Author Topic: Heathrow's 3rd Runway expansion plans  (Read 6567 times)

Offline EHM-2309 Joshua

• Gear up
Heathrow's 3rd Runway expansion plans
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:01:11 pm »
Hi,

For all of you who are interested, I am currently writing a 4000 word extended essay, and need some help for it. I have to assess the likely consequences to the environment of heathrows 3rd runway. I am currently sifting through the intenet finding sites that have interesting information on. Can any of you help me?
I also need some information about the laws at EHAM for taxiing after landing etc (with one engine turned off) as I need to suggest ways for Heathrow to continue cutting carbon emmissions. If anybody could help me with this, then it would be fantastic.
I would appreciate all links to be posted on here. Or you can email me with more information for me.

Thanks,

Joshua
EHM-2309

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: Heathrow's 3rd Runway expansion plans
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:35:40 pm »
Hello Joshua !

Is it for hobby or is it a job ??? It must be interesting though  ;D Good luck ! You can find some info on AIP Netherlands site, the source I used too for EHAM Ops Manual. But I think you cannot find much more than you already mentioned:
- turn off at least 1 engine on arriving 3-4 engine planes
- near buildings use minimum possible thrust for turning
- do not use reversers during the night
- use CDA approach during the night
- use minimum possible flaps (higher approach speed) until 1200 feet
- use APU as few as possible

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:51:11 pm »
Also, have a good read of the current textual data from the UK AIP for Heathrow - http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=94&Itemid=143.html

That way, you'll know what your starting point is (haven't checked in a while, they may already have APU usage restrictions...) It probably also worth pointing out that, if you are unaware, one of the big "future tech" solutions to carbon emissions in aircraft engines may well be so-called "open rotor" designs, which are remarkably fuel efficient, but at the cost of huge noise - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/12/nasa_open_rotor_trials/ (also, P&W have a geared TF engine in testing that may prove a useful halfway house solution... it uses less fuel than any current engine and is no louder - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/18/geared_turbofan/) At the end of the day, it may come down to crusty versus nimby in the battle over carbon/noise...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:06:48 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2309 Joshua

• Gear up
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »
The essay if for my college course, the IB. We have been set an essay which has to be 4000 words, and we have to think of the title ourselves and do it all ourselves, I have the 9 weeks over the summer to finish  the 1st draft.
Many thanks to both of you for help. If you find anything else that is interesting about environmental impacts over Heathrow's 3rd runway, I would be glad to hear about it.  :) :)

Joshua

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:38:51 pm »
I guess it is already planned by officials, but I think optimizing SID and STAR routes will be necessary too. Maybe you could prepare an analization of current departure and approach corsaes and estimate new ones for the 3rd runway...

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:26:48 am »
I think more runways actually save in CO2 emissions...
Think about it... in a crowded airspace like London, you have airplanes circling around in holding patterns many times wasting fuel. If there was a way to bring them down faster, thats a lot of fuel saved... provided that they dont take the new runways as an excuse to bring in more airplanes a day. That should remain unaltered.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:34:13 am by EHM-2155 Mariano »

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:56:02 am »
I guess it is already planned by officials, but I think optimizing SID and STAR routes will be necessary too. Maybe you could prepare an analization of current departure and approach corsaes and estimate new ones for the 3rd runway...

Funnily enough, for the rwy proposal I saw on the news ages ago (#3 to the north of the current northern rwy) all the STARs would remain the same as they'd be bringing in the traffic to the same FAF. SIDs would need a little modification, but not much.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2309 Joshua

• Gear up
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry that I posted and then never ended up getting back to you. Your posts were all very helpful, and I took them all on board. A good bit of help came from EHM-2155, so much thanks Mariano. I ended up talking about the economic, social and environmental impacts of the 3rd runway and possible terminal 6 expansion.
My teacher has marked it, but wouldnt tell me the exact mark. She said that the IBDP exam board will give it a good 'official' mark as well. I ended up concluding that the expansion should not go ahead, and that another London airport (such as stansted) should be expanded instead, or that London does what other major cities have done (Paris, Hong Kong) and move their major airports further out of the city. Apparently the essay was written from the view point of someone who wanted it to go ahead, to someone who wasnt so sure anymore. But it swayed my teacher into thinking the expansion of Heathrow was a good idea!!

Thanks for all your help,

Joshua
EHM-2309

anything