Author Topic: FreeTrack head tracking software  (Read 5278 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
FreeTrack head tracking software
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:05:05 am »
I just started a little project to create a cheap TrackIR alternative, using the FreeTrack software http://www.free-track.net/english/), and some cheap hardware.

I ordered the parts (IR LEDs, resistors, shrink tube, battery holder, batteries, red wire, black wire, soldering wire) a couple of days ago, and yesterday evening, all was delivered.

Over the weekend, I'll be soldering it all together, and I'll put that on the hat. So I hope to show you all the results in a couple of days. :)
Stay tuned!

EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: FreeTrack head tracking software
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:53:10 am »
Nice project E-J, I've got Track-IR and it makes a really big difference to how realistic flights are in the VC so a free version is a great idea ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »
I have the TrackIR v4 and it's awesome. v5 is better but I can't justify the cost.

Let us know how the home-brew goes E-J
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:25 pm »
Well, I got it all soldered together, but I am still not happy with the lack of "brightness" of the LEDs, so that makes tuning the sensitivity of FreeTrack a drag.
I have removed the IR filter from my webcam, and placed a visible light filter in its place, but still too much interference from other pixels next to the LEDs.
I shunted the series resistor, so it's only the LEDs now, in series on 3 1.5V batteries. Can't get much simpler (or brighter) than that :)

I could go for a 9V block with a series resistor, or add another 1.5V battery, or so, but I'll let that simmer for a bit now. I have some work preparations to do for tomorrow, so I'm gonna call it a day. Next weekend another chance!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »
Important question if you're having brightness issues E-J, what voltage are your LEDs? If they're 5V, and you're running 3 in series, you'll actually need a touch more voltage and a resistor to pull it down again.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »
I used the recommended SFH485P LEDs: javascript:openreq('http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/50/486602_DS.pdf')
Forward voltage is 1.5V, so the 4.8V I am offering now (batteries are still brand new ;)) should do the trick. I even shorted the series resistor, but to no avail.

Maybe I'll go for the parallel setup, but that would mean re-routing all wiring, and I didn't feel like that last Sunday afternoon any more. So maybe next weekend...

To be continued...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud