@%##%*, that was the rule with that other logger, %$#*(*". Ah, well, what's another 100 points on 7500? Ha! But I'm drifting off subject now...

The original post by Alexander was aimed more at the GA planes. As there are none that are FSX compatible in the VFA pool (acc. the table on the site), what would happen if you take a different plane. Say I have a Seneca IV, instead of III. That is not the original EHM plane, obviously, so what would happen with the PP flogger? It must look at the airplane type at some point, and decide that the plane used is not the plane planned. What will happen then? If the info is only recorded in a field without any consequences, than what's to stop me from using my trustworthy ATR instead? Maybe even in a non-EHM livery... See my point? Are any alternatives possible with PP, and if so, then what are the boundaries?
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »
Eric-Jan,

If you scroll up and have a look at my post about the use of different aircraft this should answer your question ;)

The Flogger records the aircraft title out of the aircraft.cfg file so as long as you use a similar aircraft where a suitable EHM version does not work and mark this up in your pirep comments section then we will know that there was a good reason to have changed from the aircraft that should be used.

Have fun!
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »
FSX has the Cessna 172 and 182 per default, and there are a number of payware equivalents to our existing VFA fleet (for instance, FSD have great Cessna 337 and Piper Seneca 5 that perform very similarly to the Baron 58 - personally, I love the 337 and use it an awful lot outside of EHM).

To my mind, it's about trying to get the flight times about the same (similar performance), rather than "looks similar".
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »
Thanks guys!

I assumed (should never do that!) flogger was fully autonomous, and "in charge" of accepting/rejecting reports, a.o. based on the aircraft type variable in aircraft.cfg. I see now that things are less strict than that, luckily :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:12 am »
Originally posted by EHM-2387 Eric-Jan
I assumed (should never do that!) flogger was fully autonomous, and "in charge" of accepting/rejecting reports, a.o. based on the aircraft type variable in aircraft.cfg.

Not a bad concept though, as this was my initial vision (or should I say dream?) for FL4 ;D - but this won't happen in 4.0. Maybe in 4.something...

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Fleet Aircaft
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:09:40 pm »
I was just wanting to get confirmation on the Carenado arrow IV (which I bought and am flying the sweden tour with).

I've been working on a repaint but theres no paint kit and progress is slllooooooooow atm. Think I might treat myself to a flight tonight instead and take a break.

The thing is that each of us fly differently - I know a lot fly in fs2004 with 2d panels.

I personally fly in FSX in 3d cockpit using trackIR (was cheaper than building a pit considering that I fly differerent aircraft), whereas I used to do exactly the same thing but in 2004.

Most of our fleet (non payware that I have seen) doesn't come with a VC, so I can't fly it.

The substitutions I asked about in the O.P. were as close as I could get with an interesting looking payware (which are better than the default a/c).

anything