Author Topic: IMPORTANT IVAO domain name change  (Read 6930 times)

EHM-1617 Iain

IMPORTANT IVAO domain name change
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:13:57 pm »
IVAO has changed it's domain from ivao.org to ivao.aero.

Good luck changing all bookmarks/signatures etc etc ;)

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 04:53:02 pm »
Why has it changed, anyone know?

EHM-1760 Sven

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:13:25 pm »
Update IVAP !!!!! you need version 1.2.1

because the ts server names changed too;)

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:59:15 pm »
I think IVAO chosen a bad time to make this. Basically they want to break the connections record, but now all the pilots need to download the new IVAP ...

They could made it after the crowded skies event ... :{

EHM-1365 Benjamin

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 06:02:45 pm »
Don't go there, Bruno ;)

EHM-1760 Sven

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 06:14:45 pm »
That says IVAO

To All IVAO Members,

SUBJECT: IVAO COUNCIL RE-ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT

Greetings from IVAO! As of November 24, 2005 the Council of IVAO has elected a new President, Mr. Erwin Lion Co-Founder of IVAO, and changed our domain to www.ivao.aero . Our past President, Mr. Morten Hansen, has left this position so that he can pursue other interest.

We, the Council of IVAO, which includes Mr. Erwin Lion – President, Mr. Gustavo Hernandez –Vice President, Mr. Alain Debrouwer – Executive Director, Mr. Allen W. Sindel – Assistant Executive Director, and all of our members, would like to thank Morten for all of his contributions over the years at IVAO and wish him continued success in his future endeavors.

As we move forward into 2006, we expect many challenges and look forward to our members continued support of our continuous expanding virtual aviation network. We are equally excited with the new programs that all of the Senior Staff Departments are developing in the areas of Software, Events, Membership, Training, ATC Operations, and Flight Operations. Truly the next year will bring some very exciting times for all of us at IVAO.

We also realize that by changing the domain registration, that this will cause our Divisions to update their sites to the new URL link and we ask your patience and understanding as we move forward. Likewise, we will be having several meetings at different staff levels to answer any questions that you may have and we look forward to the challenges ahead with your continued support.

Sincerely,

The Council of IVAO
Erwin, Gus, Alain, & Allen         :s

EHM-1617 Iain

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 06:18:57 pm »
Yep, new IvAp, v1.2.1, new IvAc, v1.1.5, but no new IvAe. I have fixed the problem with this software by changing all references to ivao.org in the settings.ini file to ivao.aero, that seemed to work. EDIT: no, it didn't work, IvAe forum says expect a new version soon.

Agree with Bruno, silly time to do it, just before CSIII. I reckon that the chances of breaking the record are severly compromised.

EHM-0001 Gergely

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:48:10 pm »
Yes, it was a very bad time to change it... and will compromise our chances for CS... but there was major trouble and we had no other option... more details coming up later...

New IvAe released too... (0.8.3)

Gergely

EHM-1617 Iain

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:48:27 pm »
OK now there is new IVAP IVAE IVAC IVAI ... all new

from www.ivao.aero/softdev

Offline EHM-1555 Kendy

• Climbing
    • Some Flight Videos - and some fun performance
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 04:45:58 am »
See you all today.....only some click s to update you current IVAP/ IVAC version and if you still using Servinfo,. no problem , Cyriel and I can help you in this one ;o))))))

2030 ZULU (21:30 local Berlin/ Paris) at EGCC so see you at 2000 Zulu in the Manchester Lounge for a drink (non-alcoholic) and around 2230 Zulu in the Berlin Lounge Bar with some german beers or a nice red wine (from Portugal , which has Bruno in his bally :>

regards,

Kendy

EHM-1058 Jörg

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 01:12:41 pm »
Hej Pilots , a question what is with the flightlogger?I have had problems yesterday to send my pirep to ivao. It seems an update is necessary. Or is there a file where i can change the link manually?

Grettings Hardy

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 01:35:10 pm »
Originally posted by Hardy
Hej Pilots , a question what is with the flightlogger?I have had problems yesterday to send my pirep to ivao. It seems an update is necessary. Or is there a file where i can change the link manually?

