Author Topic: First IFR IVAO Flight with ATC and I was horrible...  (Read 7902 times)

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
First IFR IVAO Flight with ATC and I was horrible...
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:04:36 pm »
EGLL-EHAM

I'd like to say the controllers were unbelievably patient with me, especially considering the nature and severity of the mistakes I made.

First off, I sat at the gate for about half an hour, listening to ATC before requesting clearance. I flicked over to Tower as well to listen to that and make sure I had the frequency programmed in on the com. Tower helpfully instructed me to go to ground frequency (I had 'New' in my comments). Abashed, I returned ;)

Now, I'd flown this flight several times before offline in advance to make sure I had the AirbusX systems well under my belt. Eventually, I worked up the courage to request clearance. On request, the Flight level was invalid, so I had to change the plan. the departure runway was different to that one I had flown on my practise runs and the SID was different. I couldn't find 7 Foxtrot in FSCommander - I almost panicked, but I was on the ground and could take things slow. Real Slow. I picked the most appropriate SID I had and checked on text if that was ok.

Next, I realised I had started at a gate at the other end of the airport from the departure runway, and Heathrow is pretty big, so after setting up the Airbus's systems and running through checklists, I requested pushback and start, then ready to taxi and started the longest taxi I've ever done in a flight sim.

I was switched over to Tower before my hold point, and that was all fine. Cleared for takeoff - I rolled onto the runway and ran through the last of the pre-takeoff checklist and made sure all the blue checklist lines were extinguished. Flaps set. Throttles to T/O and she started the takeoff roll, passed v1, then I pulled back on the stick and we were off the ground. Positive rate - Gear UP. The undercarriage whined as she retracted into the belly of the plane.

I hit autopilot AP1 at that point, and the computers took full control and started to descend -Eeeek - what's wrong?? I pulled backj on the stick and the aircraft lurched upwards, the shrill of the autopilot disengage caution ringing in my ears.

It was at this point that tower then asked me to squak C mode. C Mode? I thought. WTF IS C mode? and more immediately, how do I stop the plane flying into the ground? I glanced through the aircraft panels before it struck me. Although I had entered the correct altitude for managed mode in the MCP, in my earlier distress over the flight plan change, I had failed to press the button to engage it, or notice the set alt value on the PFD.

I hit the button and punched the AP button again.

She decided to rise this time - phew, so I had a few seconds to try to deal with Mode C issue as Tower patiently repeated for the third time without response from me - He then told me to push the button next to the squak number. I hit it once, got another request and jammed my virtual finger on it repeatedly in quick succession.

"It's not working" I eventually reported, "I press it and nothing happens".

I then noticed that the autopilot appeared ready to fly me in a complete circle to return to the first waypoint. I pulled the Hdg dial and rotated it left to roughly where I needed to go, and returned my attention to 'Mode C'.

The controller calmly explained that I needed to press the button on the IVAO panel. I quicky stopped clicking on the AirbusX transponder panel and started bashing the buttons on the IVAO panel. The controller then explained the it was the button to the left of the numbers and a light would go green. Pow - I got it and the light changed. Tower then cleared me to the next frequency, no doubt glad to see the back of me and wondering if I'd ever make it to my destination, but professionally showing none of the above.

I thanked the controller for his patience and changed freequency, marvelling at how I could now calm down a little as the aircraft had reached 6000ft and was holding steady. I began to wonder when I would be cleared higher, or if it was normal to hold 6000 for some time on the departure from London. Centre then kindly contacted me - as I'd failed to contact them after changing frequency.

I was cleared to Fl200, which I quickly obeyed and confirmed, almost for the first time in the flight remembering to report my callsign with the response transmission.

The flight through the next few waypoints was fairly uneventful. With a little breathing space, I'd managed to get the autopilot back onto following the flight plan, but then I started worrying about my destination, searching the web and opening Simplates for any chart I could get my hands on. I was passed onto the Netherlands, and had a little difficulty understanding the controller there through his lovely warm and rolling dutch accent. He helpfully gave text in addition to voice and I understood I'd been given a star.

Some frantic searching of FSCommander, and I had the STAR added to my flightplan on the moving map - however the simple FMC only uses the FSX flight plan  and I didn't have time to play around with that - out popped the heading dial again and the plane dutifully stopped following the FMC and headed towards the next waypoint on the moving map.

I'd been told what airfield to expect, but my brain decided that it had had enough and made a quick exit, leaving me lolling at the controls, dribbling and grinning while the aluminium bird plunged onward through the sky. When I finally regained my faculties and after furiously searching the net, simplatesX and FSCommander, I realised that I could just hover on the destination airport and read off the ifr frequency. I did it and entered it into the aircraft. I checked it and was glad I did as one of the numbers had rolled as I enterd it - a quick fix and we were all set.

