Author Topic: Help Wanted!  (Read 4876 times)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Help Wanted!
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:44:29 am »
At this time I am about to make a big decision: Active Sky & Active Graphics v2.65 or FS Meteo v8.0
I would appreciate very much your ideas, comments, recommendations, pros and contras.
Thanks in advance.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: Help Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:30:33 am »
Hello Hector,

I am useing ActiveSky 6 for FS2004 and I really enjoy it. I would not say that I am able to make incredible interesting screenshots with it, but surely much better than the default weather system. Also it is very good in real-world weather settings. The defualt system used to lock-up the sim. I guess the situation is still better for FSX. Unfortunately I do not know the concurrent system.

I have just seen the Real Environment Extreme 2 pack on FSPLANET.com, and that seems also very promising.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:59:07 am »
Hi Robert.
        I have used Active Sky 6.5, Active Sky Advanced and Active Sky Evolution and they all work very well in FS9, however when used with FSX they still work fine but you wll get Overspeed penaltys due to the Poor weather engine in FSX which causes crazy wind shifts (180 degrees in a couple of seconds), this is 100% a problem with FSX and not Active Sky, the same issue arises with the REX weather software. The only way I fly Propilot with FSX is to use the user defined weather and do not set the wind speeds above about 20 knots at altitude as the problem only seems to exist when in the cruise at altitude ( the reason for setting speed to only 20 knots is because you are normally flying at about 20 knots below the overspeed marker on the ASI, and if you get a crazy wind shift you will probably just stay below the marker and avoid the penalty). Hope this helps Robert also any other pilots with this issue.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »
Well, just to chuck in my three penny worth, I went from FSM to AS back when I was running FS2004, and in terms of prettiness, currency of weather, and just about everything else AS/AG (ASE/AG as it now is) wins hands down. Sure, it's not cheap (you'll pay for major updates) but quality will always cost...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »
I remember there is an option in FSUIPC, which you can define wind direction change speed by. From the same issues I once setted it quite low and then winds became winds not just crazy turbulences. Is not there such an option for FSX in the proper software ?

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:14:45 am »
It's still in FSUIPC (paid version) and both hifisim and Pete Dowson recommend using it to stop crazy wind shifts...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON