Author Topic: forum discipline  (Read 5916 times)

Offline EHM-0361 Karsten

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:04:33 pm »
Let me start by saying, I know that I'm going to sound like a grumpy old man. I'm going to try to say this in a way so I don' t step on anyones toes. I have to main messages I want to formulate. In short it has to do with forum disiplin, I know disiplin is an awfull word for many people. My first message is aimed at all of us 'normal' uses. Before you post something ask youself, is this something that others will be able to use. If not then perhaps I should contact my Hub Captain or someone else in the MT that has to do with this. Try to search the forum, there is a chance that someone might have asked this question before. If I post something, am I posting it the right place. I mean as an eksempel don't post a question about online flying in the main forum. Just an eksempel not sure anyone would do that. If you post answer, then keep to the subject. I mean don't turn a question about an aircraft model into a question about female supermodels.

edit: I have choosen to remove the part about the MT. It seems like thats the part people like to comment on, and that sort of remove the focus from the main idea of this posting.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:27:53 pm »
Hi,

I appreciate your sensibilization words regarding to forum post behaviours. But, I think that we don't have that problem here.
We try to solve all the problems that our forum users post, and if can't solve it immediately, we say that we are working on it (which is very true).

Right now we have 4 web developers + 1 Flight Logger developer that can handle urgent situations (or not). So, what we do is to solve everyone's problem, but I can also apologize if we, in the past "lost" a pilot complaint situation ...

If so, what I suggest to the pilot, is to re-submit the topic, so, we can apologize and put that problem on our list.

Right now we don't have many problems to solve. The biggest one resides on the Flight Logger and me and Armando are working on it right now.

About the forum discipline, I agree, and we are already taking measures for it. In this case, one MT member is writing the forum rules so we can post them as soon as they are finished and aproved.

I really appreciate your sensible post about it, but, actually, and with the current pilot community that we have here on our VA, it's very difficult to have a topic as that because we would not delay the pilot's problem so he could be so angry to tell that :).

Regarding to MT forum actions, I think we now have the most active MT team on the forum ever. All the MT is specially dedicated to come to the forum and try to solve out and explain all the pilot's doubts and problems.

Regards,

Offline EHM-0361 Karsten

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:20:38 pm »
Okay, boss. you don't think we have a problem, then I guess we don't. But guess that's just another thing we don't agree on. So let's just leave it at that

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:01:48 pm »
Hi,

I really don't think because our pilots are not giving us reasons for that and we also know that we are doing the best that we can.

We solve pilot's problems everyday, by email, on the forum, even by U2U messages, and all the MT is willing to give their best everyday. For now, we cannot ask more than that.

But, again, if you feel kind'a annoyed by any situation, just send me an email. I will look at it ;) .

Regards,

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
forum discipline
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:54:22 pm »
Karsten,

It was a good idea for you to raise your concerns on the Forum but Bruno has answered your post and taken your comments on board (and very quickly too!) so I don't think your second post is very helpful.

I for one think the MT do a really good job answering queries and helping pilots and that any delays that do occur are going to be down to the fact that this is their hobby (like it is yours and mine) - it's not their job! ;)

Sure it can be frustrating waiting for a reply from time to time but these guys give their time and effort for free and nobody has to pay anything to be a member...

Just remember it's a hobby!! :P
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

EHM-1366 Themis

forum discipline
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 05:13:13 pm »
I 'll add to that. Personally whenever I had raised a question I almost immediately had received a response, even from the Management and/or from other people in this forum. I think the guys don't deserve the comments by that fellow (I don't know his name), we all have lifes outside this hobby.
Sincerely, one of the reasons I stayed with this VA is the very "humane" and friendly MT it has.

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:32:43 pm »
As towards the member bit, I think it's hard to define what to do, as such as when I was doing online lessons. I had permission, I never recieved any U2U's, and I never read a forum post telling me that I shouldn't be doing it, and when I asked for proof, nobody gave it to me, so the only thing I can assume then is (I don't like saying this) but you guys were lying, and that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

this MT is brilliant, and I love this airline, and I don't know whether you lied or not, and I'm going to assume you didn't considering how good you are to this website, but that's the kind of thing that worked.

