Author Topic: Different ideas for Fly-ins  (Read 6263 times)

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
Different ideas for Fly-ins
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:57:32 pm »
Although the monthly fly-ins are a great oppurtunity for seeing some of the best scenery FS has to offer, I think they can also be used to other things as well. Instead of a simple A-B flight, we could set it so everyone must have a particular type of weather, or something along those lines.

I haven't though too deeply into different ideas we could use but first I would like to ask everyone else whether they have some ideas I could implement into future events?;D

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:57:55 pm »
I think making everyone set a particular type of weather  would be a very good idea and would increase the challenge of a fly-in! It would make the average flight more exciting! Imagine flying from London Heathrow to Paris in  non-stop stormy weather! Great idea Matt!! ;D I think also ensuring people use the same type of aircraft could be a good idea also! I dont fancy flying the Beechcraft in stormy weather for a good distance do you? ;D
Brian McGloughlin /  EHM-1980

EHM-2029 Sotiris

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:56:13 pm »
Hi All,

I'm 100% on this one. Short flights, with difficult approaches and bad weather. Definitely gives a new meaning to the whole hobby of flying.

I don't want to sound negative at all on this. I find adverse weather flying a great thing to do.
The only problem lie with IVAO in that IvAc automatically updates the weather every so often.
Which means that even if we choose really bad weather it will only last us until the next update.
On the other hand there is always some place on earth where flying is challenging but the trouble is we can't really plan for it well in advance.

So how about planning a 'heavy weather' session and then after we all gather up in TS we can choose whichever place looks the worst at that time!

Count me in!

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:01:53 pm »
Hmm, that is a good point Sotiris and I didn't think of that. I'm sure we'll find a way around it though!

I like the idea of meeting up on the TS server beforehand to pick the plane that's most likely to fall apart:]

Offline EHM-1980 Brian

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:01:30 pm »
good idea Sotiris! That is perhaps the right way to go... ;D
Brian McGloughlin /  EHM-1980

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:28:22 pm »
I was just looking at the page "Eurobusiness's sad statistics", and I got an idea.

How about an all out Eurobusiness fly-in? I don't think that's been done before. The fly-in can be done with the bad weather if you all wish;D

EHM-1343 Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:52:08 am »
Sounds like there are some good ideas flying about...I like the idea of challenging approaches, ie. Innsbruck, everyone should fly the correct procedures for the landing like in real life...its great fun!...Perhaps we could arrange a fly-in where we all fly to the same destination, however you can take off from different airports...for example, some people could fly a long flight from Portugal, other people can do a short class 1 flight from inside Austria...But as long as everyone meets at the same point at the same time!!

regards!

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 05:23:45 pm »
I like that idea Jon! It might be quite difficult and needs a lot of planning, but that's the fun of flying isn't it!;D

EHM-1343 Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 06:23:45 pm »
well...not really :P Tell everyone to fly to an airport, organize ATC for that airport and we are sorted :D:D

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 07:31:33 am »
Obvious suggestion (since you're looking for bad weather...); this time of year it's hurricane season in the Carribean. You'll have a job finding more difficult weather :)
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1883 Matt

• Martian transfer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:05:54 pm »
I think I will probably start some of these ideas with the first few fly-ins next year. Because I'm new to the job, I'll stick to simple things until the end of this year, but I hope to have a very wide range of fly-ins next year, from difficult weather with tricky approaches to slow and gentle VFR flights around beautiful areas of the virtual world! (and don't worry Murray, there's always a good storm in the Carribean;D)

Keep the suggestions coming guys, we've got some good ones so far;)