Author Topic: The Simpit thread  (Read 7745 times)

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
The Simpit thread
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:22:11 pm »
I thought it would be interesting to see people's sim setups. To start us off - mine

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:50:07 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
Re: The Simpit thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »
Cool thread!

Below is mine (moved my chair out of the way for the picture. Should be obvious):

Main FS9/FSX pc in the upper right. (Small) pc in lower left running FScommander/Navigraph/FSFlightkeeper/FLogger/RadarContact/FSrealtime and a few more small things during a normal flight session (via WideFS). (Large) pc in lower right runs (the fabulous!) AivlaSoft EFB and ActiveSky Evolution via SimConnect (and WideFS, specially for ASE). Any detailed questions, let me know.

Oh, and allow me also to introduce my faithful co-pilot who usually flies with me:

That box is my 'right-seat' i guess. And yes, she is very good at doing what co-pilots do best (sleep!)... ;D

Cheers,
Stef
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
HAHA, Ladies and gentlemen, this is a non-smokingflight. Except for your pilot he's an addict, thank you for flying "VanNelle Airways" ;D
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »
Ain't flightsimulator a wonderful thing..??

Oh, and by the way, it pays-of to check your surroundings: the flight may in fact be non-smoking, however...  ;D

Still waiting for your 'kast' to be added here!  8)

Groeten,
Stef
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."

Offline EHM-1592 Niels

• Climbing
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
Very good  ;D

The photo of my stairclosetcockpit (good one for scrabble) will follow whem i'm back home again. haven't got any with me here.
"...and this is the very first Fokker airplane built. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker."

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:13 am »
Nothing major on my side: just the Saitec Yoke and Throttle Q., plus the recently added pedals. The headset is a Logitech USB one. Not sure about the type any more, but I do know I like it very much. Audio is also from Logitech, a nice 2.1 system with great sound, and lots of power  ;D. The Roland on the floor to the right is my guitar amp, by the way ;). I've got FSX running on an HP i7-860 with NVidea GTX260, 6GB RAM  and 3TB disk space. Soon to be running X-Plane 10 too ;) The remainder you see is mostly scattered charts, notes, CD's and lots of wires etc  ;D

(crappy quality is because it comes from my mobile phone)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:30:28 am »
This is my real one cockpit ;D

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
love it david - anywhere, anyplace!
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2585 Dan

• Taxi and hold
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:02:46 pm »
Cool, I am not the only one who uses a laptop for flight sim! I did not realise I could use a PS3 controller though, but I do now and it works a treat  ;D

Dan

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »
As you said Alexander: anywhere, anyplace ;D
@ Dan I'm not sure if is possible to use PS3 controller, my simple game-pad is a Logitech Dual Action™ Gamepad  ;)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
I used a laptop from 2004 to 2009 while working overseas in USA, Europe and Argentina. It was a normal and humble Toshiba with a 15" screen with a normal and humble Logitech joystick. In fact I had two joysticks, one at work and the other at home (a Saytek X52 my sons gave me on Xmas 2007) to avoid carrying them while going home for my free week. I could only use default scenery but that was not a problem for me since I am mostly an IFR pilot. For Xmas 2009 my son, who is a Computer Engineer, assembled a high end desktop with a 22" Samsung flat monitor and I could finally enjoy the FS9 in all its extent. However, those "momentos" with my old and faithful laptop will stay for ever. And funny things also happened. The most memorable one took place on May 17, 2007 while performing the leg from Barcelona, Spain to Nice during the Formula1 Event flying a B744-F. At that time I was working in Mendoza, Argentina and I took advantage of every free time I could have. The flight was a short one for the plane, about 1 and a half hours and I took myself the right to take the F1 McLaren team cars at that time Fernando Alonso and the rookie of the year Lewis Hamilton. Just 80 miles before touchdown I had a "low battery warning". Upon a rapid and very nervous check I found out that the connecting end of the charger was sort of broken and smoke coming out of it.  There I was with the joystick at my right hand side which also had the throttle and the smoking bad connection of the battery charger also at my right hand side and I was alone. After some nervous manipulation of the connection I found out that if pressing it with my right hand the charger could do its work. At this time I was about 40 miles and less than 10 minutes to land and the battery had zero charge so I had to keep pressing the connection manually. By the way, it never crossed through my mind to use the P because when you fly on IVAO it is forbidden. But I forgot about it. I am sure that if I had had that thougth I had done it. I am happy to say that nobody was taking a video of me. I had that video on my mind and always end laughing. There I was, with the rather hot charger under my right armpit, the cable between my teeth and protruding out of the rigth side of my mouth and the whole head tilted to the rigth to keep the cable connected while keeping the right hand at the joystick along with the left hand at the throttle mounted on the same joystick.
I kept that position for 10 minutes until landing. Next day I paid about US$3 to get the charger fixed and about US$10 for Aspercreme to ease the pain on my neck. But the flight was perfect with no penalties. Happy to say that Fernando Alonso got the first place followed by Lewis Hamilton. They never knew that they were at the verge of not making it.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2585 Dan

• Taxi and hold
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
Here is my setup, it is a laptop with a PS3 controller placed on a piano stool as a central console, a couple of folding chairs and the TV in the living room. It goes together in about 5 minutes and comes apart in a similar time! My kids are pictured flying the Euroharmomy 737-800 out of heathrow (Bound for Schiphol I think!).

Dan.

anything