If anyone wants to know, I have a story to tell, which will show what a bad manager is:

I used to be an owner of a website. I went through a star wars time before I got interested in flying. Here is the link to the website (here is the link to the website)http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_sith_empire/index.php?act=idx
It is now empty

You might now think the reason it's empty is because I was a bad manager, but actually, it was the opposite. There was another kid running it along side me called Todd.

Here is what happend. The website went extremely popular, and I was in charge of it. I wasn't the one who originally made the website, Todd did that. He was the root admin, but I made that skin, I made the forums, and he didn't do much at all. it got too popular, and he wanted the site to himself. there were 400 members. He said I was trying to take over the site, and then banned me. Loads of people wanted me back, so then he deleted their accounts, which is why it is so low. Then, the website was lost. Nobody liked it anymore, so then he asked me to come back and make it. I said no, he then went off and built another website, which is the link on the front page. I then created another website called Soldier Side (lost the link) and the reason why I lost the link was because I left. I got into flying more.

So there's your bad managing. Wanted the site to himself, got rid of good people, and then got rid of people who didn't like him.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:47:20 pm »
Hi,

We don't lie Matt. In fact, I sent you a U2U message saying that you couldn't teach by yourself.
Unfortunately the sent U2U messages don't get recorded on my box, so, the only way to prove it is by going on the database and retrieving it.

Also, you got many posts on the MT saying that you couldn't do it, specially by me. So, don't ever tell us again that we are lying because definately you got warned.

You tell there that you had permission. So, give me the name of the MT person who has authorized you to teach under the EHM signature, if you have it.

To end this sad topic, here is your topic asking us if you can teach ehm pilots:
http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2753

On the next day, I sent you clear answer. Is written there.
So, stop, once and for all, saying that we are lying or saying that we never readt an answer regarding that.

Edit by Razza - I also had an MSN coversation with you about it

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 06:01:52 pm »
Bruno, I didn't say that you "were" lying, I said that it was possible, but In the end, I decided not to.

The person who gave me permission was Murray Crane, but I didn't get it direct. Javier told me that he gave us permission, so I'm sorry.

Also, I'm really sorry about this whole matter. If you look at that post, I replied 1 minute after, so I think I completely missed it, so therefore, it was my own stupidity.

Please don't warn me, because I didn't say you were lyers, because you're not, but you might as well warn me anyway, considering that I've been breaking the rules. (I just want to add I don't normally do this, so once again, I'm sorry)

Besides, Lying is a strong word, And I didn't mean it in the way it sounds.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 06:04:34 pm »
... Also, i think that your example doesn't bring any type of enrichment on the conversation.
Where are you trying to get ? What are you trying to say ? That if you leave, more will leave with you ?
Please Matt, spare us with that type of insinuations. If you want to leave, then please, leave and stop threating us.

Regards,

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 06:10:09 pm »
I don't want to leave
I'm not threatening (I'm sorry if I sounded like it)
I wanted to teach, I have no problem with not teaching
I'm not trying to say anything
I acted stupid
It's a stupid matter
I'm sorry
The story was stupid
overall, I'm sorry

can you forgive me?

EHM-1343 Jonathan

forum discipline
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 09:52:42 pm »
Ok..I think we have all just got to calm down a bit....
The EuroHarmony Management team welcome comments and ideas, and we are very proud of the interaction between pilots and the MT...

I think we (MT) all do a great job to keep the VA running and expanding at a good rate, and without the sustained hard work and effort im very sure this VA would start a rapid decline before becoming just another VA.....

For all of our hard work, im sure you guys can respect that our decisions are final...
We consider fully any plans before implementation, and encourage Pilot input for improvements....but everyone likes something a little different, so we cant please everyone..

I personally beleive problems stem when people go creating threads with negative comments about the VA...These start debates, and end up with people saying something stupid, I think we should keep the Forum upbeat and welcoming, which is the true EuroHarmony Spirit, We want to share happy things and enjoy the FS experience together.

If for some strange reason you do have a negative comment, give us an Email or a U2U, and the MT will be more than happy to discuss it with you and try and come to a solution...

EHM-1328 Willem

forum discipline
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 11:15:28 pm »
Hello  everybody,

I observe a lot off topics on EHM forum and this topic forum discipline has my special attention.

First all the reactions on this topic aren’t on his place because Bruno answered in his reply the most of it.

The last reply from Matt is total out off order and on Bruno's last reply I agree.

Remember this topic started about forum discipline by the normal forum users, Merlin made a mistake by starting with users and switched  over to the MT behaviour  see quote 3 an 4.

But I heard now one about the first part (besides Bruno in his reply) and I agree with Merlin his concern about not following these rules by a lot off users on this forum.

I put these points here again (with a little editing).

In short it has to do with forum discipline; I know discipline is an awful word for many people.  My first message is aimed at all of us 'normal' uses.

-1-
Before you post something ask yourself, is this something that others will be able to use. If not then perhaps I should contact my Hub Captain or someone else in the MT that has to do with this.

-2-
Try to search the forum, there is a chance that someone might have asked this question before.

-3-
If you post something,  posting it the right place. I mean as an example don't post a question about online flying in the main forum. Just an example not sure anyone would do that.

-4-
If you reply to answer, then keep to the subject. I mean don't turn a question about an aircraft model into a question about female supermodels.

And remember there are Board Rules http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/faq.php?page=forumrules.

Oh and if you don’t know, you can edit your own reply on topic, you can also delete it. (in case you attack a person(s) by example).

And at last read the last alinea from Razza's reply.

Best Regards, Willem EHM1328.

And MT Keep up the good work , and everyone else happy flying/controlling have FUN.

EHM-1821 Javier

forum discipline
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 08:29:18 am »
In the thread which i asked for online flying training(who is willing to...)
Originally posted by Murray Crane

BTW, Javier/Matt... If you guys want to arrange a mutually agreeable time for a "chat" about online flying, I'll see if I can be there too to offer assistance/advice.

This was my fault, i didnt read it closely and i thought  that we have the all go to have a training session.

With all respect to Bruno,
Originaly posted by bfalcao

So, stop, once and for all, saying that we are lying or saying that we never readt an answer regarding that.

Matt only said it once and he apologised for it later on:
Originally posted be EHM-1883

Also, I'm really sorry about this whole matter. If you look at that post, I replied 1 minute after, so I think I completely missed it, so therefore, it was my own stupidity.
Please don't warn me, because I didn't say you were lyers, because you're not, but you might as well warn me anyway, considering that I've been breaking the rules. (I just want to add I don't normally do this, so once again, I'm sorry)Besides, Lying is a strong word, And I didn't mean it in the way it sounds.

and
also posted by EHM-1883

I don't want to leave
I'm not threatening (I'm sorry if I sounded like it)
I wanted to teach, I have no problem with not teaching
I'm not trying to say anything
I acted stupid
It's a stupid matter
I'm sorry
The story was stupid
overall, I'm sorry

can you forgive me?

Matt has admitted his mistake and has even asked for forgiveness.

and as Razza said,
Originally poseted by Razza

I personally beleive problems stem when people go creating threads with negative comments about the VA...These start debates, and end up with people saying something stupid, I think we should keep the Forum upbeat and welcoming, which is the true EuroHarmony Spirit, We want to share happy things and enjoy the FS experience together.

I agree too.

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 09:50:14 am »
Hi (Matt),

It's not a question of forgiveness.
It's a question of thinking before writing and not write while thinking.

To forgive you, you must do 10 flights on ProPilot on a Boeing 777 in visual and manual controlling, from LGAV to Sydney, with non stop (only for refuelling) and get 0 penalties on every flight.
Then, if you accomplish that, I will think about your case :8 ...

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
forum discipline
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 11:10:23 am »
I'll start working on it straight away lol!

EHM-1500 Jim

forum discipline
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 10:35:37 pm »
Just to give my thoughts....i have no problem with the management, infact i think they are fantastic and when ever i have had a problem it has been sorted or replied to with out delay. We all have to realise that people have lives outside flight sim (well most of us anyway?!) and so there will be a natural delay in some replies until people check the forums. Keep up the excellent work and i hope this forum doesn't start to get abused like other forums i have been involved with in the past. jim

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
forum discipline
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 10:58:33 pm »
Never Jim.

Our EHM community is so healthy that it's almost impossible that our members start changing their minds and abusing.

We also have a very strong and close MT that shows unity and friendship. This is very important, and is reflected on our pilot's behaviour.

Regards and don't be worried about that ;) ...

anything