Author Topic: Some Penalty descriptions need to be dynamically adapted  (Read 5160 times)

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
Some Penalty descriptions need to be dynamically adapted
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:33 pm »
Just completed my flight from Nice to Zaragoza. I was a little out of practice after 5 weeks without computer.

Anyway, looking at my ProPilot score for this flight I find some odd things. Some require the "description of the penalty" to be adapted to the proper text (for example, it says ascend when it is descend or otherwise), I think the flight logger uses a static text for the penalties rather than adapting it to the flight phase. The last penalty however is totally incorrect.

EHM-4018

1. Penalty:     Maximum 4500 fpm Vertical Speed exceeded     Score:     240.00     Description:     You descent on a excessive vertical speed (more than 4500 fpm).

This one was correct except that it was during ASCENT. The navigation error here was that I enabled the autopilot for the ascent after the initial take off configuration, I had set the AP altitude to 30000. The F70 has a quirk in which sometimes when you enable the AP+ALT it automaticallly sets the vertical speed to negative (thus trying to dive down). Workaround is to set the target altitude a little below (say 29800) then enable ALT and then immediately up the target altitude (30000) so that it correctly sets the V/S without glitch.  Anyway, this was my error, to forget about the workaround.
  -> The penalty description can be misleading, it does not adapt itself to the phase of the flight.

2. 280kn overspeed below FL100     Score:     150.00     Description:     You descent on FL100 on more than 280kn airspeed.

This was my 2nd error which ocurred during the initial ascent :( forgot to set my A/T with target speed. HOWEVER the description of the penalty is incorrect, this was during the ASCENT.

3. Take-off and landing lights not turned on     Score:     100.00     Description:     Your take-off was made without your landing lights turned on.

This is the weird one, when I was lined up at the runway at Nice I TURNED ON the landing lights after having completed the taxi to runway. Lights lever moved to ON and then I did the rest of my take off roll.

Here the text is also incorrect and misleading because the penalty was applied on descent but the text says "on takeoff".

So, it would be nice if the penalty descriptions become a little more dynamic rather than a static text that really throws you off when you read it :)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:23:45 pm »
Didimo, are these descriptions inside the flight logger (in which case I can do nothing about them) or on the website?
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2198 Didimo

• Climbing
    • http://www.virtual-aviation.net
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:53:23 pm »
Hi Murray, I suppose the website notifications come from the ACARS. So I suppose the answer to your question would be that Flight Logger.

Perhaps this was not the proper forum (?), I posted here because these are mainly useful for PP users as they have no effect for regular (nonPP) users.

Now something else comes to my mind... was FL an end-of-life product? now I seem to recall something about its development being abandoned by the creator, or am I mistaken?

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:07:57 pm »
It's not so much that FLv3 is end-of-life, it's just no longer being actively developed. That, to some extent, is why we started work on FLv4... :)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON