Author Topic: A Visit to Buffalo Air  (Read 5859 times)

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
A Visit to Buffalo Air
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »
So today I took a 4 pax charter in the trusty PC-12 rolling from PAKT to lovely Yellowknife CYZF-the home of Buffalo Air! As it happened I had the camera crew and all the gear onboard for the trip who were doing the current season of "Ice Pilots"....what a great gig. They were coming direct from doing aerial shots in support of "Deadliest Catch" and had been stuck in Ketchikan.

Cool of EuroBusiness Charters to hook 'em up.

Flight plan:

CETK5.ANN (the SID from PAKT) DUXAR IGSEL YYE NOXAN NAKTO XIKIX GADEB

About 720 miles or so. Man did I ever hit high altitude cross winds at my planned FL230.

Anyway...I had lovely VATSIM control from PAKT through to Edmonton airspace which was cool. Its a scenic trip and usually always control to be had online.

So....some images. Enjoy!

FL230 over the Rockies and getting blown sideways

FL150 near Hay River. This is stock XP9.7. I just got REX for XPlane but have not put it in yet. Can't wait to see those results.

FL070 over Great Slave Lake. As X-Plane does not have the ILS approach I went with the NDB. No biggie and good practice.

The weather was just taking a turn for the worse as I landed. Slippery runway and blowing snow=long rollout.

Parking up at Buffalo Air headquarters. Gotta get a t-shirt!

And with one of the water bombers in the background I get her shut down. Snow falling and cold--but a great trip. See ya next time!

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: A Visit to Buffalo Air
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:28:03 am »
Excellent report, Ted! Beautiful, out-of-the box XP9 pictures; that must really be something once you have XPREX up and running too ...  :o

can't wait to go fly in that region again myself, with XP10. Soon, I hope :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:05:56 am »
Nice shots there ted. Look forward to seeing the next installment.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:30:41 am »
Excellent report, Ted! Beautiful, out-of-the box XP9 pictures; that must really be something once you have XPREX up and running too ...  :o

can't wait to go fly in that region again myself, with XP10. Soon, I hope :)

Unfortunately at the present time I cannot get the XPX demo to load...possibly due to driver incompatibility. And with XP9.7 working pretty much in a flawless fashion I am in no rush to change over and provide beta testing lol. I'll wait til all the current crop of issues are sorted out and get a sense of the real scaling towards moderate systems before making the change. It will give the payware devs a chance to get any issues under control.

I am actually having some trouble getting REXPlane to see my XP install; however, the excellent dudes at REX are getting that sorted this week. And then hopefully it adds even more beauty and some weather smoothing.....it can be a chore with online flying with sudden wind shifts and outrageous velocities at height.

anything