Author Topic: how to be a controller  (Read 8059 times)

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« on: July 06, 2004, 08:58:46 pm »
The past few days I have been looking into being an ATc controller. I installed ivac from IVAO, downloaded som sector files and looked with the other controllers a few times. I think I kind of understand how it works. My question is how can you be a real controller? Are there some special small airports where you can practice? And then you log on and just start? or do you have to ask for permission somewhere?

Offline EHM-0962 Zhen Yi

• Martian transfer
how to be a controller
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:46:03 am »
I think you'll have to sign up with IVAO and apply or something for a controller position......there should be places for you to practice and learn......not too clear about this......lets wait for someone else to reply......
Singapore vACC Controller (S1)
Clearance Delivery Training

EHM-0001 Gergely

how to be a controller
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:54:12 am »
Just register and you can control!

If you are in an Active IVAO division, it's advisable to log on as GND, TWR until you're at least a S3... check the site of your division to learn what are the facility rating assignments... if I remember correctly you're from NL, so go to www.ivao.org/nl and check there or mail the NL ATC Ops Director.

Gergely

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
how to be a controller
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 04:42:48 pm »
JUst one tip (well two)-
Read the IVAO instruction pack and pick a small airport not a big one like EHAM, EGLL would be good. Oh and pick ground, its not very hard.

And if you have problems...ask someone with a high rank.

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 05:49:52 pm »
I will indeed start somewhere with ground.

One more question I have is how can I display SID and STAR's in the ivac software? When I download some sector files from Ivao and pres the SID or STAR button nothing happens. I looked throufh a lot of documentation and manuals but can not find it anywhere.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
how to be a controller
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 06:45:26 pm »
Originally posted by cyriel
I will indeed start somewhere with ground.

One more question I have is how can I display SID and STAR's in the ivac software? When I download some sector files from Ivao and pres the SID or STAR button nothing happens. I looked throufh a lot of documentation and manuals but can not find it anywhere.

Can be confusing (even if you do RTFM...) :D

Hold down shift when you click the SID (or STAR) button, this will bring up a list of all the SIDs (or STARs) in teh sector file you've got, then just highlight the SIDs (or STARs) you want to turn on...

This SHIFTed button click works on a number of the other buttons too...

And BTW, we in IVAO-GB are happy to welcome student controllers from any division...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 08:53:47 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I wil try to start shortly. I'll mail to the dutch division guy's or look around at the UK site. Any more tips are alwyas welcome

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
how to be a controller
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 09:51:24 pm »
Originally posted by Murray CraneAnd BTW, we in IVAO-GB are happy to welcome student controllers from any division...

Thats very true. They help me all the time. A the team work is great.;D

EHM-0240 Joe

how to be a controller
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 06:21:46 pm »
I tried to have a go at controlling today. I decided to try on IVAO as it seems you need to apply on VATSIM. The thing is I can't work out what to do. I have tried using both Pro Controller and IVAC and I have downloaded the EGBB sector file because I wanted to try to control Birmingham Ground.

I have read the Instruction pack and tutorials from IVAO-GB but I still don't have a clue where to start. I have managed to connect and I can see myself with a little ground symbol on ServInfo, but my frequency is permanently 199.99 and I can't work out how to change my ATIS. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or where I can find a decent tutorial?

The instruction pack on IVAO relates to Pro Controller, so this doesn't help if I use IVAC. And the IVAC manual doesnt really explain how to use it, it just explains how to change the display settings.

EHM-0744 Alex

how to be a controller
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 07:58:22 pm »
Put //XXX.XX to change the frequency, where X=a number. IvAc comes w/ a much more informative manual than PRo Controller, so I recommend you that mostly bcause it is easy to find anything in the Manual. As for the manual, the display settings are only the first chapter :), try reading on, it is boring but it helps understand a lot, believe me, also try going on as a Ground or Delivery Clearance w/ someone else as TWR or APP, and ask them questions, they will help no doubt about that (Dont do it when they are very busy though, that kind of distracts).

Anyway, today I controlled Malaga for about 3 hours, I also had LEMG_APP most of the way helping me out (I was TWR), and when you talk to other pilots u can meet a new friend evreyday, (I met 2 today), even helped a pilot that was having troubles w/ seeing other planes, the same thing had happened to me so I helped him out, very friendly people out there.

Cheers,

Alex;)

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 09:31:27 pm »
I also tried a few times lately. I did eheh ground. I was online for 3 hours total but nobody goes to this airport as it is to small. All positions at eham are always taken. One evening I wanted to move to egll but had no time. Maybe we should organize an eveing for newbie controllers? put somebody with experience on approach and let the rest take turns on ground and tower or something like that? Maybe Graham Murray or
Gregerly could help out?

At least I would defenitly join if I have time.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
how to be a controller
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 12:25:40 pm »
Originally posted by Joe Darby
... I have managed to connect and I can see myself with a little ground symbol on ServInfo, but my frequency is permanently 199.99 and I can't work out how to change my ATIS. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or where I can find a decent tutorial.

