Author Topic: IVAO or Swakbox  (Read 6985 times)

EHM-1971 Mike

IVAO or Swakbox
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:53:13 am »
Which is easier to use IVAO or Swakbox?

EHM-2029 Sotiris

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:17:09 am »
Hi Matt,

well, as far as I understand sqwabox is just a predecessor to the teamspeak currently used by IVAp. So there's no real choice between the two.

I have had no problems with teamspeak so far, although I noticed somewhere that teamspeak servers will no longer be free to their providers which may cause availability problems in the future.
IVAO's Teamspeak servers though I believe are pretty secure and will continue to be available.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:33:29 am »
Squawkbox (SB3) and/or FSInn are the clients used on VATSIM, IvAp is the client used on IVAO.

To be honest, there's not a great deal of difference between all three... *personally* I find SB3 difficult to use, so prefer FSI when on VATSIM. If you are new to online flying, IMO you will find IVAO the friendlier and easier network to learn online flying procedures; you won't be treated like a leper or "pushed to the back of the queue" for getting procedures wrong there.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1500 Jim

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:40:44 pm »
Post moderated by EHM-0654 Murray

I have many (hundreds) of hours on-line with both networks and like them both in their own ways - i am not wishing to start a flame war by the way. I do find IVAO a bit more "relaxed" in general although i accept your point regarding regional variations. This is not a criticism as i still choose IVAO most of the time and love it as much as i did first time. VATSIM for me is more testing in terms of ATC proceedures and i would also recomend IVAO for learning. The Ivap software in my opinion is the better of the 2 network systems.
As i say, this is my personal opinion from many hours on boith networks and is not meant as a criticism of either.....if only there was 1 unified network??????

Jim

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:58:22 pm »
And I also don't want to ferment flaming, my comments above (and here) are personal opinion.

I must agree with you that IVAO-GB *is* becoming a lot more "professional", thanks to the fine work of Gareth and the rest of the staff there (yourself included) but it's still nothing like the right-wing fundamentalism that I have first-hand experience of from VATSIM-UK (and a good thing too :))

I'd agree with Jim that IvAp is a far more polished client (and far less prone to random crashing) In my few experiences with it, I found SB3 illogically laid out and frankly a little confusing (unlike IvAp) and while FSInn is far more logical, I suffered from client crashing - it's worth mentioning that I do have a moderately complex PC configuration for simflying however.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:21:37 pm »
Moderated by EHM-0654 Murray

Originally posted by EHM-1798 Conrad
Perhaps you should know what you are talking about before stating such things.

Conrad,

It is not often I find that it necessary to make a comment about a post that someone has made but your post above was quite out of order!

...Murray in no way personally attacked you or IVAO, he merely stated what is generally felt by most of IVAO's members (including the GB-DIR himself), which is why we fly mainly on IVAO and not VATSIM. (To us it is not a bad thing that things are a little less serious on IVAO!)

If, as you say Conrad, IVAO is becoming more realistic, there is nothing wrong with that so long as their is still space for the hobbyist.

Thank you.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1798 Conrad

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:55:21 pm »

[It is my opinion that] my post was not offensive and no apologies are needed. [And nor are they expected Conners - Murray]

EHM-2110 Matt

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:08:37 pm »
OK,

I really don't want any kind of flaming here but here is my 2 cents.

I do agree that IVAO has a more relaxed atmosphere, and VATSIM is more realistic (certainly in the UK).  Now I fly and control on IVAO and have the upmost respect for the GB staff who are increasing realism alot in the division. IvAp is the easier client to use, SB3 and myself never got along!  The difference i find with IVAO is there is much more tollerance for new pilots who are not experienced in the local procedures.  On VATSIM i have found that if you do not fly exactly right and as they expect you are seen as getting in the way of their realism whereas on IVAO I always felt more assisted to improve my skills as both controller and pilot.

So what I would say to Mike is that IVAO in places is as realistic as VATSIM, however if you want a little more assistance and not to feel like a burden when you don't do things quite realistically then choose IVAO.  If you want to throw yourself in t the deep-end and have much more stringent rules to follow then VATSIM is for you!

I hope this is seen as a neutral view as I have used both networks alot - I just feel VATSIM can be slightly more inflexible if you are not 100% sure what you are doing!

