Author Topic: Flying Wild!  (Read 8169 times)

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
Flying Wild!
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:54:23 pm »
Here are some of the images from my flights thus far flying both WILD and scheduled service in and around Castlegar. Some seriously challenging flying to do and the scenery is lovely (will be even nicer when I get REX and some other things installed around New Years. Enjoy:

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Flying Wild!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:28:41 am »
Nice collection of pictures you got there, Ted! This is really hands-on flying, in between those mountains  ;D

Good to see the SU-80 got some hours on the clock too :) ... hadn't seen her around much lately.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:17 pm »
I agree - lovely pics there, really shows off the beauty and variety of BC bush flying for those pilots who haven't explored it yet ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:00:35 pm »
Glad you like them....and yeah I still fly the SU-80  8).

Not for much longer though as my lovely ATR72-500 from Flight One has shipped and I will be transitioning to that aircraft for all my scheduled flights!

And hold onto your hats for more WILD images. I have REX coming on USB and GEX/UTX as well....Santa was very good to me.....so as I get my head around those bits of software and get them functioning it will be interesting to see the differences.

And that freeware Otter is just a dream to fly. Forgiving, turns on a pin at ridiculous ly slow speeds, and climbs like crazy in the tightest spots. A bit noisy and not a speedy ship...but really a well done model for a free aircraft.

Go fly WILD flights folks....its really fun!

p.s. I wonder if I could takeoff/land the ATR safely for scheduled flights to Castlegar....possibly a bit of a reach.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:00:18 am »
About the ATR landing in Castlegar:
Take off rwy length 3600 ... 4000 ft
Landing rwy length 3500 ft

CYCG rwy length 5300 ft

So it is allowed, as far as runway length goes.
If you can position yourself correctly for landing, it should even be possible.

And then there's the weather...
with a westerly wind, you get updrafts to the east of the runway, with an easterly wind downdrafts west of the runway...
any wind will cause moderate to severe turbulence...
And then there can be poor visibility due to mist, fog, snow, rain...
And let's not forget icing  :o

Challenges enough up there!
Good luck :)

[EDIT]:
PS: I'm pretty sure it can be done ;)
http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,6283.0.html
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:14:18 am by EHM-2387 Eric-Jan »
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »
More images as I complete the first leg A to CBS4. The last leg CBW2--CBS4 is almost 3 hours so I made sure I had two divert plans if the weather decided to go bad on me. I fly with real world weather enabled and launch my flights at 0900L if the weather seems cooperative.....and it changes really fast and for the worst!

I'm going to fly the return legs to CYCG...take a little break and do a couple commercial scheduled runs in the 1900...then start out with leg B and more photo ops.

Purple sky at dawn

Climbing out of sunrise

Over Juneau...a good ILS divert field if CBS4 gets ugly

Final to CBS4...the Twin Otter makes flying easy...if you can see the airfield you can land on it!

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »
Great shots again Ted! I particularly like the lighting in shots one and two - keep us apprised of your travels please ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:02:09 am »
A rogue pilot "leased" a EuroHarmony WILD Twin Otter for a flight into the wild side of the tropics. It was taken far south to cross the continental divide and land in the short landing strip of Bocas del Toro (MPBO). Here landing on rwy 24, if you descend too fast you end tangling the undercarriage into the palm trees, first clear them and then land. But the runway is not that long and if you go 1 meter beyond the other end of the runway your expensive aircraft ends up gathering a lot of salty water :)

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:06 pm »
I just flew MC09 Alert Bay to Tipella. Had an incredible tailwind that actually sent the aircraft briefly into overspeed (tough to do in a Twin Otter really  :D) and landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule including a full missed approach go around as I came in too steep the first time. This resulted in a narrow climbing turn 180 degrees to get on downwind and clearing terrain to spin another 180 in the canynon to clear the trees and get on the ground.

Also you may note some image differences between these pics and my previous effort. I finally got my REX FSX+Overdrive installed and the results I think speak for themselves. It brings a whole new level of immersion.

Anyway....enjoy!

Departing Alert Bay 0930L

Sunrise over Alert Bay

Climbout pastels over Alert Bay

North of Vancouver

Errrmm...yeah don't think this is going to work....descent to Tipella

Missed approach downwind

Short final into Tipella...working the throttles like a madman to clear the trees

**edit**That layer above Tipella was bang on '1500. Thats the first time low level visibility and clouds actually looked real to me. Also I'm blaming EHM management right now as thanks to these flights as soon as I finish learning my F1 ATR I'm going to get the payware Twin Otter. What an incredible ariplane!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:31:35 pm by Ted Au »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »
Another great set, Ted!
REX certainly delivers :)

So glad gou like the Twotter. The AeS one absolutely is worth the money ;) (as is tbe ATR, by the way).
Keep 'em coming ;D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud