Author Topic: A Wild Ride-Routine turns dangerous!  (Read 5312 times)

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
A Wild Ride-Routine turns dangerous!
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:26 pm »
With 17 pax aboard I filed VFR for a relatively quick and scenic hop from Radium Hot Springs (CBL6) over to Blue River (CYCP) getting some folks home in time for the holidays.

Weather looked great for the trip and with Blue River supposed to be clear-ish through FL060 I looked to have a nice sightseeing trip up the Blue River Valley.

Then I got the latest weather about 35 minutes out. Not looking so great but manageable. Still nice outside and nothing too horrible up ahead.

And out of nowhere-the white stuff hits the screen. I snapped on the de-icers (only the prop on Aerosoft) and dumped altitude

Hmmm should I try and sneak west and cut through a pass? Or call it a day and climb out for a divert. I decided to go for it.

Not the greatest decision I ever made. Full tilt blizzard, high winds, and lots of rocks nearby.

I spent the next 15-20 minutes gingerly picking my way through the passes trying to keep out of the clouds. My radar altimeter alerted several times. If you look carefully you can see on the GPS just how close-and so very far away I was from my destination.

Suddenly a gap appeared and I dove right in aiming for the valley. Many barf bags in use. A few screams in the back too but hey-seatbelt sign was on....and the side of the plane says WILD right?  :D

CYCP showed up through the snow and after a quick left pattern entry to get my speed down I deployed the barn doors (flaps) to full and floated down on final.

A long rollout on the slick runway and we were down and safe!

Try that in your PMDG 737  ;D

FSX has its moments and today was one of them! ORBX scenery, REX, and Aerosofts 2-Otter were not harmed in the filing of this report.

I'm skipping the skiis at the moment as I did not like the way they handled. The tundra tires are good enough for most places and 20 degree flaps gets you airborne and climbing like a rocket!

See ya next time!

Ted
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:05:22 pm by EHM-2381 Ted »

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: A Wild Ride-Routine turns dangerous!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:00:58 pm »
Awesome Adventurres, Ted! Glad no-one got hurt  :o
Thanks for sharing...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer