Author Topic: SIDS/STARS  (Read 2899 times)

EHM-1500 Jim

SIDS/STARS
« on: October 30, 2004, 07:07:33 pm »
Evening all. Have recently made my first ventures into on-line flying with IVAO and have just got FSNavigator and am just getting to grips with the basics. One question for you all - how do you know which SID to use for the depature runway(there seems to be a lot of choice) and the same for which STAR to use for the arrival rwy? All help appreciated, thanks, Jim

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
SIDS/STARS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 08:18:59 pm »
Normally you would be told by the Air Traffic Controller.  But the SID/STAR normally depends on the runway in use.

EHM-0001 Gergely

SIDS/STARS
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 09:15:04 pm »
how do you know which SID to use for the depature runway

Normally you have the TMA exit point (e.g. TORNO) in your flight plan. On the map, you'll see the SID for TORNO intersection for every runway. For example for 13R you'll have TORNO1F (this is at LHBP btw).

Normally you would be told by the Air Traffic Controller

The pilot has to determine the SID in accordance to the TMA exit point and the runway in use! The ATC will tell you only if you didn't enter it in the flight plan as you should.

EHM-1500 Jim

SIDS/STARS
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 01:14:46 pm »
Thanks Gergely. If i get you correct, i basically find the SID for my departure rwy that has a name the same as the first point on my flight plan - i think i know what you mean. Thanks

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
SIDS/STARS
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 09:45:06 pm »
I usually made compromises when creating flightplans. The basic point in selecting the SID/STAR is the route. If you connect the departure and arrival airports in FSNAV, you will clearly see, how the route will look like generally. This will be the base for further selection.

For SID, I first search an intersection that is close to the airport (max 50nm), it is in my way to destination, there is possbile jetway from that point heading to the destination, and it is an exit point of any SIDs of that airport. It will take some long minutes to browse through the map, and the SID descriptions to found it. When you found that intersection, you found the SID group name, that is usually a town, or intersection name. After it, select a departing runway according to winds, or that is in use according to ATIS info, and then you can select the correct SID you need. It sounds maybe quite difficult, but it could be very easy too, when flying in Canada, for example :)

Selecting the STAR is similar. For first, find an intersection, that is an enter point of any STARs, and it fits to the route. Then select the runway, or the ATC will tell you the runway when you are near the airport. Then you can pick up the map of correct STAR for that runway, and prepare for landing.

Selecting the SID/STAR is usually your choice if otherwise the ATC not tell the procedure in use. If you make a clever selection, and ask a clearance for it, you will probable got it.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold