Author Topic: Help with a tough decision  (Read 3263 times)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Help with a tough decision
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:27:43 pm »
Hi all,

I am considering buying new payware aircraft, more precisely class 7 in terms of EHM fleet, and I would like some advices about which to choose between my "candidates"

Both are PMDG products, namely the B747 and the MD11.

Before rushing into telling me what YOU would buy, let me detail my "profile" and older experience with payware aircraft.

My priorities in the different aspects of simulation are (in decreasing order of importance):
- The flight planning and navigation (with FMC as a central point of interest :) )
- The technical systems (like batteries running down if not properly charged, hydraulics really required for proper braking etc.)
- The look and feel of the panel

I do not attach a great importance to high detail modelling nor to 3d cockpit which I rarely use.

As such, my previous experience were:
- A moderate enthusiasm for the Feelthere Airbus320, due to severe limitations in using LNAV/VNAV;
- A better experience with the flight1 ATR72, which I consider a very good product but "not quite what I would like most"
- A fully enjoyable experience with the LevelD B767, which is the best I have seen - yet.

Taking into account these facts, which one of the two would you suggest to buy?

Thanks
Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:57 pm »
Hello Andrei,

I own the PMDG 747 and I can tell you it is really a masterpiece. I think although both products have similar qualities: nice visual models and superb systems:
- detailed FMC (you need AIRAC download from different source !)
- detailed and realistic systems
- detailed and realistic 2D panel
- detailed 3D cockpit

I think both products worth the money ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:27 am »
As such, my previous experience were:
- A moderate enthusiasm for the Feelthere Airbus320, due to severe limitations in using LNAV/VNAV;
- A better experience with the flight1 ATR72, which I consider a very good product but "not quite what I would like most"
- A fully enjoyable experience with the LevelD B767, which is the best I have seen - yet.

Taking into account these facts, which one of the two would you suggest to buy?

Thanks
Andrei

Amazing as it can be, I share 100% your experience with the above mentioned aircrafts. What I like from the A320 is the "different feeling" of flying a fully Fly by Wire plane which Wilco has simulated in an excellent manner.
The ATR is also excellent and as you say, the B763 is the best so far eventhough the DC9 series from Jet City and the B727 from Captain Sim are very gool also.

I was also debating myself between PMDG´s MD-11 and the B-744.
Yesterday, I decided for the MD-11 mainly because I has always been a devoted DC-10 fan as I used to fly a lot as a cabin observer in this aircraft when VIASA was operative.
Secondly, I think there are very good freeware B-747 in the market such as iFly or Vmax but no MD-11s.
Of course, at this time I am going thru the manual and getting prepared for the tutorial flight.
So, sorry for not helping you at this time with my initial impressions. Maybe in one week time. BTW, mine is for FS9.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

anything