Author Topic: Wild Flight Planning  (Read 3839 times)

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
Wild Flight Planning
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:20:15 pm »
Hi,

So I'm going to run the SU-80 scheduled services in and out of CYCG to the bigger airports and do the legs as well.

I'm just curious as to how you folks flying these bush routes plan them? Are you just plugging in CYCG-->Cxxx and flying direct via GPS/VFR?

I'm just planning the first in/out leg using FS Commander and trying to figure the optimum routings that will keep me from getting lost  8)

p.s. Bringing the SU-80 into CYCG from Calgary is a beautiful flight but that is a scary landing!

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Wild Flight Planning
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »
Hi Ted,

I'll always try to plan a VFR route for true bush flying, but if I encounter IMC, I want to be sure I can continue IFR.
So, my approach is roughly as follows:

create a low level route with FSC.
Study the charts and maps around this proposed route.
Lay out a VFR route that follows terrain and or man-made features (follow valleys, highways, rivers, etc.)
Identify visual reference points every 5 to 10 minutes of the route
Determine the minimum safe altitude for each segment, including the IFR route
punch in the IFR route in the GPS (load the flightplan as you saved it in FSC ;) )
Estimate or calculate the fuel needed
Fly the leg, and look around a lot. Absorb the environment. Enjoy!

That way, should you encounter weather that does not allow for VFR flight, you can always climb to the minimum safe level, and proceed to your next IFR waypoint.
All this planning takes a bit of time, but I find that it makes for a good part of the flying fun, this planning bit. Especially if it all works out as you planned :)

Have safe flights!
Go WILD  ;D

PS. Yes, the approach over the river from the east is always good for an adrenalin rush. Low and slow approach, with a steep, descending turn on short final. Phew!
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Re: Wild Flight Planning
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:53 am »
I use the freeware Plan-G for my VFR flight planning, as it provides Google's terrain mapping (along with all of Googles other mapping sources), so you can find plenty of low level routes to the places you want to go.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON