Author Topic: FSNAV  (Read 11810 times)

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
FSNAV
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »
Hello,

As probably a number of you experienced, FSNAV is not maintained anymore. However, is it still possible to try and buy the version which used to work in the past? I found this tool very useful and comprehensive! Any input is appreciated, thank you!
Giian

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: FSNAV
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:20 pm »
I switched to Flightsim Commander: http://www.fscommander.com/

I now use it with x-plane as well.
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 04:25:34 am »
FSCommander is an excellent tool. I recommend it without reserves. The only feature I miss from FSNav is that FSC doesn't supply info on terrain heights (it is in my wish list for them). However, they have the VFR MEA displayed if you request that feature. Last version is 8.6

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:26 pm »
Thks, I'll try to use it!

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:39:51 pm »
Hi Gian, if you is not in a hurry you can waiting the next better version 9.0 before Christmas http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=80669&sid=eb3fb27854e20a7a805d0a96b0940ab0
For me the FSC8.6 is very useful  ;)

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:06:35 am »
Hi Gian, if you is not in a hurry you can waiting the next better version 9.0 before Christmas http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=80669&sid=eb3fb27854e20a7a805d0a96b0940ab0
For me the FSC8.6 is very useful  ;)

Thks David....I think I can wait for the next version ;)

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:34:21 am »
Since the Wild PP event is going VFR, I'd just like to mention Plan-G, which is a good VFR planning tool and also a great 'moving map / GPS' that uses the data from FS (9 or X) itself overlayed on Google maps.

FEATURES
Google Maps interface for rich topographical and satellite detail
Shows airspace, airports and navaids on the map (from Flight Sim data)
Configurable levels of detail (objects displayed) for each zoom setting
Vertical Route (requires additional DEM download)
Fully editable plans can be saved in FSX or FS9 format
Existing FS plans can be loaded
Reverse flight plan at the click of the mouse
Print map and Pilot’s Log (PLOG)
Customisable database of user waypoints, Visual Reference Points (VRPs), airstrips etc. Additional User Waypoint comma separated text files can be imported.
Connects to FSX or FS9
Aircraft telemetry, aircraft flight trails, traffic, weather etc available when connected to FSX or FS9
Saved flight trails can be displayed for later analysis
Configurable Range Rings can show distance or flight time
Can be run on a second monitor or on a networked PC.

All available for free/donation...  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:29:14 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »
That sounds like a great tool Ragnar, thanks for sharing the details. I've edited your post just to make the hyperlink more obvious (as I didn't realise there was one at first!)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:30:05 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:19:26 am »
Ragnar, great looking tool. Only thing I can't figure out is how to make a flight plan with it. ;D
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:50 am »
Sorry, missed this for a few days - if you haven't figured it out yet - or for others - after importing your data from FS, find the airport you are starting from and right-click on the airport to 'start flightplan at...', then right-click on your waypoints (or add own waypoints). Took me a while too to find that.  :)

I often - when planning VFR - add the the start and finish airports first to get the bearings and then use the edit mode to drag the little square on the middle of the plan line to the waypoints.

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
Great tool, this Plan-G!
Just installed it, read the manual (!!!), and planned a flight. Sometimes you need a bit of patience, if running from a USB-stick like I do, but that is all the negative feedback I can think of. All compliments from there ...

Works like charm. Thanks for the pointer there, Ragnar :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16:02 am »
Kicking an old topic back to life, does FSC allow you to search for intersections? As much as I love PlanG and Project Magenta, I still need to produce FSX flight plans for Active Sky, and trying to find intersections in the FSX Flight Planner is painful (and I'm finding more and more intersections aren't called the same in FSX as they are in the AIRAC, or just don't exist in FSX at all...), and PlanG doesn't let to search for intersections, so I can't use that to make an FSX flightplan either.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:35:02 am by EHM-0654 Murray »
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:24 am »
(For an IFR plan) I usually take the http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ generated route line, and paste that into the FSC route string.
For that to work you need to have the "show route string" set to "on" in menu "Flightplan". Then press the "Start new plan" button from the top row of buttons, and just paste in the route string field. You don't even have to select your dep/arr airports, just copy the string inclusive the airports.

Not sure if FSC allows for intersection searches, but with a new FP started, a DEP and ARR a/p selected, I bet you can type in the intersection name in the route string and it will produce a route from "DEP" to "ARR" with waypoint "INT". Again: not sure what would happen if there are 2 or more intersections with the name you are searching for in the world...

This is all I can come up with from the confines of my office space. I hope it helps :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
I've DLed the trial of FSC, and the latest Navigraph data package (the benefit of always buying the annual updates package at the start of the year...), and I'll see how I get on.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:53 pm »
The trial version is fully functional, but the program will automatically terminate after 30 minutes. You can start FlightSim Commander again any number of times. By the way is the same with the Aerosoft FSC 9.0 ?, because actually I've the FSC8.06 by Sascha and Volker: http://www.fscommander.com/index.htm  ???

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 03:09:29 pm »
... I've the FSC8.06 by Sascha and Volker...

Me too, so my procedure goes for that version for sure, and maybe (probably...) for newer versions as well.

BTW, the routefinder procedure takes no more than 5 minutes (Start FSC, select default start airport, start new FP, select aircraft (if necessary), check "show route string", paste routefinder route, select arking position on DEP, FP save as..., "goto main FS folder", "OK", close FSC)  :D

You only don't get to follow your progress "live" on the FSC chart, but that can also be done by Plan-G ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »
For overseas flights I normally use the Route Finder and re-check it with the NATracks or the PACOTracks information from FSC8. In some cases I can also re-re-check it with Vroute. Also, sometimes, specially when flying on the South Atlantic Routes I have been forced to implement the User Waypoints feature wich is very helpful.
I am about to upgrade to FSC9 but still wondering whether it is worth it.
Althought I am not a VFR pilot I will try the Plan-G to have a look at it. It seems interesting.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:43 am »
Answering my own question thanks to the trial, not that I succeeded in doing it myself, but the search window in FSC does have intersections as a radio button (it was a disabled option when I was running it, but I haven't looked at the manual yet...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:14 am »
About the Intersections and airspaces, the manual said:
Intersections and fixes
Intersections can be displayed selectively. If the button Int is on, all intersections will be shown. If
the button Int is off and the button Vic is on, then victor airways and only the intersections on these
airways are shown. Similarly, if the button Int is off and the button Jet on, then jet airways and only
the intersections on these airways are visible.
If a flight plan involves GPS fixes, these will also be displayed irrespective of whether or not the
button Fix is on.
Note that we make a terminological distinction between intersections and GPS fixes. Intersections
are waypoints on an airway, while GPS fixes are merely geographic locations defined in terms of
latitude and longitude without having anything to do with airways.
I hope it helps :)

anything