Author Topic: 747 Classic by CLS ???  (Read 5689 times)

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
747 Classic by CLS ???
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:09 pm »
Hi mates,

I am just curious if anybody of you owns the package, and what is your opinion ? Is it worth the money ? Is it working nice under either FS2004 or FSX ?

Thx.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: 747 Classic by CLS ???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »
I haven't got the CLS version but I do have the Ralph Tofflemire "747-200 Ready for Pushback" which is fantastic in FS2004 - I bought it some time ago but it's been freeware for a couple of years now so I'd certainly recommend that one with  real world procedures, a detailed VC and cabin if you're looking for a 747 Classic in FS9 ;)

The CLS one looks ok visually like most of their stuff but is very uncomplicated on the flightdeck (according to the reviews) so it depends if you want realism or an easier flight I guess  ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:21:32 pm »
Hmmm, I guess then it depends on how much the flight Engineer functions are automated ? I really like the old lady, and thought I would give it a go in a Museum repaint if there was interest ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:39:20 pm by EHM-1001 Robert »

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:02:57 pm »
Hi Robert,

CLS stuff looks great on the outside, but to me is extremely limited on the inside. Would almost want to state a default FS aircraft has more functions...  ;D

As Dominic already stated, the RFP 747 version 2 went freeware a while ago and has been re-uploaded to Avsim in December last year (look for 'rfp_v2.zip' on Avsim). It's only FS9, so unfortunately not for our FSX friends...

By the way. one of the guys at NLS (for those unaware, they are the ones doing the A380) has posted in their forum that apparently work is underway on a Ready For Pushback version 3 (see http://nextlevel.wepax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13. Have to wait and see what that leads to...

Although myself no fan of the older versions 747, more variety is always good!  8)

Cheers,
Stef
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »
Thanks a lot Stef !

Once I got the RFP-747 for FS2002, but I was not really satisfied so never really flew that plane. I was very excited to download and install this edition. It is really good in functions, offers a lot more than a normal freeware, but not enough nice for a payware (or to me). I mean, if you look at the CLS screenshots you can see the cleanness of the panels: you do not need to search for click-spots and buttons, everything is clear and relatively easy to overview. While the RFP panel is not so coherent. There are many fashion of gages, buttons and lamps mixed together and it is quite hard to overview - that is a typical problem for me at freeware panels, that the "fashion" of items is not common.

Anyway it is not a glass cockpit and many automated systems of the -400 is presented here as manual. It is almost a completely new airplane and I had to learn a bit until I could take her off the ground. The sounds are unfamiliar too, but realistic (I guess): no engine screaming in the cockpit, only very quiet roaring :) The visible model is quie good, but again in small details the CLS is better I think.

All in all, it is a nice looking freeware aircraft, but now I could not decide which to use: a more simple (?) but cleaner design for easier flying, or a very realistic model but a little messy design that is harder to use.

Regarding the new payware A380 of NLS, I checked the model from their screenshots, and again I reached to the same conclusion: the model is unreal in many details, which would annoy me while flying. But you cannot tell it to a modeler because he will be angry and kick you out together with your opinions. This annoys me, because there are so much sources available and they just cannot remake it perfectly, even though they do not listen to such critics, but eagerly waiting for the 50-100 bucks to get transferred. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:38:44 pm by EHM-1001 Robert »

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:15:26 pm »
Hi Robert,

To my shame i honestly have to admit that although i did download the (now) freeware RFP 747, i have actually never installed and/or tried her out. She is, so to say, "parked for a rainy weekend" in which i really have nothing better to do... After all, she was the standard for realism back in the FS2002 days (or even also in FS2000 already..?), which made me kind of curious as to what she was like then.

Exactly for the reasons you brought forward i am no fan of photorealistic panels. No chance they cut it against the beautifully rendered panels ala PSS used to make them. Have you seen the screenshots of the upcoming Level-D 757?? Very 'PSS', and therefore for me: wow!  ;D  But, it's of cours all a matter of personal taste...

Albeit, as for your comments on the NLS A380, first we'll have to wait and see what the final products are going to look like. It is all still 'works in progress'. Believe in the NLS forum there is only one shot of their latest version 3 model (or more already? Haven't been there for a while), which was still being worked upon. Given time i hope they will bring us a realistic A380 which would surely be a welcome addition to the FS-community.

Let's wait and see...

Aloha,
Stef
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
As for panels I prefer the style of default panels: a retouched photorealistic background, but really retouched to match with the overall style. The buttons have small shadows, and all the emerging "brickcs" on the panel tend to bow in the same direction (left-or right) etc.

I do not know the Level-D 757, but I like the 767, also the PSS 777 for example panel, not to mention any PMDG products. Generally I prefer this style, and also the style of the defualt panels.

There are a lot of different A380 livery screenshots available, where you can see the overall model from different angles. I am just building a plastic A380 kit so I have seen the plane on photos from quite a lot angles, and it is easy to identify small mistakes on a replica. I think, if the model is done already along with textures, you should not expect much further editing or the finished textures will be distorted. I think if any work is still undergoing then it is panel, flight dynamics and installer + a lot of beta testing !

anything