Author Topic: On the future of the fleet  (Read 4799 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
On the future of the fleet
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:49 am »
FSX Related
So far I have been mostly flying FS9 online but having invested in FSX and soon to do a major investment in new hardware to take full advantage of FSX raises a few questions in me...

What are the plans for a full FSX fleet? We might find that as people upgrade their systems they will little by little migrate to FSX like most add-on developers are doing.

The current FSX fleet is very limited and in the end it may lead to EHM pilots migrating to other virtual airlines.

My current FS9 fleet is very extensive but I feel that I cannot delay the inevitable and by delaying so I am actually missing out on many wonderful things already available in FSX (or those to come). It would be sad to have to leave EHM on those grounds. Luckily it is still not too late as we are in the transional period but the tide is turning already (or so I have noticed).

The current FS9 Fleet
I was just revising it today and came across several links to AVSIM site (which as we know has bee down for a while). Wouldn't it be more convenient to keep those "assets" on the EHM website?

Would also be nice to have sub-forums for the fleet, for example divided by class so that people can share the tips they have gained over multiple hours on any given a/c type. Likewise it would be a good -and focused- place to share any possible cockpit enhancements users may have done to the default panel.

Anyway, just a thought...

Offline EHM-2272 Callum

• Transition Altitude
  • VA Management
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:44:56 am »
Hey Didimo,
It's great to see you are giving us thoughts as to how we can improve, we really appreciate it. As for the FSX fleet, I can understand your frustration as an FSX user myself, however I understand there is efforts being made to change that (see here http://fly-euroharmony.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5341).

As for the Avsim links, I am about to go through the site and find them and then forward them onto Murray so we can get them sorted.

As for your concerns regarding the forums, we will soon hopefully be changing to a new forum software and I have suggested we have a forum clean up by archiving all old out of date topics and announcements and cleaning up the different forums.

Regards,
Callum.

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »
Thankfully I had a quite old complete back-up (and even more :) ) of our linked panels, so those are all localized now ! Unfortunately it is not the right way to store these packages according to copyright information, but hopefully they will not blame us after the loss of AVSIM :[

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:33 pm »
I think Avsim should be back up in the next few days guys - they got badly hacked but they aren't gone long term, just repairing their server ;)

There are links to their temporary forum with updates if you visit their usual address too.
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:52 am »
As I have been following the AVSIM crash/hack since day 1, I can safely say that whatever they had in their library is gone for good.
It's now up ot the various developers to re-submit them to the new library. This is good for all those products whose authors still follow and care about.
In fact in the immediate aftermath, most of them switched to flightsim.com where most AVSIM stuff can now be found.

However, there will be huge gap in what's called 'abandonware' i.e. products whose authors no longer care about, monitor and busy themselves with. (Typically older and less popular stuff like soundpacks, some panels, repaints etc.) Even in this case though if they're THAT abandoned, then we should have no probs at all hosting locally.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »
Latest update from Tom Allensworth, AVSIM CEO on the Avsim Forums:-

"We have recovered about 90% of the File Library and all of the WEB site. The library files go back to FS98. That should be sufficient to make everyone happy, and all those web sites that in someway link into the library should see their links start to work again, once we can bring the library back into service."
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management