Author Topic: Level-D 767  (Read 6262 times)

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
Level-D 767
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:37 pm »
I wonder if anyone can give me a quick fix for an annoying situation that has arisen for me when flying my Level_D 767. I have been flying this for some time now with no problems but have been away from it for a bit flying PMDG aircraft and I am wondering if I have got approach procedures between the two mixed up . On my last few flights my FMC doesn't seem to be getting me onto a correct approach for the runway - I always end up in the vicinity of the runway but not on a straight approach. This happens at a number of different airports I have tried. I am using the facility where the FO operates the input of data, the flaps, undercarriage, etc. My procedure (offline) is as follows:
1. I usually make my descent manually rather than letting the FMC do this.
2. When I see that the ILS frequency and direction are showing up on the dial and I am therefore close enough to pick up the glide slope, I switch on my LOC.
3. On my final approach turn I then engage APP.
4. It is usually shortly after this that I realise that I am not in line with the runway!!
I realise that I must be missing something but I am not sure what. This procedure seems to have worked before...................as far as I can remember!!

Ian
PS It has just occurred. On my last flight I engaged APP prior to clearing my final waypoint (the last three were in direct line) and ended up well to the left of my intended landing runway. Could this be what causes the problem, by any chance?

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: Level-D 767
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »
Hi Ian,

I don't want to state any too obvious ideas but equally don't want to miss any important possibilities so here are some initial assumptions:-

1. The ILS frequency and radial tuned by the Level-D data is the same as the one in MSFS? (These sometimes differ so you might want to check frequencies in the MSFS map and confirm the course is correctly set)

2. You are intercepting the Localizer before the Glideslope so that the plane is lined up before the final descent starts?

If these are all ok then there is a possibility that flying using the FMC can set you up on a parallel course to the actual localizer (a problem in the RW which has led to accidents) so when intercepting (if not using the FMC all the way) you can use HDG SEL on an intercept course to ensure that you are set up to cross the ILS course at an angle less than 45 degrees then arm the LOC switch which should ensure that you turn and intercept the proper ILS course rather than a parallel signal. This has happened to me when I've programmed an entire FMC approach so may explain the issue.

Good luck!
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:23:22 am »
Thanks for response, Dominic. First two points are OK. Your further explanation seems about right. In each case, the FMC is putting me on a course parallel to the main runway. I will try doing as you suggest.
Since this issue has only emerged recently, I just wondered if I was forgetting any vital steps in the process of making a full FMC landing. Also I don't seem to have the same problem with the PMDG 737 or 747.

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
Ian,

Just another thought, are you happy with the whole FMC waypoint pogramming process? By that I mean closing up discontinuities etc to ensure the FMC programmed route doesn't suddenly end? Just a thought because you might need to ensure that the enroute and approach segments are linked in to your final course (using the facility to set up a waypoint that is an extension to the runway centreline can be useful here) otherwise it might be that the FMC can't set you up to be in the right place to intercept the ILS.

That said, if you don't have this issue with the PMDG planes, this probably isn't the solution. Just thinking out loud really ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2383 Ian

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:45:30 pm »
Hi Dominic
I have just completed a flight and took your advice in making sure that I was crossing the ILS course before activating the LOC. This worked. Thanks again. I'll keep an eye on that from now on. I remember reading somewhere that pilot intervention is very often indicated with the levelD 767 rather than always relying fully on the FMS.

Ian

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »
Glad that helped Ian  ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management