Author Topic: Greece Online  (Read 2160 times)

EHM-1199 Philip

Greece Online
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:20:26 am »
Pleased to report I have now completed the whole of the Greece Tour online using IVAO. It made for a far enhanced experience. Although, especially when flying in and out of large airports like LGAV, there is actually far less traffic than flying off line with PAI traffic installed, the experience is far better for a number of reasons.

The weather makes for a real difference. I know I could set this in FS but the IVAO downloaded weather does seem to change quite smoothly without those switch on/off cloud effects I used to get from time to time in FS offline. Also, it has thrown some very challenging crosswind conditions into the mix and encouraged me to start taking a look at some of the lessons on FS to improve my flying. (I guess previous to flying online a lot I was flying well within my own comfort zone and online flying really does a great job of pushing you out of that comfort zone.)

Also, the online control which I have had for approximately half of the flights has been superb. It has really added to the sense of being part of a bigger picture instead of being the whole picture in my own little world.

In short, if anybody is considering taking the plunge into the online experience I would say 'go for it'. I made it my target to complete the whole tour online and did so. In truth I probably therefore flew slightly less frequently than I would otherwise as I spent more time preparing for the flights and consequently needed a bigger chunk of evening free to make an EHM flight. Now I have that sorted in my head I think I may well mix and match. If I have the time for an online flight it will always be online - if I'm slightly pressured for time I will cheerfully load up the PAI traffic and fly offline.

Thanks for all the help received here in getting me online.

:>

EHM-1438 Nikos

Greece Online
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 10:01:18 am »
You are right. Leaving in Greece and virtually flying mostly in Greece I have experienced the superb skills of Greek controllers. In fact most of them are real life controllers or pilots (commercial and private).
As for the weather the winds are a challenge in most periods of the year. Some airports like LGMK (Mikonos) have quite often during the winter winds above 30 knots with gusts above 50. Similar conditions occus also in LGPA and LGNX (Paros and Naxos respectively). Now, if you add the short runways on the last two airports you can get the whole picture.

anything