Author Topic: Is it okay to save and -- if no other option -- reload flights?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline EHM-2832 Tomi

• Taxi and hold
Scenario: Early night over London struggling to land after flying in from Stockholm, one go-around (aircraft cleared for takeoff just as we're on final, good idea) and two missed approaches (uh, short final went wrong), and the plane has barely a hundred pounds of fuel left on board (like 2 minutes worth), coming in to final for the last time, as one more missed approach and boom, tanks dry, engines off, plane down. However, as still not classifying myself as perfect, I carefully save the flight every time as I begin a final approach.

So my question is: from the viewpoint of Flight Operations, is it an allowed act to reload a saved flight, if that seems to be the only option to prevent a highly certain crash, or should that already be considered a crash and struggle 15 seconds more just to crash and say goodbye to the whole flight? I'm asking this because I know Flogger records/reports continuous data on altitude, bearing and fuel on board, and a sudden "jump" in the records (as reloading an earlier state) looks kind of awkward. My question both applies to Non-Propilot and Propilot flights.

Sorry if my question may be a little primitive; I have only been member of the VA for a week.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: Is it okay to save and -- if no other option -- reload flights?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:48 pm »
Hi Tomi,

There is no problem, for normal flights, with reloading a saved flight in the circumstances you describe as an alternative to crashing the plane.

All I'd add to that is that we hope everyone learns from such difficult situations and avoids problems in future flights by careful flight and fuel planning thus giving yourself a bigger margin for the unexpected :)

As to ProPilot flights, I believe the interruption to data would probably invalidate the flight when trying to submit - I'm sure Andrei will be able to clarify this aspect. Since PP flights are intended to more closely reflect real world operations I would have to say that crashing the plane would result in not being able to record the flight.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:52:50 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2832 Tomi

• Taxi and hold
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »
Thank you  :) and of course we always learn something new, if nothing else then at least how fat the 50 on board passengers can be to still fit while still to carry the decent amount of fuel for the journey  :P

As to recording flights, I've had 2 crashes so far, once an AI plane taxied into me on the ground and once I've had a hydraulic failure and went into a building on approach. In the first case Flogger let me reload my saved short final, in the second case though it reported a crash and that was it with the flight, I had to start everything all over (I didn't expect it otherwise either btw). Neither flight was ProPilot; I am too paranoid yet to fly PP  :P I don't want to cause a disaster.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
Easiest thing to avoid these issues is to switch off crash detection within Flight Simulator - it's not a very realistic feature as you can all too easily crash into invisible objects on the ground at certain airports and, as you found out, AI pilots have a slightly suicidal approach to separation ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management