ATC cleared me direct to SPL or PLC or something like that but for the life of me I couldn't find it. Eventually, some kindly soul gave me a bearing to follow and I dutifully complied, descending all the while and rapidly running through my checklists.

I changed controller, then appeared to change again, deliberately slowing the aircraft, lowering flaps and worrying if the right ILS Frequency had been entered. The view from the cockpit was a wall of grey - thank goodness the aircraft was CAT III! As the aircraft caught the glideslope, I felt a vague relief overshadowed by the need to land the plane safely and then get it parked.

ATC told me to change freq to tower - I rolled the numbers on my VRInsight MCP and hit my transmit key "Harmony 1997 with you, caught ILS". The plane was rolling left and right to stay on the glideslope - the aircraft too fast, I deployed speedbrakes to slow it, hoping this would ease it onto the right path.

Red messages were beeping on the panel. I was staring out of the window - the airport appeared - crosswind! A pit opened in my stomach - not too much for the autoland I hoped. The airfield loomed out of the gloom and I stole a glance at the red messages - I was on the wrong frequency. Tower had never heard my contact message. I tried rollin the com dial again, but the frequency was to three decimal places and the VRInsight panel was to 2 - I couldn't tune it!! The ground loomed up at me now - no time to worry about the radio, I had to keep from crashing.

I flared and the aircraft shuddered as the wheels struck tarmac, the autobrakes operating and me fighting the crosswind with rudder to keep the aircraft on the runway. We shuddered to a stop and the red messages continues - I thought about what to do and decided turning off next taxiway to clear the runway was safest. I did that and applied brakes, halting the plane and finding the coms panel in the VC. Ah - I'd thought it may have been in the FMC, but that's for nav not com. I dialed the correct frequency and sheepishly stated '1997, with you'.

Tower cried "eventually" and asked me what had happened - I claimed pilot overload on landing and was told that while they weren't busy currently, that next time I must go around. I nodded to myself - If only I'd thought - been able to think.

I was directed to the gate and then missed the turnoff, the controller offered assistance which I gladly took, and was given a bearing to follow. I parked up and mis hit control+? which hung the sim and then crashed it attempting to open a help window. I informed the controller I was parked and the sim had crashed and thanked his also for his patience.

I was glad to be on the ground.

I'll try again, but perhaps on a weekend rather than a worknight until I can take it in my stride. It was an interesting experience and it is amazing how much knowledge fled me under pressure.

That said, I was able to fly the bus from origin to destination, land safely (forgetting the lack of clearance) and make it gate to gate.

My thanks and gratitude to the controllers in both the UK and Netherlands for getting me through such a stressful initiation.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
Re: First IFR IVAO Flight with ATC and I was horrible...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »
What a nice experience Alex ;D to tell you the truth in holidays or weekends IVAO or VATSIM is crowded, but as you said very, very interesting and I learn a lot with this controllers, I mean in IVAO the EHAM ATC are the best for me. Until now I fly without voice I mean I used text message for the IVAP.

Thanks for sharing you're first IFR IVAO flight ;), sometimes I'd the same situations but is nice to fly with IVAO or VATSIM and in ProPilot too of course :)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:53 am »
Well done to you sir. As a C1 (or Tower-rated controller in the newspeak) I have sympathy for and fear of new pilots, so if you want to have some "private" field time to talk about RT procedures or whatever after NG is live, you need but ask.

Only thing I would advise other new pilots preparing for their first IVAO/VATSIM flights; read everything you can - the client software manual (would have explained mode Charlie to you Alex...), the guides provided by the networks, and "stories" like Alex has written above. The more you have somewhere in your brain, the easier it'll be.

And my one piece of advice to you Alex? If a controller sends you direct to a nav feature and you don't find it within a few seconds (FMCs a good for this), ask for a heading immediately. Makes your and the controllers life much easier...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:33:55 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:31:59 pm »
Interesting indeed this experience and makes me think that EHM could set a sort of online training sessions for those who wanted to do it. I believe that there are many EHM members like Murray. But also I would like to recommend to do what we do in real life. Start at a very low level. Start with a very simple plane. EHM could set the training sessions with the Baron or the Pipers. Short flights so the trainee can go from A to B and then back in a short time so the session is not that long. We could even use our Teamspeak feature if the ATC is active. BTW, how can we access the TS? Is there a place were we can get info about it?
And I support what Murray said: there is an excellent set of documents either at IVAO or VATSIM that explain the basics of online flying. Like in the real life.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:00:49 pm »
I had read all the IVAO manuals for the software, but it took me a long time to make the leap so to speak - I was almost encouraged onto VATSIM a couple of years back, but fell at the last hurdle.