Grettings Hardy

A basic search of my FLogger install suggests there isn't a simple file to change, so I'm going to guess we need to await an update from Armando (*prod*) :D
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-0744 Alex

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 06:24:24 pm »
(From www.ivao.org)

IVAO.org – The International Virtual Aviation Organization
has been the victim of a coup!

They claim that the council of IVAO has elected a new president.

The Council of IVAO is:
Hq. +
Department Directors and Assistant Directors +
Division Directors and Assistant Directors

There have not been any voting for new president among these council members !

I was a couple of days before a senior-staff meeting I had called for, to try and solve some of the dissatisfaction I was aware of, that there was among some of the staff-members, informed that a clique of senior and non-senior staff members had decided that if I wouldn’t hand over the domain and take the position of Honored President they would leave and start their own network.
Instead – the day before the senior-staff meeting - they removed all my accesses, toke the website, databases and servers and made a duplicate network.

As they have removed my access to a.o. the databases, I am currently not able to provide the services you have been used to – Sorry !
(Looking for legal advisor.....)

Personally I of course have some un-answered questions......
How many of the staff supports these actions ? And how many of the members ?
I have the last days got extremely many e-mails on my private e-mail address.
+700 mails - only 3 of these were negative - again - Thanks for your support !

------------------------------------------

I'm temporarily grounding all my online flights until this is figured out.

Alex

EHM-1281 Cyriel

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 07:20:49 pm »
well I would not rely too much on propaganda if I was you. If this is the case why was ivao.org not working anymore? What kind of person would even if he was removed unvoluentary kill the whole domain so many people use especially before a big event?

I'm not buying it. Looking trough the IVAO forums I see all staff members supporting it. we also smashed the record at CS3 so I guess a lot of members are supporting it as well. So I would not overreact by grounding your online flights.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:12:35 pm »
Well after trawling through hundreds of forum posts regarding the IVAO situation, I am not a lot better off!

I understand that the "Council" booted sorry, Voted Morten out, what we don't know and probably never will, is exactly why. The "Current" IVAO senior staff say he was ruining IVAO and treating it as if it were his own, well we can't have that now can we???? I am sure there will be some further statements from both sides soon.

It would seem that most members don't care so long as they can fly! Why should they? My only fear is that this ends up going legal and that IVAO ends up offline altogether? I hope this doesn't happen.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-0744 Alex

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 08:56:03 pm »
True, I fear IVAO going offline. However it is true that IVAO is this guy's creation, and therefore his property. Giving the users an idea of what was going on would have been a better idea than kicking him out and having HIM tell us the story. I mean, c'mon guys, how can you have this stuff in IVAO? We just want to fly for god's sake. Anyways, I sure hope this doesnt end with IVAO off the net.

EHM-1760 Sven

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 08:56:25 pm »
Why should that happen? I hope  the "Council" (how philnutt wrote it :-) ) understands what the spirit of IVAO is, because I think IVAO become something spezial. I realy like IVAO. I got to know many new friends all over the world with the help of IVAO and Euroharmony. That must be a never ending story;D

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 09:50:41 pm »
Yeah you right Sven, those of us that use it regularly, love it. Unfortunately like everything else these days, it ends in battles and mud slinging because a few people can't get along! If this ended up in a courtroom, while it shouldn't but hey who knows, it may cause IVAO to splinter in to two groups or organisations.

Well I must admit, I used the council term liberaly as a few of the "council" members have admitted that they were not asked to vote..... By that I mean, the IVAO council includes Division Directors who were not all consulted, but that is just what I have read and can't be confirmed.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-0001 Gergely

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 09:23:54 am »
Hello,

please check the topic in the IVAO General forum...

Hi IVAO-members,

Let me just clear out some confusion about recent events, and IVAO’s future.

What happened with Morten?

