Author Topic: Penalties  (Read 3619 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Penalties
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:02:02 pm »
Hi
I would like to begin by saying how much I enjoy using ProPilot for my Euroharmony flights. This makes flying more challenging with the threat of penalties helping to focus the mind on avoiding making mistakes. However, while most penalty situations seem fair, I feel that the penalty awarded for overspeed is decidedly unfair for those pilots using real weather in FS9. It is impossible to control a sudden change of wind conditions in FS9 and the result is usually a penalty. This seems to me to be down to a limitation of FS9 rather than an error on the part of the pilot!! The only way of avoiding this, as far as I am aware, is to use FS weather - when windshear can be smoothed out -  rather that real weather but this takes away from realism. Is there any way that  timing can be lengthened to give the pilot time to correct the overspeed, in such situations, before the penalty kicks in?

Ian

Offline EHM-2467 Dale

• Taxi and hold
Penalties
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
Probably me being a little naive here but cant you reduce your speed so when wind sheer does happen the increase in speed does not go beyond the 'overspeed' limit?

If its a stupid remark then please ignore it! :>

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Penalties
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »
Dale: if only it were that simple... The phenomenon Ian has tried to explain (and when you make it into the exciting world of online flying, you will discover for yourself) is the rapid and massive wind shifts we often encounter online - I've been on the receiving end of a shift of 180deg in a few secs before now, and it does indeed play merry hell with your IAS.

Ian: you can mitigate the problem somewhat if you happen to own the paid-for version of FSUIPC, it can do weather smoothing; changes in pressure and wind can be limited. Without paid for FSUIPC, if you like your real-world weather and are prepared to pay, the current Active Skies incarnation also has in-built weather smoothing (and it works better than FSUIPC's smoothing, by averaging winds across a vast area).

Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with the overspeed penalty as it exists now for a while yet. The next generation flight logger that's being worked on now has just entered alpha testing, and we are not going to be in a position to "lock down" the penalties in the new version for a while yet (but we are all aware within the MT that the penalties as they currently exist do need changing).
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2467 Dale

• Taxi and hold
Penalties
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:43:46 pm »
I said if it was a stupid remark then ignore it!!! :P