Author Topic: VATSIM vs IVAO  (Read 4198 times)

EHM-1554 Chris

VATSIM vs IVAO
« on: April 06, 2005, 11:13:03 am »
Can somebody tell me why VATSIM and IVAO seem 2 dislike each other so much, why are they always competing with easch other, theres no money involed i dnt think so i cnt get why they compete.

If there were one network imagine how many ATC and pilots there would be lol:P

This wont happen though

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 11:28:02 am »
Hi Chrisp,

This is a very good topic to open. Let's wait to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Regards,

Offline EHM-1555 Kendy

• Climbing
    • Some Flight Videos - and some fun performance
VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:39:26 pm »
Hello @ll,

yes the competition is like Mercedes vs BMW ;o)
but the  main reason is, IVAO and VATSIM, both want to have the most members  for online flying. And it is also a competition N. America vs Europe.
I've been a VATSIM member and there are a lot of pilots and controller in the United States. But thye system even the squawkbox 3.0 isn't close as stable as the IVAP system.
And you have often pc crashes with some servers.
One big point for IVAO is the high average controller availability for Europe, S. America, W.Asia and this in GND, TWR, APP, CTR Control.

Because of these reasons a lot of pilots changed from VATSIM to IVAO (also americans), but a lot of VATSIM users want to use the US-System and they want to stay familiar with it. Also a lot of americans think they have to speak european !!!! because they don't know that the aviation language is english (also european is not a language, but many don't know this), so they keep up the competition against IVAO and Europe ;D

IVAO members: ca. 73K  VATSIM: 45k  average online time: pilots: close the same , Controller: 50 % more at IVAO

For Euroharmony Flights: if you want to fly real virtual online with full ATC on EHM Timetables Flight just join IVAO today !

;):];)

Bye Kendy
EHM-1555

EHM-1343 Jonathan

VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:15:33 pm »
IVAO rules, Vatsim staff are quite abrupt, they expect you to know everything and come equiped with charts for all Airports, but IVAO, the ATC are nice and helpful, they allow you to learn, not feel pressured into doing it all right!

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 07:21:00 pm »
Well, you didn't hear this from me, but... ;D

Rumour has it it's mostly because they both started life as SATCO. There was a big falling out in the way that certain members of the SATCO team wanted things run, one faction wanted to go for ultra-realistic, the other strove for realism but not at the expense of everyone having a good time. I'll leave which faction became which network as an exercise for the reader.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1464 Andrew

VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:48:33 am »
not really a comment about why the two dont get along, and i think this was brought up before and gergely made some good points about it..

i started on vatsim, mainly because it was the most advertised and seemed easier to get started on, it is very proffesional, but ivao can be the same, i learnt on vatsim and have since swapped to mainly using ivao..

u get serious and laid back controllers on either and the main deciding factor for me is if atc is offered in my flying area, and thats somthing i decide just before taking off

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
VATSIM vs IVAO
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 11:15:55 pm »
I have met controllers on both networks who are extremely helpful, and others who get upset if you don't have maps, know airport taxiways etc, although the latter are more common on Vatsim.

I fly on both networks - IVAO in Europe / South africa and Vatsim in the USA - simply because that is who has the most controllers in the different areas.