Author Topic: June Fly-in event  (Read 8501 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:33:50 pm »
Apologies to all our (online) pilots, due to an oversight on my part I have omitted to organise an official event for June.

So, to correct this I am intending to have a VFR event in the Alps that will take place over both days of the coming weekend. 1200Z on Saturday (weather permitting), we'll fly from St Etienne [LFMH] in the French Alps across to Belp [LSZB] in the Swiss Alps. I'm sure you'll all agree that this will give us an opportunity to terrain track and have a good time.

Then 1200Z on Sunday (mostly for those of you that can't participate on Saturday, but all are welcome) we'll return to St Etienne from Belp.

According to FSNav it shouldn't take us much longer than an hour, but that does of course not allow for wiggly terrain following and weather.

Given the short notice, I'm not going to have time to produce a pre-event page up to my usual standards, but there will definitely be a post-event page.

Discuss?
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1343 Jonathan

June Fly-in event
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:00:14 pm »
Nice...im up for it...Conrad and I are pro's at alpine flying, cant wait for it!

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
June Fly-in event
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 11:30:48 pm »
Sorry guys, working this weekend but have fun without me :P
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:09 am »
Forgot to mention it in the original post, but the time estimates are for a Cessna 182... If you're going to fly the Baron or the other twin, expect to finish a lot quicker obviously...

And Matt/Ben/Javier - perfect opportunity to fly online with lots of EHM pilots in a very relaxed atmosphere... I noticed on our first VFR event earlier in the year that those of us that ordinarily take these things very seriously had a chance to kick back and "let it happen"...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1821 Javier

June Fly-in event
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 09:33:56 am »
i'll try to make it on Saturday and Sunday.
12 + 8 = 20.00
           = 8 pm

8pm + 1 = 9pm

yay! i can make it;D

I'll be happy if the flight is all on UNICOM;D

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
June Fly-in event
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 10:12:22 am »
Dont' forget that now we have a Teamspeak server.
All of our pilots can use it also.

Regards,

EHM-1671 Ben

June Fly-in event
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 10:40:06 am »
Aarrgghh, sorry guys! I can't make it on Saturday since there is a big school production on... and 1200Z is about 11PM in New Zealand! Sunday night is a maybe, we'll just have to see if I have the energy to stay up until then. By that time it'll be the holidays (yay!!) so I don't have to get up early on Monday. I'm sure it will be a great experience.... my first online event.

EHM-1821 Javier

June Fly-in event
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 10:48:12 am »
will there be any ATC on the 2 days?

havent used voice communications yet:[ so im hoping for an entire flight UNICOM

EHM-1343 Jonathan

June Fly-in event
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 11:41:29 am »
Its much more fun with ATC...and because its in france and switzerland, I would assume there would be some ATC...

EHM-1821 Javier

June Fly-in event
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 01:10:53 pm »
ah crud, just remembered that i got something on on Saturday:@

I arrive back in school about 1130z, but there may be delays.      Anyone willing to wait a half an hour or more for me?:%

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
June Fly-in event
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 04:31:49 pm »
On both days, I can make 12:00z, and Javier, I'll wait for you!

EHM-1821 Javier

June Fly-in event
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 06:23:40 am »
Forget waiting for me, Matt.

My school principal just said that the departure back to school would be delayed till 8:30 pm (1230z) and i can only start my computer at 10:00pm (1400z).

Good news is, since for me, Monday is a holiday, i have no school;D;D;D

Who wants to make a return trip with me back to LSZB again after landing at LMFH on Sunday:%

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 12:13:38 pm »
Re: ATC - that time of day and in that part of Europe, I'd be surprised if there's "big" ATC for us (APP or higher). Of course, one of the big benefits of flying VFR is officially, other than at take-off, approach/landing and airspace interdiction, we don't need to talk to ATC unless we want/need radar following. ;)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

June Fly-in event
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:43:23 am »
Sorry guys....working weekend of night shifts for our delightful, if poor, NHS so will be in bed all day saturday and sunday catchin up on beauty sleep. Have a good one, Jim

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
June Fly-in event
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 07:24:44 am »
go NHS!

I'm sad to hear you can't make it. I can't make the saturday, and maybe the sunday, because I'm the leader of the Orchestra in a production of the musical Oliver. I did one performance last night, and I was really angry, because I did 8 solos, and then some guy came up and was giving a speech about how great the actors were, then he said "lets all give a big round to our soloist!" and he pointed at someone else! He stole my glory! I've got two more nights, and I told him that was wrong, but if he does it again, I'll stand up with them!

