Author Topic: GAAR 2010  (Read 4822 times)

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
GAAR 2010
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:44 am »
Hello,

In case anyone looked in the museum parking lot and wondered where our Tante Ju has gone, I took the liberty of borrowing her. She's been shipped to Oz and I've just flown the test flight for the 'Great Australian Air Rally' aka GAAR 2010. I thought it might be a nice way to start flying with my new computer, running FSX with high graphics and trimming in my brand new Saitek X52 Pro...

PS. Does anyone know how the Sperry autopilot works?

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: GAAR 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:53 am »
Looks like a cool event, Ragnar!
I have a lot of other things going on at the moment, or I would probably sign up myself!

And on the AP:
Top right you set the course you want to fly (upper ring with degrees markers will move)
The lower ring is your heading indicator, which can be adjusted with the knob in the middle, underneath it. Press "D" if you accidentally turned that one, to reset it to the correct current heading.
Make sure you are flying level (v/s indicator)
Bottom left flip the switch from AUS (off) to EIN (on) and a green light will pop on. you're on Autopilot now :)

A word of warning, though:
The AP was originally only developed to assist in bombing accuracy, so it will only hold your specified heading AND PITCH. The latter is important to keep an eye on when engaging the AP, if you do not want to fly into terrain ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
Thanks E-J for the tips on the AP, made my life much easier.

The rally is going great, I usually manage to keep myself within a minute or two (or five) of the target times, which I'm quite proud of. :)
I've currently finished eight out of ten legs, and I must confess Tante Ju is my true love, even if she can be a handful in turbulence...
(She was the first model plane I built and painted, and as such she holds a very special place in my heart - to me she represents the image of what a airplane really looks like, and I think she looks absolutely stunning in EHM livery. Thanks to Robert(!?))

Anyhow, lets show some screenshots:

shutting down after leg 1

leg 3 - great sunrise in cloudy weather

leg 6 - just en example of the sometimes dramatic scenery

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »
Nice to see the Tante Ju out for a little trip ;)

The scenery looks pretty good too - is that an addon for Oz?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »
Scenery I installed for Australia is OZx 3.0, Holgermesh and Ant's (Anthony Lynch) Aussie Airports, all available from http://aussiex.org/

It all comes together very well, I'd guess there would be no problems whatsoever navigating from the terrain/roads etc...

anything