Author Topic: Douglas MD-11  (Read 4651 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Douglas MD-11
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »
I am looking for a little help with the Douglas MD-11 - not the PMDG version - from someone who flies this aircraft. When I hit the APPR button on this aircraft it doesn't appear to want to remain on the glide slope. The nose falls and I get the voice frantically telling me to pull up. I assume that this should not happen?? If not, then I am probably missing doing something. Can anyone advise? I notice that the configurations of the 1's and 0's on the [Radio] section of the Aircraft file are different from those in my other aircraft and wonder if this could have something to do with it.

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:25:30 pm »
Ian,

Can you confirm that you're using the Alain Capt panel? If so, have you read the panel instructions? I haven't flown the MD-11 for a little while but I think the autopilot modes are used slightly differently from the average plane...

That said, when I have used it in the past I don't remember any real problems of this sort - just make sure you line up on the Localizer first, give yourself a decent length final and intercept the glideslope from below at the right speed and you should do fine ;)

If you've already covered all these points then repost with a little more detail about your approach - where are you flying into (sometimes AFCADs cause approach issues), what speeds you are using, weight of the aircraft etc.

Good luck!
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:34:30 pm »
Hi Dominic

Yes I am using the Alain Capt panel. I have tried flying into a number of different airports to try this out and the same thing happens each time. Your mention of weight makes me  recall reading in the instructions that you have to very careful with the weight of the aircraft when landing. Perhaps I am going in too heavy. I will try this out and let you know.

Regards,
Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »
It might be worth searching the Internet for MD-11 performance tables that could give an idea of maximum landing weight etc - it can certainly make a lot of difference to these heavies ;)

Let us know how you get on :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:46 am »
Hi Ian
   I fly the non PMDG MD11 quite a lot, the radios should be OK, the fact that the aircraft starts to descend on the glideslope would indicate that fact, make sure that the aircraft is not overweight, if it is and you approach at the normal speed then the aircraft will sink below the glideslope, I normally approach between 155 and 160Kts, I have also found that the aircraft has to be stable with flaps 7 before you start the glideslope, the nose will tend to drop but the aircraft will recover. Hope this helps.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:13:57 pm »
Hi Folks

Thanks for responses. I think I've finally got it. It seems that correct weight and speed at which you pick up glideslope is vital. I managed a couple of great landings by keeping a close eye on these. As you say, Bruce, the nose tends to go down a bit at first but then rights itself.

This panel provides a bit of a challenge which I like. Pity not more of the freeware panels are as challenging as this. Maybe I will have to invest in some payware stuff!!

Thanks again.

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Douglas MD-11
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:00:05 am »
It certainly is a complex and worthwhile panel with features I don't think have been replicated in any other freeware panel - the working weather radar makes it a must have in my view ;)

Glad you solved the problem Ian, enjoy :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

anything