My 2 cents

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:57:59 pm »

Conrad,
I have contacted Gareth regarding this subject as you seem to wish to represent IVAO GB outside of it's own forums.

If you would like to communicate with me further, please use email.

Mike,
I am sorry that your thread was hijacked by what can only be described as a childish squabble and I apologise for my part in that. I can only suggest that you make your own mind up, I think you have had enough input from us!
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:22:28 pm »
Gareth Richardson, IVAO-GB Director, has asked that a short statement be added to the thread:

...this was a personal opinion from Conrad, and not in any way connected with the GB division [or it's] staff.

A number of other Virtual airlines also support both networks, which in my opinion is a fantastic thing to do. It allows those “serious” flyers to fly on one network, and the more “laid back” people to fly on the other.

The post(s) which have raised these issues have been moderated/removed and as such I'm prepared to unlock this thread (on the clear understanding that all parties "let it lie").

@Mike: Once again, on behalf of myself personally and the EHM Online Flying department, apologies that this thread of yours was hijacked and degenerated into a slanging match between a number of people (myself included).

@Conrad: In agreement with statements previously made, I don't hold you culpable for your statement following my initial post. It is my firm belief that misunderstanding caused this, which could so easily have been cleared up at the time by the subsequently modified post

I feel no animosity toward you and it is a shame that this matter got so far out of hand so very quickly. I hope this will not cloud what friendship I felt we had.

As a result of information passed on by Gareth, I would personally like to offer you my sincerest condolences on your recent loss; it would not be fair of me to speak publicly on this particular subject further, but please, know that you have it.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:56:53 pm »
Well, I may be immature sometimes, but I'm sorry I was not here to try to help sort things out. I like to help people with these sort of things like I showed in the UNHCR event page when some ranting went on.

I would just like to put in my input (I just want to make it clear I am not siding with anyone on this matter). I did not see Murray's initial post, but it must have said something wrong to cause this. Sometimes, people say things by accident, because of their strong opinion, or do things they regret. Murray is apologizing for what he said, which is the right and good thing to do, however, if someone says something wrong, the worst thing to do is make it worse, with saying something else that is offensive, but wasn't meant to be.
What I mean is, Murray said something bad, he apologized for his remarks. Conrad said something that he did not think sounded offensive, but is offensive to some people. Therefore, the least thing he could do is apologize, and say he didn't mean it that way, but he said he didn't feel he needed to apologize, which I find unpolite.

I feel the best solution to this is for everyone involved to say sorry for their misunderstanding, as Murray did, and if the person continues to flame other members for their view, some action is needed.

I am not trying to start an argument again, I'm merely trying to fix this one, as it seems to me not everyone is too happy with the outcome, I just want everyone to feel good, and I am NOT flaming particular members.

Finally, respect eatchothers opinions. People have different opinions, and it is not a good idea to challenge members about their opinions. Best of all, when you state your own opinion, don't try to make it seem like the best opinion, and think before you post. I made some bad mistakes like misinterpreting what Murray said about the training thingy, but that sorted itself out in the end.

I am sorry if I have misinterpreted anything that has happened, as I was not present at the time of the argument.

Anyway, now that I've had my little wise talk;D, I will say what I think of IVAP and Sqwkbox

I really don't mind the two. I find Sqauwkbox harder to get around, but in the end, they're the same thing, different style.

EHM-1343 Jonathan

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »
Ok, well i think we should leave this to the MT's of IVAO and EuroHarmony to deal with, I think all parties involved would appreciate it if it was swept under the rug so to speak, so if we can leave that issue to one side it would be appreciated!

IVAO all the way for me, I dont particularly like VATSIM, mainly because of the software!!

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:09:52 pm »
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

^That's the line we have drawn under this topic!!!! Can we please keep it on topic from here on. Thanks gents! :)
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

EHM-1821 Javier

IVAO or Swakbox
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:16:16 am »
I find myself flying on VATSIM much more recently as theres more ATC around the times i can fly. Sometimes, IVAO may have ATC where im flying while VATSIM does not so i'll fly on IVAO.

I find the Squawkbox interface quite easy to use actually, most of the things you need are under the start button.  Ivap's interface is certainly better looking, and also functional.

I joined VATSIM first but didnt have much idea how to fly online, eventually i left VATSIM for a period of time, joined IVAO and found it much easier to fly on. After many months, i'm back flying on VATSIM too along with ATCing.

anything