Author Topic: Embraer discuss future possibility for single pilot airliners  (Read 4223 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Here's an interesting one to consider - Embraer think that in 10 or fifteen years time, with advances in Air Traffic Management, it may become routine for some airliners to be flown by a single pilot rather than a crew of two. Yet so much of air travel's safety record revolves around the two crew concept, cross checking each other to reduce the chances of a human error becoming a fatal error. And many fatal accidents are traced to a breakdwon in crew co-operation...

Further details HERE

What do YOU think?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

RCortez

Re: Embraer discuss future possibility for single pilot airliners
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:07 pm »
Very complicated :-\ Is for 2020 ??? and the fuel is for 200... does anyone know ??? until when ??? Nevertheles for me is better two pilots instead of one, only for security, but until 2020 or 2025 who know ???

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: Embraer discuss future possibility for single pilot airliners
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:12:30 am »
I think too this sounds kind of freaky.

ATC improves all right, but this is not enough. A single pilot implies also that some means will be found, to ensure he won't have to go to the bathroom during the flight - to take just one basic and everyday situation. I can hardly imagine passengers knocking at the door "could you Sir please hurry, the airplane is behaving funnily"...

In fact, having seen most of the "Air crash investigation" series on Discovery channel, it looks like in most of the those cases where the crew eventually saved the day, this would have been impossible for just one person to handle. Aircraft systems DO fail, and they will keep on doing so, and when this happens two people solve the problem better than one does.

So... it may happen, to reduce costs, but I think this would mean a step backwards in safety, no matter how well this is prepared.

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097