Author Topic: EuroCargo takes on the Volcanoes !  (Read 49039 times)

Offline EHM-2577 Tiago

• Starting engines
Re: EuroCargo takes on the Volcanoes !
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 04:44:04 pm »
Hi all,

Can I still participate? I really hope I have the time to do it during the next months (things haven't been easy), but I just received the May Newsletter 2 days ago, and this tour seems too good to miss!  :)

My status is "Removed" for the moment, but I think that won't make a difference once I start flying... right?

Thanks in advance!

Tiago Grossinho
#EHM-FZ65

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »
That's right Tiago - you can fly with us anytime and your status will return to active as soon as you file a Pirep.

I'm not sure why you haven't got a proper pilot ID though ( a number instead of letters) since you have flown four flights with us last year... I hope my colleagues in the technical team will be able to correct this so we can set you up with a plane for the Event ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2577 Tiago

• Starting engines
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »
I didn't even know I was supposed to have a numbers-only pilot ID :$

But thanks for checking it out, then! :D

Tiago

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »
Hi Tiago,

The first part of the problem is for Murray I think, I don't know how the pilot status and ID work. I always thought that anyone who reports one flight automatically gets a definitive ID, but in your case this did not happen so I think some manual action is required.

As soon as we have this fixed, I can add you to the events participants. And we are considering extending the first leg availability period, so all chances are you won't be left behind :)

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »
Hallo Andrei !

Thanks, that you managed that I could start the second leg from LGSA  to FZNA
which was made this day  -  was not an easy landing on rw 16  - approaching between the mountains,  in a heavy thunderstorm - no ILS - visibility less than 1 mile - no PAPPI/VASI with an heavy aircraft !
Hope, the next destinations are better equipped !

Cheers !
Franz

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »
Hehe, all part of the fun eh ;)
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »
Hi Franz,

I watched you all the flight within the EHM ACARS page, you have been minutes ahead of me. And I noticed you landed on rwy 18, something I hoped I won't have to. I think this approach is very difficult due to high mountains just in front of the airport.

I preferred a long detour over the lake (the only place one can safely assume there is no high ground :) ) to loose altitude and landed on rwy 36, which is way easier (and it has VASI lights, too).

Next stop is not much better: same runway length (longer in X-Plane I hope  8) ), no ILS, just VASI lights. But no high ground in the vicinity either.

Andrei

Offline EHM-1800 Franz

• Contact departure
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 08:13:54 am »
Hi Andrei !
I have seen, that you also have been on the way !
I looked for you at the eye of IVAO, but there was only me - very lonly !
Do you fly on VATSIM ?
What about, if we could fly the next leg together - maby there would be other pilots who wants to join us ?

Cheers !
Franz

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 06:22:05 pm »
Wow that was a "bloody hell !" :) I could not get any charts from the airport, and FSNAV showed only 2 dangerous hills around... but there are a lot !I think it is almost impossible to land from the Volcano diretoin (RWY 18) I planned the approach from the lake direction - RWY36 but the wind was opposite direction, so I tried the Volcano side. I made a big circle around it. There were thick large clouds around the area. I imagine I could not even be surprised if I hit a hill inside the cloud. it was a nightmare ! A poor little AI plane tried to also land and he reported 3 times missed  ;D

I hope you already towed away your plane, or we will not have enough space for so much 747s   ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 06:49:39 am »
@Franz:

Unfortunately, I didn't fly this leg online at all. I generally don't like to fly online in areas where 99% of the time there is no ATC. If I am not prepared (charts, specific procedures and the such) and that 1% likely ATC pops up, I look like a perfect fool. And spending a lot of time in preparation, only to discover there is no need for that (and all surrounding pilots just do DCTs)... doesn't feel much better.

Now if we set up a group flight things would be a little different. Next leg is shorter so it's flyable in weekdays (evenings to be more precise), not necessarly weekends. We could do that if a departure around 1700z - 1800z suits you too.

