Author Topic: Crowded Skies V - 5 January 2008  (Read 5655 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Crowded Skies V - 5 January 2008
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:00 am »
Blame IVAO for the short notice... ;D

What with the post-Xmas fug, this one hasn't got a page (yet), but we want to see pilots in the air with the EuroHarmony callsign during Crowded Skies V this coming Saturday in order to push well past last year's record number of simultaneous connections - 1501.

Our "official" CS5 fly-in will be outlying hubs to Zurich (and/or the outgoing direction - Zurich to outlying hubs) to arrive 2100Z.

My lovely new PC isn't yet ready for FSX (nor is my wallet ;)) so I'll be using my old PC/setup and flying out of Zurich to Heathrow (what with my IVAO-UK affiliations, I feel they should get the "hard" part of my flight)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
OOo nice...
Ill grab the 320 or 737 for a ride if i can make it. Sounds like fun, hope we break the record ^^

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:04:28 am »
I unfortunately was struck with a nasty headache and couldn't participate at all (I am *so* angry about that... first CS I've missed since joining IVAO), and from what I've read on the IVAO HQ forum the network was beginning to buckle under the huge load (Amsterdam described as a slideshow by one poster) but there's a new record to live up to next year - 1926 unique simultaneous connections!

Well done to you if you took part.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

EHM-1617 Iain

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:26 am »
I was on London sector 2 (EGTT) for the evening. Up to around 2025z, the number of connections was increasing rapidly and it was starting to get rather busy! The maximum of connections number reached, immediately prior to the network spilt, was 1941 - with 15 duplicates - for a total of 1926 simultaneous connections.

After that, traffic fell off because people were logging off with network difficulties, and we couldn't see those who stayed online with any reliability either. Things got a little hectic then, but we did our best to offer traffic information to all participating, even without the aid of radar.

It was a great event, until the servers went berserk. Most people seem to think that we would have reached 2000+ connections had the network held out! We are assured that the network department are working on the issues, and that this event served as a useful load test for this purpose.

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:55:06 pm »
Same here,

I was APP and at our Athens Hub and after 2025 I was handling everyone with position reports and hoping that wherever they told me they were it was true.

It sure was a good lesson ahead of my C1 exam.
I just had written all the callsigns on a piece of paper, closed my eyes and tried to visualise the area.
It worked well, although no other plane could see anyone else.
I remember asking a traffic to wait at the holding point prior to another departure and he reported he could see no-one and couldn't understand why we was standing by.

IVAO sevrers have really taken a turn for the worse in the last year. Shame...
(On the upside, EHM's servers are massively upgraded since!!)

Here's to CS VI

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:11 pm »
So, did we broke the record ? ;D

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:43 pm »
Yeppers!!!

A whopping 1926 (it was 1941 but 15 where admin ghost connections).

Up a whole 425 (28%) from the last one!

Followed by some drama and back to back suspensions, featuring IVAO long standing old friend the SE Division ;D