Author Topic: A bit of advice please  (Read 4360 times)

Offline EHM-2659 Manuel

• Gear up
A bit of advice please
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »
I currently use FS2004 and I am thinking in purchasing the X-Plane. does any one use it and do I have to buy scenary otherwise everithing is water? Somene told me that and not very good resource. If you want to drop a line with your experience on it I would be most appreciated.

All  the best

Manuel
EHM 2659 Manuel Sabater
VATSIM 1061771 IVAO 331681

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: A bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »
I use x-plane. Ted is big into it at the moment, Murray, Andrei and Eric-Jan all own it as well.

To answer, I really need to know how you like to fly and how much you spend on payware - what computer specs you have etc.

You get 4 DVDs worth of world scenery with x-plane, the ground looks better than MSFS, but most airports have no terminal buildings until you download a freeware or payware scenery and install it - this will be addressed in x-plane 10 out this year which adds facades and plausible terminals to airports.

X-Plane is a superb sim, but it is different to MSFS and you will need to learn how to use it, as you did microsoft flight sim - they both have theirn strengths and weaknesses. The add-on market is developing, so not as strong as for MSFS.

Currently X-plane is strongest with smaller aircraft - props etc - there are a few study sim jets in development and there are some excellent payware and freeware out there.

X-plane payware is generally cheaper than MSFS payware
X-plane generally runs better (perfromance) than MSFS
X-Plane's flight model feels superior in smaller aircraft (in my opinion).
MSFS has more study sim aircraft and a more established / larger community
X-Plane is growing and many add on makers are starting to make add ons for x-plane
MSFS (FSX) Looks better than x-plane generally, although x-plane can look better (x-planes lighting system, efficieny are superior to MSFS allowing for much better looking aircraft/scenery to run, and the number of good stuff is currently small but growing).

have a read about, check out screenshots and videos on youtube and grab the demo to try for yourself.

http://www.x-plane.com/pg_downloads.html

You get 10 minutes until it ignores control inputs, then restart the sim to get another 10 minutes etc.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2659 Manuel

• Gear up
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »
Hey Alex,

Just purchased X-Plane. Once again thanks for the advice and help

All  the best

Manuel
EHM 2659 Manuel Sabater
VATSIM 1061771 IVAO 331681

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »
When it arrives take a look at the x-plane threads we have here on the forum, especially the getting started ones.

Persist with it, it certainly grows on you  ;D
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

anything