Author Topic: Qualifications and Concorde  (Read 4359 times)

Offline EHM-2449 Lewis

• Taxi and hold
Qualifications and Concorde
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:23:23 am »
Hi - Ihave two questions.

1. Do you know what sort of qualifications you need to become a pilot. GCSE's, A levels and university level.

2. Does any one know of a Concorde download for FSX??

Thanks ;)

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »
Hey Lewis!
Regarding the first question; Physics and Maths are the two main topics needed to be a pilot so with the others I would choose what you enjoy and what you are good at and also have a back up career plan, i've always said if I don't become a pilot I would like to join the navy as a seaman so I studied along those lines aswell as sticking to Physics and Maths.

At A levels it's pretty much the same, I'm doing Physics, Maths, German, English Language and Spanish. I would also advise you pick English Language as this helps in almost every job.

University wise, its not necessary to go to university to become a pilot however it is advantageous. I would strongly reccomend moving away from the aviation related topics at Uni as airlines aren't fussed what you have a degree in and if you study Aviation related topics and fail to become a pilot (Chances are decreasing due to the financial situation) then you have pretty much wasted a lifetime of education which is where your second choice career will come in. I would say study what you enjoy or are good at at Uni because at the end of the day, most employers couldn't give a flying toss what your degree is in, so long as you have one.

Hope that helps :8

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »
There is a brand new FSX Concorde on FSPlanet.com, 2nd page. Although this model is not supported by our textures.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2309 Joshua

• Gear up
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »
I have been looking at universities recently. There is a course which enables me to end uni with a frozen ATPL and a degree in pilot studies and aviation training. It also has another bonus of me coming out with a multi crew aircraft something or other!!

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:03:12 pm »
Hey Joshua, as great as this course sounds there are many out there and all of them cost the same it would do getting all these ratings and licenses outside of University plus getting these outside of university would cost a lot less as you save on all added costs.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »
You might want to read through this useful guide from the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA):-

http://forums.balpa.org/intranet/How-to-bec/How%20to%20become%20a%20pilot%20quark.pdf

And Avsim also has some Concordes for FSX - try this one:-

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=129763 (You have to be a library member for this but joining the Avsim library is free and an essential place for downloads in my view;) )
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management