Author Topic: Question for you real-world pilots  (Read 4926 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Question for you real-world pilots
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »
Here's a question that has been prompted by a discussion we're shortly going to be having in the MT (read Andrei's post about ProPilot the rest of you)...

In real-world flight operations, when do you turn off the landing lights in flight during the climb-out phase, and when do you turn them back on during descent? I'd dearly love to hear back from ATPLs as well as PPLs (are any of you out there ATPLs?)

If you want anonymity, email me an answer, but otherwise please post replies here.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Re: Question for you real-world pilots
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:59 pm »
When we receive take off clearance, "cleared for take off," the captain will turn on the landing lights. They will remain on until 10,000 feet. The pilot flying will call "10 thousand" prompting the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) to turn off the lights. Many aircraft have the lights embedded in the wing. The lights on the Airbus 320 fleet extend downwards from under the wing. They cause some drag and we pilots liken them to "mini" speed brakes. We would stow these lights if we plan on exceeding 250 knots below ten thousand feet during climb.

When descending through 10,000 the lights will go on as part of the "in-range" checklist. The in-range checks should be done while descending through 10 thousand feet or about ten minutes from landing.

In a private plane,, at least, it's legal to land with the landing light off (or broken), as long as you're not carrying passengers.

There's some evidence that leaving landing lights on below 3,000 feet helps avoid bird strikes, at least for light aircraft. I'm not sure how much that applies to airliners, with the higher speeds.

If you're intercepted by police or military aircraft and can't make radio contact, turning on your landing light is part of the procedure for signalling that you're ready and willing to follow the interceptors.

Light single-engine aircraft often have only one landing light, which also serves as a taxi light -- it's normally on a wing (e.g. Cessna) or right under the propeller (e.g. Piper). Some owners have two or three landing lights installed, so that they'll look more like airliners on a night approach :-)

The foregoing was found at: http://www.fromtheflightdeckbook.com/2009/04/question-on-landing-lights.html

My personal experience with light aircrafts I have flown from C152 to AC680 is that you are supposed to turn the lights on whenever your are inside  tower controlled airspace which is normally 10 nm around.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

rich555

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:36:11 pm »
Yes, i fly the b737-800 and its true that once we receive takeoff clearence we turn on the retractable landing lights (fixed are on for taxi), with my a/c we turn the retractable lights off as part of the after t/o checks some skippers turn them off straight away it supposedly saves a small amount of fuel and the fixed off at 10,000,

We turn the fixed landing lights on as we descend through 10,000 and once landing clearence received then the retracts come on again

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »
Skippers  ;D

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:38 pm »
Tiniest bit OT, but anyone know any non-payware B738 models that have both sets of landing lights?
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

anything