Author Topic: "The Two Towers" Fly-In  (Read 5526 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
"The Two Towers" Fly-In
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »
The next fly-in is coming - to mark the end of Summer in Northern Europe we invite you to join us on a sun-chasing flight from Leipzig (EDDP) to Ajaccio (LFKJ) in sunny Corsica on 6th October at 1800 Z on the IVAO network.

So mark it in your diaries and post any questions or problems here so we can help you plan for the flight (especially any of you who are new to online flying ;)

Full details of the route will be posted soon on the Online flying pages together with charts and scenery links, so don't miss out!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:53:50 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: "The Two Towers" Fly-In
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:01:55 am »
Gents,

The fly-in page is now live so please check out the details and sign up ;)

The scenery and charts links will be updated shortly. Let us know here if you have any questions...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:35:28 am by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »
Hi all,

It appears that we have less pilots registered for this fly-ins than usually (very few in fact...).

We suspect that communication related to the event has been disturbed by the server problems we had last week. If this is the case, let me announce that:

1) The fly-in will take place as scheduled next Tuesday (October 6th). We have talks with the concerned IVAO divisions to ask for ATC coverage and as such it's better to have a smaller fly-in as scheduled than none at all.

2) We still expect all interested pilots to join. It is a known fact that many EHM pilots prefer flying online, and such an event is an opportunity to do it together. For those who may fear the "online pressure", please note that we generally choose routes that "avoid" the busiest airports so that these fit for both experienced and beginner online pilots.

3) As stated in the registration form, registering for these fly-ins is by no means mandatory, but it sure helps us when participants do register. Most important, an accurate estimate of the number of participants is useful when requesting ATC, because it allows division staff to plan the ATC coverage for the best of "both sides".

See you Tuesday evening!

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:17:18 pm »
Unfortunately I could not join the pack at the end. Family activities started in bad time, and my FS became black when all the necessary tools were loaded... I could see only the Ivap and chat window, no other graphics. My FS2004 just hates ATI Radeon !!!!!!!!!! These things have never happened with the GeForce board  :'(

Have good flight guys ! It seems the weather was awful there, hopefully it will be better at Corsica ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:35:57 pm »
After an hour on the ground, I too had a crash after take-off, then once FSX restarted the CDU couldn't control the aircraft (and when I turned off the AP altogether, the controls weren't responding at all).

I've called time tonight (need to have dinner), but I *am* going fly this very same route tomorrow (same bat time, same bat channel) so if anyone wants to join me for an impromptu EHM fly-in, you're more than welcome.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:19:15 am »
It was really an event to remember. I paid the price for not updating the scenery at EDDP for it took me forever to reach the holding point at RWY 26R since I had to hold while taxiing in N taxiway for the landing aircrafts in RWY 26L. It was raining all the time, visibility was fair but dark because I fly in real time.
Then after reaching cruise level I had a flame-out on both engines because, for a reason that I still don't know, the center tank fuel pumps were not on and the wing tanks got empty. I started to descend to maintain the speed above stalling and could finally re-start the engines at about 3000'. I was lucky I had not reached the Alps yet. This happens when you fly an aircraft that you are not too used to. I should have used my old and faithful A320 but this time I chose the OpenSky B738. Bad choice. Not because the plane but because the pilot.
After that, everything went good except for a near-miss while climbing. I had to abrutply interrupt the climb at FL250 to avoid a mid-air disaster. The landing at Ajaccio was cool and dandy.
Then I realized that I forgot to activate the Flight Logger so I will have to fill the PIREP manually. Tomorrow.
Andrei got Ajaccio first and then Franz. He kindly waited for me to land and took a good number of shots which probably will be posted later.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:06:15 am by EHM-1749 Hector »

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:29 am »
An "eventful event" for me too... and because of me. I choosed to fly the Feelthere A320 (over the F100) to take benefit of the recently updated NAVDATA, instead of matching a FS9 plan to the quite different reality waypoints.

However I had not flown the A320 for long and was punished for this. First I had a very hard time starting the engines (and I think I somehow blocked Franz on the apron because of this).

Then for an unknown reason the aircraft gave up accelerating on the runway and for a moment I was tempted to abort takeoff. However the runway was long enough and by disabling every auto-something I could bring her airborne. After this "forced take-off" it took me minutes of erratic airspeed / climb speed to bring everything to normal and under AP control.

Finally, during approach, after a very smooth capture of the localizer, for some other unknown reason the AP did not want to follow the glideslope so finals and touchdown were 100% manual.

Now I can't complain, because during the flight I was reading the aircraft booklet so it was to expect I would miss one or two things. I definitely need more practice with this aircraft...

Overall it was an interesting experience. The next (fly-in) will be better though :)

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:15:27 pm »
My thanks to Trevor for accompanying "the boss" on my flight tonight; gave me someone to talk to while we had no ATC after take-off.

Everything went brilliantly right up until I got to Corsica and started descending, then my A/T wouldn't keep a slow enough speed (below 250kts) and the airframe folded in on itself, and then insult to injury, once FSX restarted me (back at AJO, and at FL220!), the piggin' AP dived into the sea while descending on the piggin' glideslope!

Maybe, just maybe, I'll try again over the weekend...
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

anything