Author Topic: FS9 Scenery Issue  (Read 4344 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
FS9 Scenery Issue
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:19:05 pm »
Hi
I wonder if anyone has come across this problem with FS9 scenery and if so, if there is a known solution? When flying at high altitudes there is a distinct line - sometimes zig-zag, sometimes straight - shown across the scenery. Beyond this line the landscape is flat and indistinct. I have attached a picture to show this. I am using Windows 7 x64bit with an ATI Radeon HD5700 video card. I am also using Ground Environment. I don't remember having had this issue with my old - and much lower spec - PC.
Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: FS9 Scenery Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
In your scenery/graphics settings there should be a number of options including "Extended Terrain Textures" Ian - check this box as I'm pretty sure this determines how far the sim draws quality textures and this is what it's not doing in your screenshot. (This is from memory as I'm about to get ready for work but if that doesn't solve it, let me know and I'll look further!)

In fact, I've just found a thread on a scenery forum HERE that explains it all much better than I can  ;D

Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Re: FS9 Scenery Issue
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:09 pm »
Thanks again, Dominic.  I already had Extended Terrain ticked but this didn't help a lot for some reason. However, the adjustments suggested in the link you supplied have made a big difference. In fact I think that restricting the distance of visibility right up to cruising height actually makes the ground look more realistic. I can now see that it is unrealistically sharp from high altitudes at the normal setting. The downside of restricting visibility distance is that you can't use real weather but I am thinking of investing in the complete version of FSUIPC which, as far as I understand from the link, allows you to make the adjustments and still use real weather.

Also, I meant to email and say, Ground Environment is much better than default. Some areas around add-on airports look no differentt but once you get out from there, the differnece shows more clearly.

Ian

anything