Author Topic: FSX  (Read 11140 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
FSX
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:48:25 pm »
Hi
I am looking for some info. I have just bought a new and powerful PC and am wondering whether or not to stay with FS9 or upgrade to FSX. I have one or two questions that will help me decide:
1. Did I pick it up correctly that the default airports in FSX are generally realistic enough not to require add-ons in the way that FS9 requires?
2. Is this the case also with general scenery - land and water?
3. Are the procedures for managing FSX - eg. installing add-ons - similar to those for FS9? I ask this because I very familiar and comfortable with FS9 and don't want to detract from my flying time by having to learn all about new systems.

I would really appreciate what folk think on this one.

Thanks,
Ian

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: FSX
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:12 pm »
Even with a top end system, frame rates in FSX are IMHO rubbish. That, the random crashes and the flight modelling are the biggest reasons I'm using x-plane instead.

The graphics are a leap though over fs9 and camera (cinema verite) are very good.

Default airports are improved.

Textures are improved.

Weather and flight models are improvements on FS9.

If you are happy with FS9, I think you'll probably have an easier life sticking with it, or give x-plane 10 a try when that comes out, especially if you have a lot invested in add ons for FS9.

I've never been able to be happy with FSX like I was with FS9, and I spent a fortune on add-ons for both. FSX was and is a lemon in the series. Hopefully Flight will correct that.

EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »
Thanks for information Alexander. I must say I have been happy - mostly - with FS9 and may well stick with that meantime. I don't know a thing about x-plane so will need to do some research.

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
FS9 runs perfectly well on vista x64. You may have to right click on the exe and disable window compositing, but other than that it runs very well.

Might be an idea to install it to a location outside of the program files folder.

I have a separate program files folder set up on another drive that I install most classic stuff to.

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:24:33 pm »
Hehe, although I am a die-hard FSX flyer, I have to agree with Alexander ;) Stick with FS9, for now, and give X-plane a try

I fly only FSX, because that's what I started out with, and I could not get used to the difference in keystrokes required to look around in FS9. Also, I got used to flying VC, which is not common in FS9, so I would miss that. Reason for me to stick with FSX, despite the whack fps... (which is not really a problem anymore since I bought me an i7-860, 6GB, GTX-260, W7-64 machine; locked @ 25fps no problem)
So I'lll stick to FSX, at least until a little after X-Plane 10 comes out. I have the demo of X-plane 9 installed, and I can advice you to do the same. It's free, and gives you a good idea of what to expect from X-Plane 10, if you know how to imagine what improvements will come with a next generation. X-plane has a very different "feel" to it, is incredibly fast, fps-wise, graphically comparable to somewhere between FSX and FS9 (X-Plane 10 will be MUCH better in that area), and it is said that it is more realistic as far as flight dynamics are concerned. I have next to no real life flying experience, so I cannot judge that, but it is certainly more demanding to fly in X-plane than it is in FSX.

To get back to your original questions:
1) Larger airports are OK, no addons needed, unless you really want them to be detailed as in real life (like EHAM, LFPG, EGLL, LPPT, etc. have marvellous addons). Regional airports, such as Castlegar are OK too. Only the realy small strips are not much more than that.
2) General scenery: not bad at all! see
Vertical Studios Mission 2 of 3
for Swiss Alps in default scenery, for example.
3) The folder structure is slightly different to FS9, but other than that, no significant differences

So, the choice is yours, really. Stick with FS9, try out FSX, switch to X-Plane ...
But considering that the MS series will not continue to be developed any further (only the addon market), my advise would be to (also) give X-plane a try.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:45 pm »
Thanks for that Eric-Jan. Where do you get the demo version of X-plane? I would like to try it.

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »
http://www.x-plane.com/pg_downloads.html

Download the X-Plane demo

Not sure you want to buy the simulator just yet? Why not give the demo a shot? The demo contains a limited scenery area (keeping the download small). It will run for 10 minutes before it begins to ignore the user's input, at which point the simulator must be restarted to fly any more. For unlimited flight time (as well as the incredible global scenery), order X-Plane now.
Mac OS X v9.62 Demo
Windows v9.62 Demo
Linux v9.62 Demo
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »
Ian,

I'm still a committed FS9 flyer, I have got FSX installed and it use it to test out all manner of things for EHM but I don't do any real flights in it as the frame rates suck and it's not a patch on my heavily modded FS9 with all the fantastic payware planes and scenery I have installed.

I feel that FSX default airports are pretty much the same standard as FS9 ones (rubbish) so I always look for addon scenery, whether freeware of payware, and there is nowhere near the variety of airports available for FSX compared to FS9.

The general textures in FSX are better than default textures in FS9 by far BUT I have several sets of addon FS9 textures which make the difference far more difficult to spot.

I can't claim any knowledge of X-Plane at all but I'm not likely to swap over either since I am happy with my FS9 set-up which provides me with plenty of flying options and enjoyment ;)

So, for what it's worth, I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:52:34 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »
Hi Dominic
Can you give me some idea of what FS9 add-on textures you would recommend for FS9, both freeware and payware?  I have been tending to use freeware stuff and find that, often, they provide very little improvement over the default.
Thanks,
Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »
Ian,

For ground textures I use the payware Ground Environment which you can see the specifications for HERE and the same bloke does Flight Environment for sky, clouds etc. In my view these packages are outstanding!

Freeware-wise I have tried so many over the years for clouds, water, sun and moon textures, all sorts - probably just worth searching Flightsim.com and Avsim's file libraries for 'replacement textures' and check out the ones with the mosy downloads ;)

Don't forget these are all very personal choices too - one man's meat and all that  ;D
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »
Thanks, Dominic. I will have a look at these.

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:18:38 pm »
I am now ready to look at texture enhancements.
Dominic: Would you recommend Ground Environment or Ground Environment Pro? I am not sure of difference.

All: Are there any general views on Ground Environment versus Real Environment Extreme?

Ian

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:14 pm »
Ground environment and REX are not really in competition. REX does texture sea and runways etc, but not the main ground. Ground environment doesn't touch clouds etc.

They work well together I hear.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:17 am »
Dominic: Would you recommend Ground Environment or Ground Environment Pro? I am not sure of difference.

I've got plain old GE so I can't give an opinion on GE Pro I'm afraid bit I'm very happy with the quality compared to MS default textures ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 11:56:22 am »
Dominic
I have just about decided to go for your recommendation on Ground Environment. Just one question though. Does this give an improvement to the look of towns and cities eg. when flying over London is it in any way recognisable as London? Maybe I am looking for too much!!!

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »
Hi Ian,

GE does improve the look of towns and cities in a generic way - it makes the urban textures look more realistic than default textures - but it doesn't affect the placement of these textures which is down to the landclass data. This landclass data is changed by the use of addons such as Ultimate Terrain Europe (payware also by Flight1) or you can get freeware improvements for landclass as you can see HERE - scroll down to the bottom where it says UK Landclass (lots of other good freeware addon scenery here too).

Or you can get one of the addon London sceneries such as Visualflight London (payware)which you can find HERE - these older FS2004 sceneries are harder to find now as many have been replaced by FSX only versions but a web search might turn up others. These will obviously give you a much better rendition of London ;)

Or try and pick up an old copy of JustFlight's VFR photographic scenery (Volume 1 covers London) on eBay such as THIS ONEwhich looks great for VFR flights but does have limitations (no autogen etc)...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:31:04 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »
Hi Dominic
Can I just check with you? I have downloaded and tried to install Ground Environment. This leads to a screen asking me to tick parts that I want eg. Global Coverage- Day; Global Coverage-Night, etc. I have done this and get the message that files have been installed. Do I then just tick the EXIT on this screen and that should be it?

I am wondering if I have missed a step or something as the environment around the airport when I go into FS9 doesn't look any different to it was before!!!

Ian 

anything