Author Topic: Weather in FSX  (Read 4022 times)

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Weather in FSX
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:09:11 pm »
I have been trying FSX again but I an thinking on giving up with it as I cannot get any satisfaction with the weather, I have used AS 6.5, AS advanced and now AS Evolution even used Real world weather from Jefferson all with the same results, overspeeds due to crazy wind shifts, I have even used the wind smoothing in FSUIPC with no success, the only successful flight was when I setup the weather using user defined weather which is not the best way (not realistic). Has anyone had any success with the weather in FSX, I believe the same issue exists with the REX software. I don't know if this is a simconnect issue or the weather engine in FSX as all the weather programmes work fine in FS9.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:35:24 pm by EHM-1570 Bruce »
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Re: Weather in FSX
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:03 pm »
As an FSX flyer, I can sympathise Bruce. The only fix I personally have found is to set really "heavy" smoothing in FSUIPC, so the changes happen so slowly that the overspeed can't happen. Combined with Active Sky Advanced's smoothing (haven't tried the new one yet), this has pretty much stopped overspeed problems (not all, but the vast majority...)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
Re: Weather in FSX
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:13 pm »
Hi Bruce,

Agree with you, the FSX weatherengine is pretty bad. And since it forms the basis, even a good piece of software like ActiveSky (in combination even with the legendary masterpiece FSUIPC) does not seem to be able to control it completely. Also for me one of the main reasons why i keep on coming back to FS9: just can't seem to become friends with FSX even though i really do try from time to time. So you see: you're not alone...  :(

Are you aware that beside that strange forum on the Hifisim website, they also maintain an 'unofficial forum' down on Avsim? Perhaps you can have a look there and you may find some hints and tips from other users (in my opinion it seems like the users gathering on the ActiveSky Avsim forum are more the 'die-hards' then those on the Hifisim website-forum, but that is my personal feeling)

Following two threads i would want to draw your attention to:

Regarding the windshifts in FSX (statement from Hifisim):
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=279181

About the wacky TAT issue which FSX also displays (this guy really put some effort in getting to the bottom of it all! Worth reading and great tenacity):
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=270839

Guess this weather issue in FSX is something we'll unfortunately have to live with...  :(

Cheers,
Stef
EHM-1242
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."

anything