Author Topic: SID/STAR discussion for everyone but Razza  (Read 3865 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
SID/STAR discussion for everyone but Razza
« on: March 01, 2005, 07:12:16 pm »
Jon Rasmussen sent me a PM this afternoon asking for a basic explanation of what SID/STARs are and how they work.

That got me thinking, so in hopes of a "sticky" topic in the future, and for the benefit of everyone else, here's what I came up with after answering Jon's queries...

You can think of SID and STAR charts a bit like AutoRoute maps that work in three dimensions - they tell you (the pilot) how to get from point A to point B along proscribed "roads", and they throw some altitude minima/maxima into the mix (STAR charts will often add a speed limit as well), in order that you stay safely away from other traffic.

For a SID, point A will be the departure runway (at runway alt) and point B will be a navigation point of some description (usually a VOR, but not always) where you can join the en route airways (at or climbing to your cruise alt).

For a STAR, points A and B will both be navigation points of some description. Point A will be some distance away from your target airfield (sometimes at your cruise alt), and point B will be closer to your target airfield (and closer to the ILS intercept alt).

(there will be more...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 07:22:06 pm »
Yep...SIDs and STARs are as Murray says...basically pre-programmed departure and arrival routes to an airfield...allows ATC to ensure that all inbound and outbound traffic is on a specific route and at a specific altitude so they stay out of each others way and ATC doesn't have to keep telling them where togo - i like to think of them as the slip roads on and off motorways at the beginning and end of your journey - SIDS tend to be specific for each runway and can be affected by your desti9nation heading...STARS are not runway specific, just get you close to the airfield from where you will receive vectors to intercept ILS....

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 07:37:27 pm »
"You leave with SID and follow the STARs to get there."
Tim Berry, 2005

EHM-1199 Philip

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 10:45:03 pm »
www.ais.org.uk

Registration is required but is free. This gives you access to all UK charts including SIDS and STARS. Great resource and really worth getting in to.

Best of all it also links out to similar resources for other countries so you can pull down data on SIDS STARS for pretty much anywhere - it is certainly easy to use for most of continental europe.

EHM-1554 Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 10:47:35 pm »
i found www.ais.org.uk very very useful for getting SID/STARS its very simple to use aswell a really good site thanx

EHM-1500 Jim

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 02:20:41 pm »
Where abouts do you find the charts on the ais.org site....i'm logged in but cant find them!!

EHM-1500 Jim

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 02:26:15 pm »
Found them LOL...:>

EHM-1365 Benjamin

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 03:35:12 pm »
Originally posted by Chrisp
i found www.ais.org.uk very very useful for getting SID/STARS its very simple to use aswell a really good site thanx

LOL, I think there are a lot of people who disagree with you there, don't you think Murray ;)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 04:21:49 pm »
Originally posted by EHM-1365
Originally posted by Chrisp
...very simple to use...

LOL, I think there are a lot of people who disagree with you there, don't you think Murray ;)

Ha! (to quote the Arabella Weir character from The Fast Show)

Took me a couple of days to get my brain around the AIS/AIP...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1199 Philip

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 07:14:53 pm »
OK - A brief overview as I agree - when you first visit the site it can be a little daunting.

First, goto:

www.ais.org.uk

(Make sure you get the .uk bit or you will be confused.)

Now, Login. If you haven't already registered, register first - it's free and that part ain't too complicated.

(Why they need a login is beyond me as they do nothing to validate the individual and never send out mailings so it seems a totally unnecessary step.)

Once logged in you will be taken to a screen welcoming you by name in the top right hand corner. Now, click the 'Publications' tab at the top of the screen and the UK AIP option that appears in the drop down list.

Again, in a piece of web design that leaves you bewildered this takes you to a screen with a text link to 'The UK AIP package'. (That's it - a link to the page you just selected!) Click this link.

On the scren that follows, click the following link to the specific aerodrome details.

Now, you get a list of UK aerodromes and the necessary charts. My recommendation is that you begin with a smaller local aerodrome that you know reasonably well. This gives you a huge boost when trying to understand the charts for the first time. If you pick something like EGLL the number of charts is immense (35) and this can make trying to plan your first flight with charts seriously daunting.

I hope this helps a few folks pick their way through the site. When you get to know the site better you will quickly see how to link out to other national sites providing similar information for aerodromes in other countries.

anything