@Robert:

I hope you already towed away your plane, or we will not have enough space for so much 747s

You can say that again, I had to park mine across the gates :)

RCortez

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 08:31:02 am »
Difficult but very interesting airport to land. :o I was finally landing well in the third fly... I mean practice and practice before the PP session.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:15 pm »
Can I still participate? I really hope I have the time to do it during the next months (things haven't been easy), but I just received the May Newsletter 2 days ago, and this tour seems too good to miss!  :)

Hi Tiago,

You are now an active pilot again, with the new ID = EHM2577 (Murray took charge of this, he can tell you more about it)

As for the event... you got a brand new 747F, tail number PP-A97, parked at EGLL fueled and ready for the tour (just kidding about the "fueled" part, it is strongly advised that one checks the fuel level by himself  ::) before attempting to take off).

And the first leg has been extended, so that the two first legs can still be flown next week-end.

Of course, this extension applies to everybody so if there are still volunteers for the event, this is a great time to step forward!

Happy landings
Andrei

Offline EHM-2577 Tiago

• Starting engines
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 08:23:14 am »
Thank you so much everyone!! :D You guys are great, I just hope I can live up to the challenge  ::) ...

Talking about fuel and weight... I was trying out the B744F this weekend, and somehow I couldn't get it off the ground and to a steady climb rate...I tried and tried and tried (and crashed and crashed and crashed..) ... until figuring out that the plane was 60 ton-overweight in the Payload section of FSX.  :o  :o  :o

Anyway... just one question: can one fly a flight at night (real-time) and set the simulator at daytime? Will that disturb ProPilot or the Flight Logger?

Thank you in advance :)

RCortez

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:55 am »
can one fly a flight at night (real-time) and set the simulator at daytime? Will that disturb ProPilot or the Flight Logger?

Hi Tiago, I think is possible and without problems to use in that way too. Nice fly ;)

Offline EHM-2577 Tiago

• Starting engines
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
I'm just thinking about flying during the evening/night without loosing the beautiful landscapes/scenery  :-[

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
Well that's some limit to "as real as it gets"...

I guess *most* real pilots fly during work time, while my boss would definitely NOT allow me to do so  ;D

So flying with daylight at any time is not only technically possible, but quite ethical too IMHO (unless some event / tour / mission explicitely request to do otherwise).

Andrei

Offline EHM-2577 Tiago

• Starting engines
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »
Yeahhh :D

That's great news, thank you! :)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 09:02:46 pm »
Just a notice to the event participants: I finished entering the event legs into our database so please do an "update" again in Flight Logger in order to download all the remaining flights.

Andrei

RCortez

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 09:19:18 pm »
Thank you Andrei :)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2010, 05:06:13 pm »
Aaargh too late... I was about to suggest a group flight Saturday evening to OYHD, then I saw Alexander and Franz already on their way.

Maybe next week-end? A looong leg we will have then...

Andrei

P.S. I will fly to OYHD tomorrow evenig as planned - online if not alone

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2010, 09:44:42 pm »
Well, after my overrun at FZNA, I decided to take no chances.

Came in at ~144 ias, had dumped all but fumes over the water, touched down at the threshold and because it wasn't raining, pulled off a short field landing.

Stop shorter than that and win a biscuit.

Video:

Real life short field:

RCortez

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »
Nice landing Alexander ;) I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to fly, because my Flight Logger doesn't work :'(

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »
Nice landing Alexander ;) I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to fly, because my Flight Logger doesn't work :'(

What's wrong with it?

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »
Well, after my overrun at FZNA, I decided to take no chances.

Came in at ~144 ias, had dumped all but fumes over the water, touched down at the threshold and because it wasn't raining, pulled off a short field landing.

Stop shorter than that and win a biscuit.
Another nice video (and excellent landing BTW). Tiniest bit overdone on the vignetting (IMHO) and I notice that your 747 model doesn't auto-deploy spoilers (or it does but has no anim for it...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

RCortez

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2010, 10:17:01 pm »
In fact when I try to choose any flight the Logger crash. It begins with the propilot flight and right now with everything. I tried to uninstaller and reinstall but it doesn't work too ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:20:09 pm by EHM-2565 Roberto »