Author Topic: Ready for the Tropical Traders Event?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Ready for the Tropical Traders Event?
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »
We have currently 18 pilots sign up for the Tropical Traders Event, which is bound to start next Friday.  :D
Are you all ready for this ProPilot adventure?
I know I have been practising a bit, in order to be well-prepared.

This time, I am planning to fly the entire Event on X-Plane10, using the Leading Edge Simulations DC-3. She's a real work to fly, I must say! It's by no means a full-throttle-off-you-go type of plane! If you treat her like that, you'll find yourself back on the ground within 5 minutes. The engines need gentle treatment in order not to blow up right after take-off. Constantly monitoring not only rpm and manifold pressure, but also oil- and cylinder head temperatures. On the ground: cowl flaps open; keep them open while flying, and your oil might become too thick (cold), and stop lubricating the engines enough... Oil pressure needs to atay "in the green" at all times.
If that is not enough, if you blindly flip all switches to the "on" position, you will be dumping fuel along the way. Leaving you with both 210 gallon main tanks empty well within the hour. By that time, you better know where to find BOTH fuel selectors, or you'll find yourself with at least one engine less. Flying on one engine is do-able, but climb power will be near to zero. So that's a something to keep in mind. And adding flaps will then produce so much drag, that you will not be able to maintain altitude (without over-stressing the remaining engine). Then there is the challenge of landing a taildragger in high crosswinds ... I haven't tried that one yet with one engine, but I'll probably get around to that somewhere this week. And did I mention the "autopilot", which is not much pore than a wing leveler...
Then there is the "challenge" (for me at least) to manage X-IvAp properly. It is similar to the FSX version, but still somewhat different. Not sure if TeamSpeak gets fired up, since I did not see it, but I also did not need it yet (no ATC), so I forgot to check. Will give that a try too, this week.
At least there's no significant frame rate drop, or frame boosting fog, when flying on-line. I saw (visually) one other plane, so there's a start already.

Lots to do, still, this coming week, in order to show up well prepared at WSSS.
Study the manuals, checklists, etc. Experiment a little more with connecting and such. Perfecting my emergency procedures. Getting all round proficiency ;)
Then buy me some mosquito repellent. I already had all my shots last month ...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
Re: Ready for the Tropical Traders Event?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 08:21:32 am »
I don't know if I'm as well prepared to start the Tropic Trade Tour as Eric-Jan has done, but what I do know is, that I would like to fly online together with some of you. Untill now only David has let me know to join. You still can.... just pick your dates and times by clicking the next link: http://www.doodle.com/xd4ggeug9mimxnty!

Hope to meet you online and don't forget to install Mumble,

Peter

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Ready for the Tropical Traders Event?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »
I did have a look at the Doodle before, but my problem is that I do not yet know what this Christmas week will bring me. Not sure if we'll go to the camping (that would mean leaving on Friday, returning Sunday late afternoon with a bunch of stuff to unpack etc). If not, then I'll have numerous opportunities during the weekend. But if so, then my TT Event will start somewhere between Christmas and New Years. But New Years will be at our place this year, so there's some preparation involved as well...
All  in all, I just cannot say at this moment when I will be flying. I know I will be, and I'm looking forward to it. And preferably on-line with friendly colleagues ;). but it will be a spur of the moment kind of thing for me, I'm afraid.

{EDIT} for all other pilots that want to try out our Company Channel: read this forum post: http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,7244.0.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:16:19 pm by EHM-2387 Eric-Jan »
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

anything