Author Topic: Concluded UK tour  (Read 4405 times)

Offline EHM-2781 Renaat

• Ready for take-off
Concluded UK tour
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »
Hi Gents,
I've completed the UK tour today and I wanted to make a small report about it, I hope this doesn't seams like bragging  ;)

I flow all leg with X-plane 10 and the standard Beechcraft Baron 58.
It was only today on my last leg that I"ve noticed that the Euroharmony livery doesn't work, I guess it's because it's made for v9.
Making a repaint for a aircraft is something that on my 'challenge list' for a very long time, maybee now is the opportunity to get my brushes wet (no promisses about the results :).

I flow always with real weather, some with nice thunderstorms. Turbulence in x-plane is a very strong force, many on the x-plan forum find it to strong. I can occur if your flying a small plane your something need to adjust the turbulence otherwise it's impossible to land in one piece (believe my I tried  ::))
I flow some legs online on ivao but I never had actully ATC cover  :-[

I tried to fly VFR as much as possible. I've use G-Plan for flight prep and charts off NATIS AIS website.

During the first half of legs I struggle to spot the destination runway for the skies. I got better when I realized that I descented too much  ahead of my destination. Weather allowed I flow around 2000 AGL and decent to 1000 AGL when close to my destination. It's logic, if your higher I get a better view so one I stayed higher it was much easier to find the runway.
Some airfields where simple grass lanes. One was even on the beach, no sure if it's in reality so or that's a x-plane error. Let's say spotting the sand 'runway' was really a challenge and I needed a couple of GoArounds to get it right.

In flight I used the X-mapper Pro app on my iPad as moving map. There is also a freeware version of this app: x-mapper Lite

Even I did really enjoyed the experience of flying hands-on, as your contant need to trim in X-plane,  and the short flights but I also looking forward to flying a bit bigger airplane for a longer haul.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:11:44 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Don't panic!! The Answer is 42...
H'um what was the Question again ?

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Concluded UK tour
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:59 pm »
I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, Renaat! :)

Indeed X-Plane doesn't show airports as easy as MSFS, but I think that's only more realistic. It does put you to the challenge, eh? You've solved that problem "by the book", by approaching higher. Very good!

I'll have a look myself too at the painting of that Baron. Last time I flew her was on XP9.7, so I'll give her a nudge in XP10 as well, and see if I can reproduce the problem.

X-mapper looks nice. Maybe I'll give that a try too, some day. For now, I'll stick to my Air Navigation Pro, which I already have purchased for my Real Life flying (about to start my PPL course).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:16:19 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Concluded UK tour
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 01:43:24 pm »
I looked at the Baron-in-XP10 issue, and I see your point. The livery iself works OK, if you have installed it as per the install.txt:
only it keeps reverting back to the default red/brown livery, even if you open the plane in Planemaker, with the EHM livery, and then save it again. Even if you choose "Save as", and give it another name, it still reverts back to the original livery by default.

Only advise I can give for now: after firing up XP10, open up the Baron, with the EHM livery ticked.
I'll try to find out wether this is plane-specific, or if it is revision related (using 10.10r3 myself...). Stand by ...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer