Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2007 Helsinki  (Read 7113 times)

EHM-2101 Tarik

Eurovision Song Contest 2007 Helsinki
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »
Shouldn't we all transport our singers, bands and equipments for Eurovision Song Contest to Helsinki. I think that it would be very nice event. Flights from every participating countries. ;)

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
Excellent Idea!
Only one problem for me. I'm Greek living in Switzerland. Which act should I transport.
(On a funnier note: If I was transporting Switzerland's DJ Bobo and his 'Vampires' I would happily open the passenger door in flight, even at the cost of the penalty points from the pilot logger!!)
Perhaps another good opportunity to set up a nice poll

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
We could have a timetable for every country, and people can sign up which country they want to fly for. Seeing as there will be many people transporting GB, I'll transport Croatia!

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:47:36 pm »
Guys,

I'm not deliberately trying to shelve this idea but I find myself having to make a few points.....

1) Eurovision takes place next Saturday night, all groups are already in Finland for the preliminary rounds, the build up events and filming of the fill spots.

2) Currently Helsinki (EFHK) is served by 8 European nations taking part in the contest on our timetable which means inserting a further 34 flights in to the database and updating it to take in to account the participating nations. This would be a mammoth task to complete before next weekend by any stretch of the imagination.

3) I would personally be more than happy to invest the man hours required to complete this task in time if I could be sure that it was an event that would be attended by only 20% of our pilots but sadly participation in this sort of event has been very weak of late and therefore probably a waste of our resources.

I understand that this was just a quick idea that was fired off, but I feel, before is starts to snowball out of control, that from a Management point of view I need to stress the work involved.

As a team, the management are always more than willing to put in the hours and prepare these events, but I must say, we need a little more than 5 days notice for a start! Try 6 weeks minimum, maybe even more!

Next, it is almost soul destroying for us to arrange events and fly ins to have the turnout result in approximately 5 people, the vast majority of which are MT members attending to bolster the event.

In the last week, we have launched new missions, installed a tutorial system both of which took 100's of man hours to prepare. We have a number of projects such as new tours for the UK and Portugal as well as more training material, massive amounts of repair and maintenance work on the site to name just a few of the myriad of projects ongoing. (Currently we have 44 project tickets live on our system all in various stages of development)

I am not trying to blow a horn for the MT, in fact quite the opposite! Recently our presence and support has been far short of what I would have liked due to many factors in the real world lives of our MT. I hope that we have this situation corrected somewhat now and I certainly feel that what we have on the development schedule for release over coming months will make up for our recent absence.

I guess I am asking, PLEASE don't stop coming up with ideas, but give us plenty of notice to get the things ready that would interest you! For instance, an idea that was generated by one of our pilots almost 4 months ago is only now beginning to be developed after months of discussion and a clearing of enough to work to allow manpower to develop it.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope you will not be too dissapointed if we don't have a EuroVision event this year...

Oh and PS...... Go Scootch!!!!  

Regards,
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-2101 Tarik

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:34 pm »
I absolutely understand that the idea was delivered to the staff too late (I almost knew it before posting this idea). And I was suprised that none of us hadn't already suggested this.

Since I'm quite new here I couldn't suggest this before. Well now on, I'll try to suggest my (sometimes not so good) ideas much earlier.

Oh, and I think that Finland has again the best song. :> Sweden and Moldova are also good.

Wishing good luck for everyone,
Tarik

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:24:31 pm »
Well, I must disagree..... Have a look at the UK entry..... We should all be voting for them... I was thinking of getting them to record our next promotional video! :) :) :)

They're called Scootch and the song is "Flying The Flag" plus they dress as Cabin Crew when they perform!!!!

http://www.eurovision.tv/content/view/472/282/

Click on the "Video"  tab to watch them.

:) :)

It makes me laugh everytime I see it,  especially the tongue in cheek comment near the end "Would you like someting to suck on for landing?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers,

**EDIT** It gets better check out the cheese!!! this is the official video for the single which got released today!

Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17:13 pm »
maybe we could do flights after the contest?

EHM-2101 Tarik

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:07:50 pm »
Matt, I think we don't have any Eurovision Flights this year.

Oh and Philip, if you want to laugh take a look for the Ukraine's song. :D