Joe,

Apologies for the delay in replying... been away on holiday and work have me too darn busy at the minute.

As Alex rightly points out, you use //XXX.XX in the CommBox to set a frequency. Set your leftmost commbox window frequency to EGBB_GND [121.8], and that becomes your "COMM1" (as it were...).  The other two (per default) commbox windows (other than the named ones) are there so you can monitor other facilities.

To set your ATIS, click the ATIS button on the button bar.

For all you student controllers (and aren't we all students, at the end of the day) I have a series of webpages I started writing when I was working upto and through my IVAO C1 exam - http://webmail.liquidthinking.co.uk/~murray/euroharmony/training.html

It's ProCon-centric (that's what was "current" when I did the pages) but thanks to the kind assistance of Ian Botham (EHM's EGLL hub chief, and a training bigwig for IVAO-GB) it does contain plenty of pictures from IVAC (that all need redoing now that IVAC has been released).
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-0641 Rico

how to be a controller
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 12:00:13 am »
Originally posted by cyriel
....... All positions at eham are always taken...... Maybe we should organize an eveing for newbie controllers?......Maybe Graham Murray or Gregerly could help out?

At least I would defenitly join if I have time.

1) EHAM is a very busy airport on IVAO. that's why you always have ATC over there. you should check your time zone against local EHAM time zone, and see wich hour fits best, cuz during local daylight you will mostly find the locals online as ATC.

2) I don't think Gergely or Murray can be much of help here, cuz such event are to be organised by the division staff of the selected airport.

3) What I can do by myself to help you aout is this: I'm mostly online as ATC between 1400 and 0200 UTC, at EHAM, either as GND or as DEL.

If you want, when I'm online, I can switch positions with you. I will switch to observer, and let you take my place. I will stay on the channel with you, and let you do the ATC, and guide you through the proces when neccesary.

This way you can learn how to be controller at EHAM, and I can help you out as an more experienced controller at EHAM.

Note: Of course this does not only count for Cyriel, but for any other person on this forum whom would like to get more aquainted with online ATC.

Regards and happy flying,

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 07:08:41 am »
Lately I'm doing control as EGLL_GND. The people there are also a great help. They even have send me some great sector files.

So far it is going well I'm almost at S2

Anonymous

how to be a controller
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 09:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe Darby
I tried to have a go at controlling today. I decided to try on IVAO as it seems you need to apply on VATSIM. The thing is I can't work out what to do. I have tried using both Pro Controller and IVAC and I have downloaded the EGBB sector file because I wanted to try to control Birmingham Ground.

I have read the Instruction pack and tutorials from IVAO-GB but I still don't have a clue where to start. I have managed to connect and I can see myself with a little ground symbol on ServInfo, but my frequency is permanently 199.99 and I can't work out how to change my ATIS. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or where I can find a decent tutorial?

The instruction pack on IVAO relates to Pro Controller, so this doesn't help if I use IVAC. And the IVAC manual doesnt really explain how to use it, it just explains how to change the display settings.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
how to be a controller
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 12:02:47 pm »
Hmm... think I might rewrite my training page(s) to include a basic IvAc usage guide...

/me fires up IvAc and HTML-kit and gets to work...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1281 Cyriel

how to be a controller
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 09:22:38 pm »
Good plan Murray!!! We do need more ATC. I just came from controlling egss and it was absolute mayham ( not sure about this spelling) there because of the ivao worldtour. We needed at least two more ATC there ( GND and DEL)

EHM-1365 Benjamin

how to be a controller
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 06:22:53 pm »
After I had finally got sorted as APP (it was a nearly impossible task of taking over from another controller) It was fantastic, so much traffic, was great. However there was a time when I had no tower and that was not much fun, about 10 a/c in there AND controlling the 10 on the ground :! .
That was why I asked Cyriel to come on as TWR, and I don't blame him for giving up, was manic and obviously not much fun.

But apart from the time without the tower, it was great.;D

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
how to be a controller
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 07:38:37 pm »
Originally posted by Murray Crane
Hmm... think I might rewrite my training page(s) to include a basic IvAc usage guide...

/me fires up IvAc and HTML-kit and gets to work...
OK, so I lied a little... I didn't get started on it until the next day, and I've not had a lot of time to devote to it (gonna have a further blast at it tonight...) but I have the little bit I have done so far at:

http://lbjp.homeunix.org/~murray/training/ivac.html

It's very early BETA. None of the links to the downloads are in there yet, but I've started integrating the screenshots. Oh, and don't bother bookmarking it yet as I'll be moving it into my "production tree" real soon, I'm just working on it from my homedir until Samba sorts it's life out and lets me work on the htdocs root directly...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Anonymous

how to be a controller
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 08:47:46 pm »
I need to get back into ATC...

I think I will do EGCC_TWR at the weekend.

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
how to be a controller
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 08:58:20 pm »
Oppps.... Forgot to log in after clearing my cache...:%

EHM-1365 Benjamin

how to be a controller
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 10:08:21 pm »
If I see you there, i will try and fly ;D

anything