I do think at some point you need to make the leap - be damned. Lots of knowledge I do have fled me as I felt the pressure of time and a fear of doing something wrong (which obviously contributes to actually doing things wrong). I normally fly with radar contact, so I'm used to the general phraseology, but going from pressing it to speaking it on top of everything else is going to be a new learning experience for me.

That said, I'll be sure to know what to do next time and I'm much better prepared as to what to expect. It's not as overwhelming a prospect as it was for me.

Still, despite all the issues the plane took off, flew the route (ivao preferred I add) and landed - with a sid and star on each end - all despite me being in control.

I do appreciate what a help flying with a completely operational FMC (+ hardware) would be and the advantages of updated navigraph data.

So while I certainly think most things went wrong on my inaugral flight, there was still room for things to go worse, and hopefully next time will be better.

I certainly feel as if I've moved the next rung up the ladder in terms of my flight simming - the way you feel when you learn how to hold a turn, or fly your first ILS approach. Hope I master it without irritating the controllers.

Any tips on how to navigate taxiways? FSC has airport diagrams but they could be better - I don't particularly like the ones in simplate and reading them out of the window has got me lost once already ;)
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:23:57 pm »
I certainly feel as if I've moved the next rung up the ladder in terms of my flight simming - the way you feel when you learn how to hold a turn, or fly your first ILS approach. Hope I master it without irritating the controllers.

Any tips on how to navigate taxiways? FSC has airport diagrams but they could be better - I don't particularly like the ones in simplate and reading them out of the window has got me lost once already ;)

Taxiway charts are your best (and only real) choice; real-world for absolute preference, and failing that the next best are (IMO) NaviGraph - even if they are astonishingly expensive.

And FYI, only real-world pilots don't make a total mess of their first online flight ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:36:43 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
Some helpful links:

Click AIP then click specific aerodrome and voila...all UK charts:
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=2.html

Mainly USA etc:
http://skyvector.com/

All USA charts:
http://dtpp.myairplane.com/

At least on VATSIM you can get a link direct to a given countries associated VATSIM/FIR website and get fairly up-to-date chart packages for all major airfields. I'm sure its the same on IVAO.

I always update to the latest freeware .bgl file where possible for any VATSIM activity (unless its a little runty bush one). I then update FS Commander and you can navigate on the ground taxiways using that if not comfy with the charts. EGLL is actually not too bad to navigate around-its when you have crosswind runways and scattered terminals like ESSA or KJFK that it can be a beast.

Maybe we should have a little group PC-12 or DH-6 flight scheduled for fun on VATSIM. Heck even on Xplane as I have XSB up and running there.

Also I personally like FSInn...but I'm on FSX. That squawkbox thing is a bit icky  :P

Anyway well done on first online flight. I actually bothered getting the VATSIM P1 rating (not much to do with flying...more procedural) and it is addicting.

And hey-if in doubt of a procedure-ask the controller for vectors. And on the ground you are well within your rights to ask for "progressive taxi" and the controllers will guide you left right left right  ;D

My first time flying out of Gatwick I got so badly lost the Gatwick director offered to let me take off from the inactive runway lol. I eventually wandered to the right spot. Ground ops are not easy in the sim.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:23:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail Alexander - I'm sure most newbie online pilots fear and experience just such occurrences during their flights until they get accustomed to the demands of online flight ;)

Hopefully your example will encourage others to dip their toes in  :)

@ Hector - you're quite right, online training is a brilliant way to help pilots overcome their fears and gain confidence. It would be great if some of our regular online pilots wanted to put themselves forward to share their knowledge as at the moment most MT members are tied up with the new website, new Flight Logger, new routes and 10th Anniversary plans.

Any volunteers out there?  ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline divanovic

• Taxi and hold
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:59 am »
Hey Alexander,
thanks for sharing such a nice story, and as Murray said we all made a mess of our first online flight :)
It takes some time to get the phraseology and calm your nerves, but the hardest part for you is over and behind you. You will see that your offline flying is kinda over very soon too.
All the best, good luck!

Any volunteers out there?  ;)

I am online almost everyday at either LOWW_APP or LYBA_CTR on Ivao, so if anyone wants to practice procedures, phraseology or whatever, let me know when you see me. Just say you belong to EHM, in case your callsign is different.
cheers
Dejan

anything