I really prefer not going into details here. Fact is things became impossible to work with him in those last days. Keeping him as President, there was an imminent threat of losing the major part of senior staff (including key-departments as a whole). So HQ and I had to take responsibilities to ensure the future of IVAO. This by removing Morten from the President position with a 3 to 4 vote in HQ-staff (the very little democracy we currently have at IVAO, and the way all senior staff has been (dis-)appointed up to now), and with the support of all headquarter staff that we were able to contact on short notice). We are still in touch with Morten, and there is still some hope he will be part of the IVAO future.

What are our plans for the near future?

IVAO as non-profit organisation

In the coming weeks a group of people will be formed to form a founders group. Their main task will be to define the statues of IVAO, and register IVAO as non-profit organisation. This group will later become the Council. This Council will then elect their president and other important management functions. They will then be responsible for setting the general policy of IVAO, assigning staff etc. One general principle will be that membership will remain free of charge for everyone, at all times. We hope this NPO will form a more stable and democratic base.

Current staff structure

A draft of a new structure was already shown in our last staff meeting a few days ago. This structure will be further refined and then approved by the Council. The main idea behind is that there will be fewer departments than now, but with more clearly defined teams (and team leaders) and their reponsibilities. Also HQ (up to now, a bit isolated above the departments) will be extended with the departments heads, forming the new daily management of ExCom (Executive Committee)

I can't say more at this moment, but you’ll be informed on our next steps, as soon as possible.

Regards

Erwin, Gus, Alain and Allen

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 10:44:59 am »
Well ...

One this is sure. Things got hot out there ;D..

I am sure everything will be solved out. IVAO will continue. It's a too much big project to stop now. I am sure Morten knows that.

Regards,

EHM-1760 Sven

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 07:53:16 am »
Yes that are good news Maby IVAO can be a bit more democracy in future. So that at least al stuffs or "seniormembers" with more than 1000 hours online are allowed to vote.;D

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 09:47:05 am »
Feh! Political power playing occurs any time groups of people start to work together... It's a big part of human nature. Heck, I'm sure we all know the saying, "Never trust a man that wants to be a politician".

I was a staff member for IVAO-GB for a time, the director and assistant director changed. The ADIR for some reason took a dislike to me, and then I wasn't IVAO-GB staff any more.

It was (and is) all just politics - even EuroHarmony has been afflicted by it on occasion, but thankfully we are still a small enough community that we can very quickly move past it (and Gergely, as El Presidente, rules with an iron fist ;D).

Time will pass and everything (and everyone) will calm down. Then, and only then, should all the parties involved start to talk things over and come to a mutually agreeable arrangement.

:)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 09:47:50 am »
Ooh, this looks like a little kettle of fish waiting to explode!! My problem is that in most well publisised coups there is an obvious "bad" leader who is doing harm and everyone agrees he/she should go - i have been using IVAO for well over a year now and have hundreds of hours and as far as i could see there was no problem and i'm sure most normal users were also unaware of any problems - therefore to suddenly find this has happened and people are saying there were so many problems i find a bit strange...i'm sure if we were all made aware of the REAL problems before this happened then there would be less resentm,ent?? Maybe it's just me.....anyway, as long as the day to day ATC and pilots are as helpful as ever then long may it continue. Happy landings, Jim

EHM-0001 Gergely

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 10:28:04 am »
Hi Jim,

I think the problems are much smaller as some people think or describe it.

All that happened that a HQ member, Mr Hansen, was asked to leave his position to prevent harm and ensure IVAO's future. Keeping him as President would have caused a large part of the senior staff to leave IVAO, including the Software Department (leaving IVAO without software), because of Mr Hansen's attitude.

The problems started a long time ago, but of course they weren't publicized to members and the rest of senior staff tried to resolve it by talks and discussions. Only when everything failed, we proceeded to this step.

Saying that an IVAO staff position is about power, and some people wanted more power, is not true, because a staff position is solely about volunteer work, to give the best services to members, without any rewad, in your free time. I think 95% of IVAO users don't know who leads IVAO, who wrote IvAc etc.

And not much harm was done to IVAO, if you look at servinfo, there are still the same amount of people online.

Gergely

anything