EHM-1343 Jonathan

June Fly-in event
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 10:23:35 am »
ok...moving back on topic...if i can get all of missions uploaded and sorted out without any problemos, i should be there!

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 10:40:29 am »
Then best of luck J... ;D
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 11:38:53 am »
Just checking the METAR right now in ASV, it's looking like a great day to be VFR in France/Switzerland... Little bit of cloud, great visibility and feck all wind.

And as a reminder for those of you that have problems going from Zulu to "real" time - 1200Z is 1300 UK summertime, 1400 continental summertime...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 02:41:04 pm »
Having just landed, here's my report for "part #1". I had Fraps running in "grab every 60 secs" screenshot mode, so I have a bucket-load of screenies to go through... But that's on my big PC and the TdF is now on on EuroSport (so it'll have a wait for a wee while...)

PIREP - LFMH to LSZB

Took my Spitfire up to give my VFR procedures a real test - being a pre-war prototype it hasn't got an AP at all so heading and altitude are down to my ability and not a computer.

METAR in France was absolutely lovely; very little wind or cloud and superb visibilty. I was joined at take-off by Iain Butler (EHM1617). He was planning to go via radio nav, a series of 40nm(ish) VOR/NDB hops; I on the other hand intended to go compass direct, using a couple of VORs just to keep me close to the line.

Come 1205Z, it was clear that it was only going to be the two of us, so I let Iain have first dibs on the rwy. His take-off and circuit looked just about perfect from the ground (I was a little slow getting the Merlin fired up, forgot to prime the carbs) but Iain was still visible as I departed in the circuit. I followed Iain for a bit, but then he vanished: I think he had a PC crash, as he didn't come back for the hour I was in the air.

Leaving the circuit myself, I executed my turn onto cruise heading and began a slow climb (500-700fpm...) to nominal cruise alt - 9,500ft. I ended up using FSNav for moving map as the compass on the Spit model appeared to be ignoring me. I got some great views while over France, hardly a cloud the whole way from St Etienne to the border/Geneva, then the cloud started to build.

Finally, I had Belp in sight and got the benefit of a tower controller. Unfortunately, he was having trouble hearing me, and I was having problems hearing him (I think he was using a desk mic...) so my LH circuit got cut a little short when he vectored me. Landing/taxiing was exciting, as it alway is in a tail dragger, but once the tail was down things got a little easier.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1821 Javier

June Fly-in event
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 03:02:31 pm »
Hey guys,  only back home now, so how did the flight go?

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 03:40:46 pm »
Again, I have a bucket-load of screenies to go through after the TdF coverage on Eurosport, but here's the Part 2 report:-

PIREP - LSZB to LFMH

The flight back to St Etienne wasn't too bad. Participants were myself, Razza (EHM1343) and in his first online event, Javier (EHM1821).

Things started a little badly for Razza and I. We were both on voice, but the tower controller was having no luck whatsoever (he could hear but not transmit). And poor Javier was forced to run text-only. Any way, after a lot of faffing around, we all got into the air and Javier was given the lead (Razza was flying orbits waiting for Javier and I to get into the air, I took off last to make sure Javier was "happy")

We tracked pretty much direct, and I'm hoping I got a screeny or two of the shenanigans we got up to before entering LFMM CTA (who was online) Did either of you two see me inverting "over" Javier...? ;)

METAR wise, it was almost the opposite of the previous day; not too cloudy in Switzerland, very cloudy in France.

Descent and approach went well for Razza and I, but Javier wasn't really prepared for a CTR controller that only had voice, so Razza coached him through the circuit as I was landing. We all got down safely though.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1343 Jonathan

June Fly-in event
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 03:54:42 pm »
Yup, thanks murray was a great event, and with a few more of those beautiful EHM Birds in the skies above Switzerland and France.

Special congratulations to Javier, after messing up to left hand circuit entry, he made a nice right hand circuit before landing sweetly on the tarmac.

Another smashin' event MC...hopefully we can get it advertisied a bit more next time.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
June Fly-in event
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 07:39:46 pm »
Yup, will definitely be trying to announce with a lot more notice.

And in one of those "ARSEFLAPS!" moments, despite my turning on Fraps (and I am sure I started the d**n screenshot mode) I didn't get a single screeny from the second fly-in. Not happy :(
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
June Fly-in event
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 08:45:50 pm »
I am so sad I couldn't make it. While you were all having fun, at exactly the same time, I was in a pit, playing the violin:@

Javier, had did it feel using VFR instead then?

EHM-1671 Ben

June Fly-in event
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 10:16:57 pm »
Haha, yes, last night you were with me on MSN putting up with my little emotional moment ;)

anything